Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Recipies for avoiding/treating sores/skin issues

Microcyn liquid and hydrogel has helped many on this forum heal pressure sores and other wounds. There has been much written, but these two links can get you started

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=136486

http://oculusis.com/dialogue/?cat=6

Thanks for your reply. I have had a wound nurse look at it and make some suggestions. I've been on strict bed rest for a few weeks now with little progress. My diet is okay, but could probably be better. I appreciate your suggestions.
    C3/C4. Complete

This is a very helpful thread. Hubby saw the wound doctor friday but all he said was to use Balmex which is a diaper rash ointment. That was Friday and today is Sunday and now there is the beginning of another open place on his hip. The doctor said to sleep on his side but that's impossible because his spine is curved like a pretzel and because it is so severely curved it affects his breathing so he has to have his head elevated . He has a constant burning on his butt which is red to purple. Anyone have a suggestion what to use for the burning?

Quote Originally Posted by Leila View Post
    Microcyn liquid and hydrogel has helped many on this forum heal pressure sores and other wounds. There has been much written, but these two links can get you started

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=136486

http://oculusis.com/dialogue/?cat=6
    ccan you be allegic to micro or puricyn, as far as making the skin worse?
    i touch hydro peroide antiibiotic wipes to my hands and ny fingers turn white and dried out in seconds
    like putting my hands ina soilvent
    cauda equina

Aquacel AG

I cannot say enough about this product.

Last fall I had my first sore that kept me in bed for more than a week.

Coccyx area

Wound nurse debrided it a couple times removing slough with small scalpel. It kept returning then surgeon looked at it and debrided it making it twice the size and we went to wound vac, after 2 weeks slough is back, surgeon debrids, again now twice the size, down to bone, 2 more weeks wound vac, no luck, I called a sci friend and get told about flap surgery and get plastic doc, 6 weeks in hospital, back home for 3 week seating program. A good thing to this is I had chance to advocate about research to a lot of people.

2 months later I get another in different place, upper leg below butt cheek. It looked worse that when I had first surgeon look at the other one. Not real keen about getting cut on and spending time in hospital I googled Removing Slough and found Aquacell AG and got lucky and had a big sheet on hand. Changed it every 24 hours, it pulled off globs of slough every time, I think we changed it twice a day for awhile, it took say a month to hit bottom at a tendon, 1 inch deep about the circumference of little finger cone shape.

We then using Aqucell leaving small gap at bottom and it started filling in. 2 weeks its 1/2 inch, then switched to Prisma and 2 weeks later it's almost filled in, then back to Aquacell for one week and game over.

This stuff is spendy but search Amazon and Ebay I paid half price.

The nurses are right, If its red stay in bed.

I will try to post a couple photos later.
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    ccan you be allegic to micro or puricyn, as far as making the skin worse?
    i touch hydro peroide antiibiotic wipes to my hands and ny fingers turn white and dried out in seconds
    like putting my hands ina soilvent
    yeaaa, peroxide does the same thing to my fingers. i just went and sprayed some vvf on my fingers and it didn't do like the peroxide, it was just like watery.

dunno about being allergic.

Make pushing up a way of life. NEVER get the idea you can sit on a regular chair. I did this for awhile, it almost killed me. Swimming will absolutely increase circulation. Do it whenever, whereever you can

i found that dermawound work amazingly well in bed but used terrasil with great results while sitting (dermawound is too gritty to sit on).

I also highly recommend the Isch-dish cushion.

Pro-Stat AWD was given to me in rehab post flap surgery on June 16, 2011, which I
    continue to take now that I am home. Does anyone recommend additional protein or other nutritional product that would work with the Pro-Stat? I do take a multivitamin. Thank you.