Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New T12 burst fracture -info needed

take care of your skin and do not let girl friend/wife/lover help with bathroom functions. as a rule, the able bodied mate of the sci person is not given a lot of direction. And you will be even less informed unless you check into a Model SPINAL CENTER. Lots of places think they can rehab a para. Usually, they can't.

With a Nov injury, you can expect to begin to get some return of function soon if you are going to get any at all. Once it starts (return of function), things can come back over the next 2 years.

if after 6 months there is nothing earth shaking happening, then you turn into a DEMOCRAT and hope that REPUBS in Congress don't start giving frozen embryos their very own social security number.

good luck. I am t-8 burst-collapse. ASIA A

Topspin -- got a good chuckle out of your political assessment.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Hi Pooh, I am about 2 1/2 years out and still have the pains you describe, Lyrica and vicadin are the drugs I am taking but it only takes the edge off. I am able to walk around short distances without crutches but it is like a balancing act on the legs. For longer distances I use crutches or a cane. It almost feels as if I get worse at times, but if you have read any of the other cases at this site I am a lucky one even with all the pain. Take it a day at a time, I have made it back to work, but I am retiring after this year. Oh, bowels still do not work the same, and I self cath every 4 hrs. or so. That is the easiest part. Best of luck and stay tuned to the site, many answers are here. Beachboy

T12 burst

Hi, I'm 42 and had a T12 burst and L1 compression fracture when I was 30. What you are feeling is probably exactly what the rest of us feel, neuropathic pain. Mine is in my feet, it never goes away completely, I take methadone for it which, as I put it, "takes the pain from the front of my mind and puts it in the back of my mind" so I don't really notice it. (as long as I take my methadone on schedule) I tried neurontin but it made me hallucinate, I saw little critters running from under the furniture and talked to people who weren't there. I too was put in a nursing home after being released from the hospital after 3 months. It took awhile, but I did learn to walk again, although I am partially paralyzed from the waist down and cannot move my left leg at all beneath the knee. Sensation is fairly good, except for the S1 nerve. So I have a numb spot that runs along the top of each foot, up the back of each leg and across my butt. I wear an AFO brace on my left leg, which keeps me from having "foot drop". I can't stand on my toes, I have no flexion in either leg. So walking is basically balancing on my heels. It took about 5 months to take my first step, I used a wheelchair for about the first 8-10 months, then a cane for awhile. Now I get around pretty well, although I have a limp. Sometimes people will come up to me on the street and tell my I need to quit drinking, which is very annoying because I don't drink. Anyway, back to the pain. Mine too is a stabbing, stinging pain which alternates between feeling like someone is electrocuting my feet or hitting the on the soles with a board. Without the pain meds I don't know if I could handle it, sleeping is very difficult, you can't concentrate, and you're crabby as hell. Chronic pain ages you, people who have never experienced it can never understand how it affects your life so completely. Just be strong, realize and accept things wll probably never be the same again, but you can get through it. It will be tough, I don't know if I could do it again, but we are stronger than we know. You'll learn things about yourself you didn't know before, which people who haven't had an injury could never imagine. Appreciate those things, because they are gifts. I wish you the best and hope you have a speedy recovery. Oh, and if they give you methadone, TAKE CARE OF YOUR TEETH. Nobody told me that, and I really wish they would have. It dries out your mouth, and now after 12 years my teeth are beginning to break apart.

being able to wiggle your toes is the BIGGEST predictor of recovery! Congratulations. You must however try to get some therapy now, not months later.. Any recovery depends on it. There is only a brief window of opportunity after the injury (about 12 or 18 months) to get a lot back. This is really important. Nerves and your brain need input to try to reconnect and recover. If you can not bear weight in your arms, you can still work with a physiotherapist exercising your quads, hamstrings, ankles, etc.. while lying down in a mat or even your bed.

If you dont have insurance, or your insurance does not cover phyisiotherapy, my advise would be to sell any asset you have, to call any charity association, to knock on every door, including the press, to get a chance to do therapy. Your future pretty much depends on it, including your future capacity to work. There will not be a later chance to do it.

T12 Burst Fracture 60% spinal cord affected

I was in a very serious twin engine airplane emergency crash landing onto a hillside this past June 2012. I suffered T12 burst fracture upon impact and was initially paralyzed from the waist down. Was airlifted to the hospital and had metal implanted into my back. I also had a broken hand, broken ribs, and a banged up head. Initially I couldn't walk and was in great pain, but after a month in the hospital which included physical therapy. I came home.

Today I am walking and the pain is easing with each passing month. I have a little stiffness in my back at times, and the tell tell burning nerve pain going down both legs and ending around my knees. In the beginning I had leg spasms, tingling, burning and just downright pain.

I chose to go off of the heavy pain killers about two and a half months after the injury, however I am still on Gabapentin 400 MG three times a day. And a couple of Tylenol a few times a week. It was very very difficult going without the pain medication and I would not recommend it to everyone, but it helped to ease the pain by taking 2 or three hot baths a day. I also used a lot of Ice bags early on, and I also went to Target and bought an electric messager which I still use daily. The messager seems to help train the nerves and increases the blood flow which helps the healing.

I started out on a walker and when I first came home I was in the bed about 23 hours a day, but keep pushing yourself and it certainly helps with the healing.

Oh ya, my first positive indicator was when I could wiggle my big toes !

Sorry, I just reread your questions again. Based on my experience the pain is a good thing. It is very difficult to control but you will find ways to help it, and for me it let me know that I had a chance a walking again. Which like I said, I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley-ws View Post
    I was in a very serious twin engine airplane emergency crash landing onto a hillside this past June 2012. I suffered T12 burst fracture upon impact and was initially paralyzed from the waist down. Was airlifted to the hospital and had metal implanted into my back. I also had a broken hand, broken ribs, and a banged up head. Initially I couldn't walk and was in great pain, but after a month in the hospital which included physical therapy. I came home.

Today I am walking and the pain is easing with each passing month. I have a little stiffness in my back at times, and the tell tell burning nerve pain going down both legs and ending around my knees. In the beginning I had leg spasms, tingling, burning and just downright pain.

I chose to go off of the heavy pain killers about two and a half months after the injury, however I am still on Gabapentin 400 MG three times a day. And a couple of Tylenol a few times a week. It was very very difficult going without the pain medication and I would not recommend it to everyone, but it helped to ease the pain by taking 2 or three hot baths a day. I also used a lot of Ice bags early on, and I also went to Target and bought an electric messager which I still use daily. The messager seems to help train the nerves and increases the blood flow which helps the healing.

I started out on a walker and when I first came home I was in the bed about 23 hours a day, but keep pushing yourself and it certainly helps with the healing.
    I went off of everything except the gabepetin also, nothing helped so why have your head fuzzy!!!! I still have alot of pain in my feet feels like walking on broken glass but at least I can walk some just not very far! Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!