Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Recipies for avoiding/treating sores/skin issues

Wanted to bump this to simply say I am spraying Vetericyn into the thick, hand cream I rub my butt with as I am susceptible to skin staph infections. So far, so good.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    Wanted to bump this to simply say I am spraying Vetericyn into the thick, hand cream I rub my butt with as I am susceptible to skin staph infections. So far, so good.
    What "hand cream" are you using. The very, very, very, best is CeraVe, available in a tub of cream or a hand pump of lotion. Check it out.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    What "hand cream" are you using. The very, very, very, best is CeraVe, available in a tub of cream or a hand pump of lotion. Check it out.

All the best,
    GJ
    Um a Walmart version of a name brand lol. It's in a jar because it's too thick to pump lol.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post

All the best,
    GJ
    I've tried Cerave as well. never found a better product. works well on dry skin in winter... ships from walmart directly and arrives in a few days.....best price product is safe for back, arms, and face....use as often as needed....no complications or irritations.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW4 View Post
    I've tried Cerave as well. never found a better product. works well on dry skin in winter... ships from walmart directly and arrives in a few days.....best price product is safe for back, arms, and face....use as often as needed....no complications or irritations.
    The CereVe hydrating cleanser is excellent too. No Walmart close enough to me, but $12.55 at Costco is a lot better than local drugstore prices (N. California).

All the best,
    GJ

I have developed a small wound a couple inches down my crack under my tailbone.It started as a dry callous. I started riding a new offroad handcycle and believe this is how it started along with 4 busy work days in a row on my butt. The skin has broken a bit and is a light pink and maybe the size of a pencil eraser. I have read all the posts above and am now on the search for products I can go get TODAY. I'm planning to try and find a healing ointment such as Optase, Chloriphyll, Microcyn, Dr. Nordykes Wound Honey and then a healing patch to put over that such as Duoderm, Prisma Matrix, Aquacel ag. I will clean the spot with hydrogen peroxide before I apply the above and I will also plan to get in my stand up equipement for blood flow. In addition, I will try to consume protein.
    Does this sound like a good plan? Is there anything I'm leaving out? This is my first open wound in 21 years and like everyone else, I have NO TIME. Any and all advise is greatly appreciated!!
    "If you are going through hell-keep going." -Winston Churchill

Numberoneadvocate,

You have obviously done a great job taking care of your body since your injury 21 yrs plus. And it is very disconcerting to find yourself with a pressure sore I know. I think you nailed it when you mention that you like most people don't have enough time.

I was in the same boat and it took time for me to realize that one has to make the time to get off one's but for an hour or so a day. That means changing routine and schedules. It doesn't take long for pressure sores to increase in size so do everything you can to keep it clean and covered is my advice. Time off your butt and making sure your cycling seat is well cushioned are equally important.

It,s good that you caught it early. Take care

Zinc supplements seem to work for us. When on them no lesions. We went to Kennedy-Kreiger and MD took them off. Lessions returned. Went back on- problem solved.
    Aqua therapy in an inflatable tub that can be put on a bed helps with skin and circulation. C-4 complete. 12 yrs post.
    Finbar

Hey Fuentejps ... What kind of lantiseptic cream do you use? I googled it and there are a lot of options . Would it be just the "skin protectant " type? Do you also use this is the crack gets red or sore ? THANKS !

Another thing that my caregivers and I have found that works great to reduce pressure sores is Canus Lil Goats diaper rash cream. Ever since we started using this, I have only had 1 pressure sore this year, and it was a small Stage 1 sore.

We mix the cream with a little bit of Burt's Bees baby powder to help it adhere better.