Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: what do you all do for work? how many are self employed?

what do you all do for work? how many are self employed?

just wonderin'. maybe we can turn this into a constructive "you can" and "how do I" thread. here's what i do: www.coconinocycles.com feel free to quiz me. i'm all ears. steve.

Good idea Steve. I'm moving this to the Work, School & Money forum.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Currently, I'm on long term disability from my employer. Before my injury, I worked 18 years in a local community savings bank. I was a vice president, compliance officer, and assistant financial officer. If I could get my neuropathic pain under control and get my bowel problems in somewhat of an order, then maybe I could get back to work; however, it doesn't look to promising right now.
    T11 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by araitn View Post
    Currently, I'm on long term disability from my employer. Before my injury, I worked 18 years in a local community savings bank. I was a vice president, compliance officer, and assistant financial officer. If I could get my neuropathic pain under control and get my bowel problems in somewhat of an order, then maybe I could get back to work; however, it doesn't look to promising right now.
    how long have you been injured? how about working at home? do you WANT to work? {not a swipe at you} steve.

Smile

I work with the mentally ill for a non for profit business out of a group home. Residential supervisor on the midnight shift. Easy job most the time or i wouldnt be able to do it. I am having surgery in May of this year and will see after that if i am going to apply for SS. The surgery is for weight loss but i cant have any spinal surgery with out losing weight so... Right now its the fibromyalgia that is driving nails in my coffin. Its kinda nuts that Fibro would send me way over the edge after all i have endured..I was one of those people that thought it was baloney. LOL. figures huh.
    “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

WoW, really good stuff you're doing there Steve. I work for my tribe, I only work part time, I gave up my full time job 2 years ago just cuz I wanted a break and I like it. I agree with Araitn it would be impossible to go back to work if you don't have your bowel and bladder under control, I'm grateful thats not the situation with me.

What kind of work can i start doing on the web,i have a plumbing company so my dad runs my teams and i do the reports on the com ,but his geting old so i need to start looking for something i can do from home on computer

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    how long have you been injured? how about working at home? do you WANT to work? {not a swipe at you} steve.
    Yeah, I have the desire to work, but it's just not possible right now. I've been injured for almost 15 months and my employer is still holding my job for me, but my leave of absence will end in a couple of months.

My pain just continues to get worse and no, I'm not a wimp or a puss. I endured Sarcoidosis of the muscles prior to my sci without taking any medication, and it was very painful, but I continued to work. This current pain is the worst pain I have ever felt and I wouldn't wish it on my biggest enemy, not that I have any. No drugs are doing any good, they just make me fuzzy headed. On top of that, my bowels just have a mind of their own and I have accidents multiple times a day. I'm doing everything by the book.... bowel program, lots of fiber, lots of fluids, etc. My physiatrist is trying to get my insurance to pay for an extended inpatient rehab stay at a SCI facility a couple of hours from my house to work on my bowel and bladder problems, again. So, we'll see.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not just sitting around taking handouts.

I showed my brother your website and he liked your work. He said that he would have been interested in purchasing a bike from you if he hadn't just ordered one from another place.

Thanks for the post.
    T11 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by araitn View Post
    Yeah, I have the desire to work, but it's just not possible right now. I've been injured for almost 15 months and my employer is still holding my job for me, but my leave of absence will end in a couple of months.

My pain just continues to get worse and no, I'm not a wimp or a puss. I endured Sarcoidosis of the muscles prior to my sci without taking any medication, and it was very painful, but I continued to work. This current pain is the worst pain I have ever felt and I wouldn't wish it on my biggest enemy, not that I have any. No drugs are doing any good, they just make me fuzzy headed. On top of that, my bowels just have a mind of their own and I have accidents multiple times a day. I'm doing everything by the book.... bowel program, lots of fiber, lots of fluids, etc. My physiatrist is trying to get my insurance to pay for an extended inpatient rehab stay at a SCI facility a couple of hours from my house to work on my bowel and bladder problems, again. So, we'll see.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not just sitting around taking handouts.

I showed my brother your website and he liked your work. He said that he would have been interested in purchasing a bike from you if he hadn't just ordered one from another place.

Thanks for the post.
    yeah, man - that totally sucks. can you work via the internet? my shop is 10ft away from my house, luckily.......a good thing. with an SCI you just never know how your day is gonna go........ what's your pain? let's work on this.......steve.

araitn, do you have a lower motor neuron bowel? Have you tried using imodium to reduce accidents? That is the only thing that works for me (imodium & fibercon) - I also have bowel movements several times a day but as long as I keep the stool firm I can make it to the bathroom before it becomes an accident. Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003