Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what do you all do for work? how many are self employed?

araitn - I am just throwing this out to you. You could consider getting a colostomy and then have no more 'accidents'. I have a descending colostomy and irrigate every other day - takes 30 minutes and I never have to carry anything in the bag. I know it sounds radical but , it is worth thinking about...
    good luck.
    Jon

I returned to university in 2004 after working for 15 years and completed my Masters degree (environmental science) and then got sucked into continuing on to do a PhD, started in 2006. After injury in 2007 I have been able to creatively change the focus of my research to shift from things that require field work (I was looking at flooding in wetlands but getting around is pretty difficult now and even a bit of time in a 4WD on rough roads is a problem) to more computer based. My prior work was 50% field based, so I've skilled up on using satellite imagery to research how wetlands respond after flooding and have had a lot of offers of consultancy work using these skills.

Biggest issues for me have been concentration at uni (hard to concentrate when you have 'ant' crawling up and down your legs all day or unrelenting pain) and going to conferences - sitting in a room full of people really stresses me out from fear of having an accident, embarrassment at having to get up and go to the bathroom multiple times during a session, meeting collegues I haven't seen for a few years and trying to explain why I walk so funny, sharing accomodation with work collegues etc etc.

I am between jobs and a rock and a hard place... Just got retrenched from work... I wouldn't say retrenched more like... ah anyway not gonna bore with details... I am considering quite seriously a change in life - I did half a B.Psych about 12 years ago the only reason of which I left was the lack of money doing the degree and well the promise of worldly wealth... I quit uni to work in film and TV... that only lasted a few years then I got a job as a marketing assistant with a firm and worked and wriggled myself into a hailstorm when the company forced me to resign about 3 months ago not before I become product line sales manager. I did a course last year on compliance management and ISO9000 - I got a job as a compliance manager for a manufacturing firm which I have been at till recently (1 week ago). I hated it with a passion anyway...

I am making plans to sell the house to finance the next couple of years not working while I do my Psych degree... See where that leads me...
    Last edited by Keiser; 01-23-2009 at 04:27 AM.

I was working in a Casual fine dining restaurant before my accident about 14 months ago. There is no way I can get back into that so looking at going back to school.

What I really want to do is work in a rehab center as a psychologist of some sort speaking with new SCI patients.
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

I am a dog trainer. I love it but it is not easy to make it full time work. I am also going to university part time taking BSc with the goal being a major in zoology with a specialty of ethology - especially animal communication.
    I basically want to do the same thing I am doing but earn more money doing it. It seems adding degrees to my experience will help me accomplish this.

I've been working for over 22 years first as an engineer and now I am a management consultant and I travel to where my clients are. I do go into the office on occasion but I mostly wake up early Monday morning (usually the first digit on the clock is 3 for 3 something a.m.), head to the airport, work out of town until Thursday, and fly back to Chicago on Thursday night or Friday. I have had some local jobs and then drive to that location. I have spent 50 weeks out of town in some years. I love the work and the new challenges all the time so it makes up for the travel.

I am on disebility. Impossible to get a job in Oslo if you are dis. I have tried for 30 years and had some temporary jobs and I have been working l have been working as volunteer for years.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    I've been working for over 22 years first as an engineer and now I am a management consultant and I travel to where my clients are. I do go into the office on occasion but I mostly wake up early Monday morning (usually the first digit on the clock is 3 for 3 something a.m.), head to the airport, work out of town until Thursday, and fly back to Chicago on Thursday night or Friday. I have had some local jobs and then drive to that location. I have spent 50 weeks out of town in some years. I love the work and the new challenges all the time so it makes up for the travel.
    Wow up to fifty weeks a year business travel in a wheelchair, that's awesome! You must have air travel in a wheelchair down to a science! Any good tips to share?

Proud mom of a US Marine Sgt., Camp Lejeune, NC
    I own a business making custom bridal and formal wear and adaptive clothing
    If the Army & the Navy ever look on heavens scenes, they will see the streets are guarded by United States Marines!

www.jccarolinaformals.com
    www.myspace.com/jccarolina
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Car...10436735695158

Quote Originally Posted by jccarolina View Post
    I own a business making custom bridal and formal wear and adaptive clothing
    awesome. i feel as a community there is allot we have to offer in the custom/bespoke/made to measure/art worlds! work at home, at your own pace, when you are feeling well. and, it's good for the body and mind.........i make bikes. steve.