Thread: baclofen pump questions

baclofen pump questions

i had a tumor removed from my spine it was fro m c2 to c7 the surgery was on august 20 2008 . it temporarily paralized the right side oof my body iwas prescribed baclofen orally and i spent 2 months in inpatiet physical therapy i had to learn to walk again my neurosurgeon recently recomended the baclofen pump because ihave muscle spasms, stiffness and tremors mostly on the right side of my body daily. i dont use a cane or a walker to walk i just walk slow and with a limp. should i wait a while and try more physical therapy or go with the baclofen pump. could some one tell me their befor after story like spasm befor and after and is thre any one who has no tremors or spasms after getting baclofen pump

You may want to check out the Balofen Pump FAQs Thread in the Care forum. Yes, the pump has greatly decreased my spasms, I would highly recommend one.
    Dave
    C5/C6 complete
    http://www.davegrotzinger.com
    http://www.daves-webdesign.com

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me guaranteed..." - Eddie Vedder

Quote Originally Posted by sweetd View Post
    i had a tumor removed from my spine it was fro m c2 to c7 the surgery was on august 20 2008 . it temporarily paralized the right side oof my body iwas prescribed baclofen orally and i spent 2 months in inpatiet physical therapy i had to learn to walk again my neurosurgeon recently recomended the baclofen pump because ihave muscle spasms, stiffness and tremors mostly on the right side of my body daily. i dont use a cane or a walker to walk i just walk slow and with a limp. should i wait a while and try more physical therapy or go with the baclofen pump. could some one tell me their befor after story like spasm befor and after and is thre any one who has no tremors or spasms after getting baclofen pump
    I also have a Metronic Baclofen/morphine pump since 2/2008 and it has worked great in decreasing the increased tone/pain in my back and legs. I would look into it first but I would strongly consider it if I were you based off of what you are saying. Physical therapy can make you stronger, make you have more muscular endurance, and improve your gait and balance but it can't decrease spasicity. There are certain techniques that can very temporary decrease the spasicity and some medications but they tend not to be helpful if your spasicity is an issue. The Baclofen is a muscle relaxer and will eventually help w/your spasicity. Just a warning if you decide to go forward.. It will take several months for them to find the right combination of Baclofen and medication before you notice a real difference but I believe it will work for you. Your functional gait and balance will get better and it is a possibility that you will walk w/out any assistive devices if you are currently using? Good luck and ask me any questions. I'ld be glad to answer your questions based on my experiences. God bless and God speed!
    Brian

"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, The courage to change the things we can, And the wisdom to know the difference."

Serenity Prayer

none

no im currently walking without any assistive equipment i just walk with a limp and i walk very slow. but the spasms are primarily on the right side of my body so the left side is almost normal but i can walk pretty far on a good day. so cO:Uld any 1 tell me there b4/ after stoy with the bacl ofen pump and are there any alternatives to baclofen orally any drugs that can be taken orally in place of baclofen orally so is it beneficial because im doing a lot better than most of the people that ive read about who have gotten the pump

Hello....I need some help...I've had MS for 19 years now and I just had a bolus trial....I love the Gumby effect-it sure beats the spasms! The pump is a big YES but I'm scared. Scared of the unknown mainly, so any info on the before, during, or after is sooo welcome and very appreciated.

SweetD yes there are 40 flavors of muscle relaxants out there for oral use some are addictive and some are not. But finding the right one for you if you do not like Baclofen is something that has to be worked out with your Doctor and will require a lot of trial and error ,and means possible long periods of spasms with agents that do not work for you.

Marteeneny123 I have a friend who is a fellow quad who had a pump installed three years ago and he went from not being able to speak to a person due to spasms to being able to chew my ear off for hours at a time after implantation and titration of his Baclofen dose he is at 520mg and doing great, I myself take it orally but then again i take everything but the kitchen sink.

Good Luck to both of you!

The pump is not for everyone. You should see a few neurosurgeons before making such a committment. It's a nasty surgery and if your skinny, the pump will show through. Have you tried Artane or Sinemet? These are parkinsons developed drugs, but do wonders for spasticity and dystonia. I would exhaust your oral options before doing abdominal surgery, especially when they have to work around your spinal cord. Good luck

I just had the pump installed in my right belly, right now i can feel the pump move espcially when i go to get up it really hurts cause the pump is pushin against me? my question is will that get better in time?

My son is having the pump removed in about a week. For him, it was a big mistake having it installed. Big issues is that you are at the mercy of the doctors to have dosages adjusted, and there have been issues with the pump misfunctioning causing comas and death even though that occurred in only 1 out of 3,000 cases. We would recommend exhausting every other option before having a pump installed.