Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipies for avoiding/treating sores/skin issues

I have experienced great relief from pressure sores & sitting discomfort by using an alternating pressure cushion *under* my Stimulite. (about $150 from http://www.flowcushion.com/flow/)
    I have NO financial interest in this company.

OK... For all those Purists:
    This is NOT a Medical Device. It probably has not been studied on people with paralysis. It may not have been shown to be any more effective in prevention of pressure sores in those with paralysis than placebos. Send flames to /dev/null

A reasonably handy person can tap into the electrical system of most power chairs to install a 12 volt cigarette lighter.
    "Let your food be your medicine" - Hippocrates

get a good protein supp. juven isnt enough. high protein helps prevent issues.

i consume over 100 grams aday in protein supps alone then my food. my skin is perfect 21 years now

Quote Originally Posted by fullsyz View Post
    Hello everyone. New to the forum, 15-years post injury, T12 para. I am laying in bed right now completeing my last day of my 6 week, strict bed rest, recovery from my 2nd major flap surgery. I went 10 years with no issues, then about 5 years ago the pressure sore problems started. It's been then same spot every time, the left butt cheek (Ischium?). Wound VAC's for me have been a waste of time. I spent months on the VAC only to end up going in for surgery anyway. These sores are a real mofo....news flash, right?! Anyway, I'm just looking for any and all options to prevent this from happening again. Like many of you guys, I've spent months and years on end changing dressings at home, going to outpatient wound care, months on end in the hospital (longest stay was 9 months straight) and tons of frustration. You guys talk about greasing up your butts to help prevent breakdown. This is a new one to me. Does it help that much? It's pretty dry in NV, but I had no idea lubing up my rear could help. I have come to the conclusion that it's just part of the deal having a SCI. All I can do is frequent pressure reliefs and inspect my butt every day. I drink Juven too, I had a good wound care nurse swear by the stuff, so I use it. But again, I'm laying in bed as I type this. However, I get to get up for the first time in 6 weeks tomorrow! SWEET. I can't wait to take a shower and crap in a toilet! Aw, the joys of life.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

fullsyz, for me, keeping my butt cheeks and thighs well moisturized is essential. Even though I live in the tropics where the humidity is always high, my backside gets very dry very fast.

If I don't use some heavy grade moisturizer, the skin will get dry patches that will start to flake. Inevitably one or more of those flakes will get torn off (by my clothes as I do pressure relief or transfers, or by the sheets when I position myself at night), leaving a tiny open wound -- bad news. Even if the flakes don't cause an open tear, these dry patches will start to pink up, then turn red, very quickly.

In Nevada, the natural lack of humidity, combined with any time spent sitting in damp clothes from sweating due to the heat, would cause my bottom to get dry, flake and even split in no time at all. I'd probably end up applying moisturizer twice a day just to stay ahead of it.

There's a side benefit from applying moisturizer: your rump gets a massage in the process, which helps promote good blood flow to the area.

Hope you finish healing fast and find something that works to keep you from ending up in the really nasty parts of Soreville.

--THC

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm listening. Question....Anyone have any experience with Ride Designs Cushions?
    T12, 5.11.93

Anti monkey butt

My wife has problems under breast and folds in pelvis we we're having problems with every moisture we tried Anti Monkey Butt worked wonders thats all we use in the moisture build up places tried gold bond powder seemed to just make cake

sleep on your stomach.

multivitamin, proper nutrition and enough fluids

squirm alot or weight shifts

and be happy/positive

Quote Originally Posted by fullsyz View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'm listening. Question....Anyone have any experience with Ride Designs Cushions?
    I love my ride designs cushion. I've had it for nearly a year and have only one issue. The cushion is designed to basically suspend you, thus off-loading typical problem areas. Basically, because you are "suspended," passing gas is easy to do. It comes out whenever it wants and it can be embarrassing. Other than that, I've healed a semi-superficial open area on my ischial without a problem. The only other real issue is the fact that you have to be positioned on the cushion nearly perfectly, otherwise the cushion will be counter-productive and can actually CAUSE issues. Don't get me wrong, it is an excellent cushion if used/fitted properly and I swear by its effectiveness.

Anyone out there having problem with low blood pressure, low oxygen level

Hi, I'm taking care of my my mother C3/C4 complete and she keeps running into problems with her blood pressure tanking. I've had to take her to the hospital two times and she would have died if I hadn't, it was 48/34 when she went unconcious. Also having a high fever, and low blood oxygen level. Anyone on this site taking care of a loved one run into this problem, if so, what caused it? Any info would be appreciated.

avoiding skin issues

Is there a general purpose cream or lotion you would recommend for the backside? We haven't had any problems in the two years since my son was hurt, but he now has a suspicious spot on his upper thigh on the backside, just below the butt cheek.

We started rubbing his legs down with Aveeno lotion, but I think the backside needs something a little stronger.

Any thoughts?
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

In my experience, the thicker the cream the better. I use Walgreens Theraputic Moisturizing Cream in the plastic jar. It's so thick you need to wear a glove. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsLucy View Post
    Is there a general purpose cream or lotion you would recommend for the backside? We haven't had any problems in the two years since my son was hurt, but he now has a suspicious spot on his upper thigh on the backside, just below the butt cheek.

We started rubbing his legs down with Aveeno lotion, but I think the backside needs something a little stronger.

Any thoughts?
    And the truth shall set you free.