Thread: oral fleet for colonoscopy prep

oral fleet for colonoscopy prep

I am having my first colonoscopy done next week, and given the horror stories I have read about drinking the gallon of colon prep, I requested and was given the alternative of oral fleet.

Can anyone share views and experiences? Nurse?

I cannot go into the hospital one day prior, but I will have someone helping me at home.

Any tips please?
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Hi,

I believe you are referring to Fleets Phosphasoda oral solution. Here is a link that talks about it being effective as a colonoscopy prep, moreso if taken for 2 consecutive days prior to the procedure.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...gdbfrom=pubmed

Are they planning on startin gthe bowel prep while you're still at home?

My experience has been that SCI folks require more medication and prep usually than AB folks. My practice is to use a combination of clear liquid diet,bisacodyl tabs, golytely, and enemas until clear the night before to make sure the bowel is clean. There is nothing worse than going through a prep and finding out that your bowel is not clear enough to do the procedure, then starting all over aggain.
    Try to make sure you are thoroughly cleaned out.

AAD

Yes, I am supposed to take the first one at three p.m. the day before the procedure (at home). Liquid diet the day before. What are good liquid diet alternatives?

To be clear, I am told to take one at 3 p.m., one at 7 p.m. and a fleet enema one hour before the exam.

What are the chances of faecal incontinence on my way and in the hospital?

if you are clear you should be ok on way to hospital unless you have clear leakage from the enema. clear liquids include-chicken broth for one. you can do a search and it will give you a complete list. regardless you will be starving. usually when i have the procedure i am to be on clear liquids at least 2 full days prior and i have a colostomy on nov. 3 which was a monday and he had me on clear liquids from thursday night on-i went into the hospital on sunday and did the bowel prep itself there but he had me on clear liquids a few days before-i followed his orders as i wanted nothing to get in the way of my surgery-nor did i want to start over and have to do it all again.
    good luck-i do not envy you the next few days!

I have had 4 colonoscopies. The most recent was three weeks ago. The first time I did the gallon prep. That was the most difficult, but gave the best results with the least residual. The last one I used 10 oz. of magnesium citrate and 3 duclolax tablets at 9:00 AM and another 10 oz. of MC at 4:00 PM. This was effective, but I had to keep going to the bathroom to make sure there was no residual. After the initial purge, I went before bedtime, in the morning, and several times when I got home after the procedure. Without knowing your injury level and degree of bowel control it's difficult to provide advice. However, you must start earlier than 3:00 or you will be up all night. Also, you must be prepared to do 10+ toilet transfers over the two days of prep and the procedure. I did not want to do the enema in the morning, so the prep my doc prescribed was an alternative. Since you have to do the prep at home, this is my advice:

Start earlier than advised. Late morning should be good. As SN said, it takes longer for us.

After the initial emptying, go to the toilet intermittently until all the residual liquid is out. You may hear the liquid gurgling in your gut before you feel it, if you feel it at all. Definitely go before bedtime and several times the following AM.

Sleep with a disposable pad and keep wipes nearby.

If possible, get a mid to late morning appt. This will give you time to do the enema, hit the john several times, and get to the facility without incident.

Plan nothing for the time after the procedure so that you can be home. Again, hit the john several times until you're sure you are clear of any residual. They will be using air to expand your colon, so you can expect some discomfort. Getting the air out ASAP will help you feel better.

Good luck.

Adjust your diet to include fruits and vegetable and cereals with fiber so that you can get back on your bowel schedule ASAP.

Thanks for your input. I am a T6 complete and control my bowel with a BP.

I've had it twice. My routine was to begin a vegetable juice diet around a week before the procedure. I would then gradually replace the juice with clear broth and lots of water. After a couple of days the hunger disappears. I wouldn't attempt working and fasting, but if you have the time off this prep works well. Citro Mag then cleans out whatever is left.

Talking Fleet Once

I have only used Fleet one time, but it worked well. After Monday morning BP I did the chicken broth, beef broth, and JellO until next BP on Wednesday morning. I drank half the Fleet and within 10-15 minutes the rumbling started and I got up on my commode and drank the other half. After 2 and a half hours of waterfall action I was done. No further action. I will use it again this Spring. Had the colonoscopy Thursday morning, doc said I was clean as a whistle. Hit BurgerMaster on the way home!

Drink lots of water before, during and after BP because you'll be dumping a lot of fluid.