Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thoracic syrinx

Unhappy thoracic syrinx

can someone tell me why so much pian....my recent mri stated that i have mid thoracic syrinx cavity the syrinx involves a 4cm length with a maximum diameter of 3mm at T6 level the syrinx appears essentially stable...they say is tiny... i want to know if it's tiny why do i have so much pain...i can't sleep.. when i do fall a sleep i wake up yelling of pain..my back gets stuck i can't move..please explain someone why it's so painfull as am writting this i'm in pain... i also have L4 l5 and L5-S1. A SMALL CENTRAL DISC PROTRUSION AND MILD CANAL STENOSIS ARE PRESENT AT L4 L5 AND BILATERAL FORMINAL NARROWING IS NOTED AT BOTH THE L4-L5 AND L5-S1 LEVELS TOO MUCH CHORNIC PAINS SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY IF THEY SAY MY SYRINX IS TINY WHY I HAVE SOM MUCH PAIN MAYBE THE READ IT WRONG? THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME......

I also have a few syrinx, one of c4, and another one on c6-c7. I got hurt and they "accidently" found it and i was born with it. I am unsure if the pain that is am dealing with is bone/muscles, or the syrinxs. But then again doctors dont know everything, small break just hurts as much as a big break. Hang in there buddy..

Quote Originally Posted by yvetteyoungstown View Post
    can someone tell me why so much pian....my recent mri stated that i have mid thoracic syrinx cavity the syrinx involves a 4cm length with a maximum diameter of 3mm at T6 level the syrinx appears essentially stable...they say is tiny... i want to know if it's tiny why do i have so much pain...i can't sleep.. when i do fall a sleep i wake up yelling of pain..my back gets stuck i can't move..please explain someone why it's so painfull as am writting this i'm in pain... i also have L4 l5 and L5-S1. A SMALL CENTRAL DISC PROTRUSION AND MILD CANAL STENOSIS ARE PRESENT AT L4 L5 AND BILATERAL FORMINAL NARROWING IS NOTED AT BOTH THE L4-L5 AND L5-S1 LEVELS TOO MUCH CHORNIC PAINS SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY IF THEY SAY MY SYRINX IS TINY WHY I HAVE SOM MUCH PAIN MAYBE THE READ IT WRONG? THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME......
    Yvette,

Pain comes from many causes. Many people have syrinxes but don't have pain. In my opinion, syrinxes occur when there has been adhesions between the spinal cord and the surrounding arachnoid membrane that hold the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). Because the CSF cannot flow as well in the space surrounding the cord, some of it is shunted into the central canal and enlarges it, causing a syrinx which is an enlarged central canal.

I suspect that your pain comes from whatever that is causing the adhesions and obstructions of CSF flow in your spinal cord. They can come from multiple herniated discs, surgery or hemorrhage in the spinal cord, or other problems. You also have reason to have pain in your lower back from the herniated discs there. You don't really need any more reasons for pain.

Regarding therapies, most neurosurgeons are reluctant to operate on anybody who is in pain and there is no physical signs that they have had neurological loss from the condition that they are being operated for. I think that this is true in China as well as the U.S. If there is something that can be operated on, they are often willing. But, if not, they are not interested.

Wise.

My husband's neurosurgeon said that he had a syrinx. They wanted to shunt it, but we did some research and found Dr. Falci at Craig Hospital in Denver CO. I sent them his films and they said that he did not have a syrinx but instead a tethered cord. He had alot of scar tissue that was blocking the csf flow. He just had the surgery a little over 1 month ago....so I guess we will see how things go from here. Dr. Falci came in the day before we left to come home and said that his spinal cord looked really good and that he had a good chance of recovery. We will keep praying that he is right. Here is a link to their site:

http://www.craighospital.org/SCI/rehabNeurosurgery.asp

Thank you mr. Young for responding to my letter.
    It really help answer my question...

Thank you... I will be praying for him.

Hello Yvette

I have recently been diagnosed with a thoracic sryinx after a car accident. After 8 months of physio and hydro therapy I feel it is only getting worse. I very much understand your pain. I have been given Lyrica which is a nerve blocker as well as pain medication. I also take valium at night to reduce the muscle pain.

I don't know what my prognosis is as yet but know that something will have to be done.

Your message attracted my attention because I am also Yvette, in Australia. Keep in touch - let me know how you are going - I will do the same. I have an appointment next week for more results. Crossed fingers.

I'm Dennis from Japan (born in Canada).
    In 2009 in had a subdural hemmorage probably caused by an avm.
    After six months of rehab they brought me in for an MRI where they found and arachnoid cyst.
    After they took it out all the feeling that I had regained in my legs vanished. Oh, well!
    I also started getting terrible edema, neuropathic pain in the trunk area and terrible pins and needles.
    Must have done a bang up job on me!
    Recently I decided to finally go get checked out for the avm and they did another MRI and low and behold a syrinx (syringomyelia).
    Oddly enough I'm not so bothered because maybe if they rip this one out and possible find that the avm still exists and the embolize it, maybe I got a wee chance of getting something back.
    After I first got paralyzed I could at least enjoy the hot water running on my legs or feeling a breeze, am I crazy for thinking I could get this back if they removed the syrinx?

Anyhow, just thought that I would add my story here as these things are rarely discussed on the cure forum.
    Hope to hear from others who suffer from non-traumatic forms of spinal cord injury. I hate the word 'non-traumatic' as I remember it being quite traumatic
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

I think we don't see much about cord cysts in cure because there's not a lot to be said. They virtually garauntee that you will be passed over during any trials selection due to the added variables a syrinx brings to the table, and they are very likely to make implementing any future treatments more complicated with less certain results. Cheery stuff.

I've had mine since rehab 8 years ago. I don't know what level it has crept up to but I started out with a t6/7 injury and I no longer have normal sensation on most of my head/face.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    I think we don't see much about cord cysts in cure because there's not a lot to be said. They virtually garauntee that you will be passed over during any trials selection due to the added variables a syrinx brings to the table, and they are very likely to make implementing any future treatments more complicated with less certain results. Cheery stuff.

I've had mine since rehab 8 years ago. I don't know what level it has crept up to but I started out with a t6/7 injury and I no longer have normal sensation on most of my head/face.
    Zaphod,

I am sorry to hear about your sensation problem. I do hear what you are saying, however, and will endeavor to include patients with syringomeylia in our clinical trials. As it is turning out, I think that our procedure of exposing the spinal cord and removing all adhesions may be helpful for those with syringomyelia as well.

Wise.