Thread: Ipod vs mp3

Blog Entries

Ipod vs mp3

I need a little rudimentary instruction. Dad visited and got my receiver to work, and the return of background music to my day (much healthier than CNN) is motivating me to update my music collection. I haven't gotten much new music since I was excited about my 200 disc changer. Catching the World Café again the other day (which I've missed since I stopped driving) was quite a treat. I’m enjoying “Up on Cripple Creek..” at the moment ;-)

So should I get an iPod or some other brand MP3 player? I don't know anything about this stuff. I have a PC, not a Mac. Does that matter? I know the players have great advantages like organizing and categorizing things, and just plug into receiver or car or mobile dock, but otherwise is there any difference to just having digital music on your computer and playing it through there? Would the best thing be just to have everything in both places?

Now there’s what sounds like old Bruce, though I don’t know it from any of my albums

Do I need special software to play from my computer or is it likely already resident if I get sound?

So once I buy something, how do I populate it? Do I just go to different sites and download things? How do I load the music from my CDs?

The Dave Mathews Band makes me smile, and then David Bowie Ch-ch-changes reminds me of our Senior slide show. My classmates voted me most likely to succeed. Fancy that.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I need a little rudimentary instruction. Dad visited and got my receiver to work, and the return of background music to my day (much healthier than CNN) is motivating me to update my music collection. I haven't gotten much new music since I was excited about my 200 disc changer. Catching the World Café again the other day (which I've missed since I stopped driving) was quite a treat. I’m enjoying “Up on Cripple Creek..” at the moment ;-)

So should I get an iPod or some other brand MP3 player? I don't know anything about this stuff. I have a PC, not a Mac. Does that matter? I know the players have great advantages like organizing and categorizing things, and just plug into receiver or car or mobile dock, but otherwise is there any difference to just having digital music on your computer and playing it through there? Would the best thing be just to have everything in both places?

Now there’s what sounds like old Bruce, though I don’t know it from any of my albums

Do I need special software to play from my computer or is it likely already resident if I get sound?

So once I buy something, how do I populate it? Do I just go to different sites and download things? How do I load the music from my CDs?

The Dave Mathews Band makes me smile, and then David Bowie Ch-ch-changes reminds me of our Senior slide show. My classmates voted me most likely to succeed. Fancy that.
    Don't know where I would be without my iPod. It's definitely a worthwhile investment. If I travel long distances or my friends need music for the party all I need to do is drag and drop some files into playlists instead of carrying cases of CDs and burning CDs with playlists that they want.

I'm also an audio snob I need my music crystal-clear. With all the CDs I own I use a program called Exact Audio Copy to compress my CDs to MP3 form without losing any of the sound quality. When you download from sites like Limewire you get some crusty sounding songs. Hope this helps...

Ipods seem to have a more sophisticated look/feel and a more solid touch, backed by years of successful marketing. Proof. People usually say, "ipod and other mp3 players." Not as often will you hear people say "Sansa ... and other mp3 players."
    Daniel

quality of ipod is really better than the others.

I dig Apple and love my iPod, and you can use an iPod with a PC (Windows), but don't just buy one because it's the most popular. There are a lot of different portable media players out there at different prices and with various features, depending on what you want them to do. Sansa is supposed to be a good brand, as well as Creative Labs. Microsoft's Zune is another option, but I don't really know how it stacks up to the iPod or others.

Have an ipod myself but install audio books on mine. I get a really great battery life and excellent performance.

i got a cheap (magnavox) mp3 player that i am very happy with. i like ipod but cant afford it.

the one thing i wsh i had done was purhase one with more memory! i have a 2 gig and i think i need like an 8 gig or higher to make me happy!

im gonna have to go out and get another one eventually cause i need more gigs man! i hate having to delete stuff to make room for new stuff! sigh...

so thats my advice, get one with more memory. (if you listen to a lot of music that is...)

my mother has an ipod with screen- she downloads podcasts from itunes and we listen to a lot of comedy and "the moth" stories, so its great for other media type of entertainment too! so consider that as well.

either way - you will be happy with whatever you get cause they are small and very portable and great fun.