Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Recipies for avoiding/treating sores/skin issues

I have A&D ointment on hand. It's pretty freaking thick -- sometimes hard to get it out of the tube thick. Smells nasty though -- probably worth a trip to Walgreens!

Thanks for the tip.

Is it best to put it on daily and rub it in real well to encourage blood flow?
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    Bag balm...nuthin' better!
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

PeanutsLucy, I use a cream called Udderly Smooth -- all the same benefits as Bag Balm, but without that greasy petroleum jelly consistency.

I do use the cream daily, and firmly believe that the act of massaging the area thoroughly to rub it in is as beneficial for my skin's health as the moisturizing effects of the lotion.

Thanks! I will hit the stores tomorrow in search of it.

I don't think we've been paying enough attention to his skin since he hasn't had any issues until now, but last night I really noticed how dry it is.

Now I know not to take it for granted.
    -- Lucy VanPelt

A&D is fine for diaper rash, although it will stain your clothing with grease stains. There is no evidence that massage or any topical cream helps to prevent pressure ulcers...in fact, massage over a red or pink spot can make it worse. Use only enough moisturizing lotion to prevent cracking of skin (which can lead to infections), and use one that disappears like Udderly Smooth. I buy it at Trader Joe's, but have seen it at Long's, Walgreens and CVS as well.

(KLD)

Thanks, I will check the Walgreens down the road first.

Trader Joes in on the other side of town, but it will give me an excuse to go there (love the place! ).
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Prssure Sores

I have a sore in my butt crack. A little bit bigger around than a pencil would be. I also have been having trouble cathing....getting cath into bladder, WTF???? Any help would be appeciated.

Lantiseptic at night, great stuff
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

OK, so we went to the doctor on Wednesday and it is a pressure sore -- combination of pressure problems, moisture problems and sheering (sp?). Got a script for ointment to help it heal and he needs to keep off his fanny as much as possible. Also said much of it could be from his playing wheelchair basketball since he gets sweaty and he said the fast rolling action puts more pressure on his bum -- makes sense, but the kid only plays once a week for an hour and he changes before he leaves and when he gets home, so I don't think that's the sole culprit.

Can't thank you guys enough for the advice, we really didn't get any skin care advice in rehab except for basic pressure relief. Nothing about moisture being bad or putting ointment or cream all over to protect the skin. I shudder to think about how many other things we weren't told in rehab.

Once we get the area clear, the wound care guy said there are a variety of products on the market to put on the skin 1-2xs a day to keep it healthy, guess that will be our next research project.
    -- Lucy VanPelt

For the person who asked about the rashing and skin breakdown under his wife's breasts and in her groin, I have that problem sometimes and what works for me is to wash that area at least once a day with vinegar or vinegar in some water. The smell doesn't stay but it keeps those areas from getting rashy, smelly and sore. It also clears up a rash but it burns like the devil for a little while. I'd rather prevent the rash. But it will clear up a rash overnight.

Another good remedy for rashes in those areas is to use plain yogurt applied to the skin after washing and drying it.