Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Recipies for avoiding/treating sores/skin issues

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I was injured in 1998 and have only had one pressure sore so far. That was caused a by a stone on my kayak seat that I did not see when I got in and we paddled about eleven hours that day so it was a fairly nasty sore. It needed hospital treatment and what really worked for me that accelerated the recovery and made sure that it was good quality healing, with no dead/damaged tissue left in the wound, was maggot therapy. The maggots prevented the need for surgery. They put maggots that heve been bread in a sterile environment into the wound and put a dressing over the top; they stayed in about three days and then they were replaced for another three days amd after that it was simply a case of lying around and waiting. The maggots consume all the dead tissue but leave the healthy tissue alone and one of their secretions actually promotes granulation/new tissue growth. So I was in hospital for a while and I lay on my front with maggots in one of my arse cheeks which sounds stupid but it did miracles for my pressure sore, which has never broken or caused me any problems since despite doing lots of kayaking and other stuff that is not generally good for pressure relief.

As a side benefit, maggots are very good at cleaning wounds infected with MRSA.

Maggot therapy is available on the NHS here and is becoming more widespread as its efficacy is becoming more accepted. I have no idea how readily available it is in the US.
    Very true, wish it was used more often.
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

i'm 9 yrs post and no sores, not even a red spot. i attribute it to religious weight shifts and wigglin around in my chair.

plus i use lotion on my board 4 times every morning. going from bed to chair to shower bench then back to chair and from chair back onto bed.

My son used to get a rash between his legs.. I bought some sham wows , I cut them into squares and made a big hole in the center to place his scrotum in and folded the edges alongside of his thighs against his legs. ....wowie they soak up the moisture and no more rash. SHAM WOW !!!!!

I highly recommend the Isch-dish cushion, it's been working reallllly well for me.

Hey gang, my turn to contribute. I use Eurecin cream in the jar because it is hella thick. Now here's my spin. Each time I use it I put several drops of Wild oil of Oregano, standardized to 70% Cavacrol (sp) The oil is anti-parasitic, naturally antibiotic and anti-fungal. Plus I understand it fights Staph pretty well, if only in a contraceptive role. Cheers!
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels09 View Post
    I'd like to try that "Prisma".But it looks pricey,Liz. Can you buy a large one and cut it to size? Is it self-adhesive or do you tape it in place? Tia for your response....Bill
    Hello, sorry just saw this- yes you cut it to whatever size you need. place it over the sore, then put a 4x4 over it is all and tape. it can go a couple of days before you need to change it. check to see if your insurance will cover it. im not sure if i have any or id send you one to try.

Creams

There is a great cream out called "POL". You can buy it online. It did not help to heal a sore, but works awesome to protect your skin. I love it! I have never used a cream that worked to get rid of the redness.. other than a diaper rash cream. You need the Zinc and it is in there. There is a vit in there you need also A, D or something but it is in the diaper rash creams. I worked with pressure nurses and they showed me how well it will heal a stage 1 and also (they say) is great for protection. I have one had 1 in 27 yrs and man, I do not want another. What a disruption of life!!! YOU can keep going if you want to.. but it will not heal.
    I miss life before that happened as I now look at my butt twice a day. Someone else should be looking (husband told)... LOL his job

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    sleep on your stomach.

multivitamin, proper nutrition and enough fluids

squirm alot or weight shifts

and be happy/positive
    When you sleep on your stomach do you still have ti get up and reposition every two hour?
    T3 Complete
    to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

I have two spots on my butt isheals that won't go away. The one on the right seems to be worse. I am currently treating it with Promogran after Aqua Cell AG didn't do much. I have heard that a Zinc coating works well to protect the skin. Does anyone use this or know anything about this? My butt is so thin and bony that I am concerned I'll be battling the sore issues for a long time. Any suggestions? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sfedor408 View Post
    I have two spots on my butt isheals that won't go away. The one on the right seems to be worse. I am currently treating it with Promogran after Aqua Cell AG didn't do much. I have heard that a Zinc coating works well to protect the skin. Does anyone use this or know anything about this? My butt is so thin and bony that I am concerned I'll be battling the sore issues for a long time. Any suggestions? Thanks
    I would definitely attack it on multiple fronts. You need to add both slow digesting proteins (egg, micellar casein) and fast (whey protein isolate) to your diet, this added to daily intake of chicken fish and beef. The body can only use so many grams of protein at once so maybe 20-25 grams a setting. Make sure you are taking (while you are healing) a gram and a half of protein per pound of your body weight - per day. You can back off after.

Stay away from any proteins with sugar alcohol that might mess with your digestion. Just an fyi, I buy either "About Time Whey Protein Isolate" or I just bought this - http://www.musclefeast.com/Whey-Prot...a-5lb-p19.html Make sure you are taking a good mutilvitamin and a good probiotic as these will help boost your healing.

(Edit) I buy my multivitamins and probiotics at one of these two places - IHerb and Luckyvitamin.

I would also read through this thread for tips of what, if anything. to put on it. Maybe duoderm, maybe manuka honey depending on the wound stage. Has a wound care nurse/dr. looked at it? Most of all stay off of it.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by NoDecafPlz; 02-08-2011 at 04:09 PM.
    And the truth shall set you free.