Thread: Baclofen vs. Dantrolene??

Baclofen vs. Dantrolene??

I have been prescribed both baclofen and dantrolene for muscle spasms and was wondering what the difference was?

Normally, I take a 20mg pill of baclofen 4x a day, and a 10mg pill of Dantrolene 2x a day.

Reason I ask is because yesterday Walgreens couldn't fulfill my prescription.. I guess Medicare rolled me over into a new plan on Jan. 1, and the information was not available or updated when the pharmacist called them.

So I haven't taken any baclofen for 24 hours, and wasn't able to sleep last night. I have been taking a lot more Dantrolene pills to make up for it, mostly when I feel spasms. But I still feel like a crackhead, all twitching and shit and it feels like I have electricity running through my veins!

Is there like an equilizer or something? Like 10 Dantrolene = 1 baclofen? Some kinda chart? A scale? Is this safe? F Medicare, they wont pay for my new wc either

I was told by my Doc, YMMV, that cold turkey on Baclofen was a big no-no. Your Part D doesn't cover Baclofen any longer?!?! I hope that doesn't happen to me. I just started Medicrap this year. Who is your Part D provider? I use Wellcare (the Walgreens owned insurance company) and Baclofen is on their formulary.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

MattGimpin,

You should be posting this to the Care Forum (not in the Science and Technology Forum). I am moving this to that forum where you should get attention and answers to your question.

I doubt very much that insurance will no longer cover baclofen. There is a misunderstanding. Dantrolene is an older anti-spasticity drug that has not been used as much for a long time.

In my opinion, Dantrolene is not a good substitute for baclofen. It works by a different mechanism and has more side-effects. You need to get your prescription for bacloften refilled. If baclofen alone does not work, the general approach is to add another anti-spasticity drug such as tizanidine.

The dose of oral baclofen is 40-120 mg per day. The dose of dantrolene is 25-400 mg/day.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by MattGimpin View Post
    I have been prescribed both baclofen and dantrolene for muscle spasms and was wondering what the difference was?

Normally, I take a 20mg pill of baclofen 4x a day, and a 10mg pill of Dantrolene 2x a day.

Reason I ask is because yesterday Walgreens couldn't fulfill my prescription.. I guess Medicare rolled me over into a new plan on Jan. 1, and the information was not available or updated when the pharmacist called them.

So I haven't taken any baclofen for 24 hours, and wasn't able to sleep last night. I have been taking a lot more Dantrolene pills to make up for it, mostly when I feel spasms. But I still feel like a crackhead, all twitching and shit and it feels like I have electricity running through my veins!

Is there like an equilizer or something? Like 10 Dantrolene = 1 baclofen? Some kinda chart? A scale? Is this safe? F Medicare, they wont pay for my new wc either

Hi Matt,

I agree that you should not stop BAclofen cold turkey and taking Dantrolene is not a substitute for Baclofen. As Wise pointed out, they work by different mechanisms.
    The recommended max dose of baclofen is 80mg which is what you are taking, so I can see why you were having the symptoms you were. I would re-contact your pharmacy or if needed have your doctors office call them. You shuold not be without this medication.

AAD