Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Recipies for avoiding/treating sores/skin issues

Hybrid View

Recipies for avoiding/treating sores/skin issues

OK, let's see if I can contribute another potential stickie thread of use to the community. Since skin issues are EVEN MORE a universal issue than UTI's, therefore, I propose we use this thread to contribute what we found to be successful for each of us. This doesn't replace a doctor's visit or wound care consult, just tips and pointers that worked for us. There are a range of issues here so I suggest you bold in the upper title box what particular stage, issue you are contributing for.

HEAT RASH

Most of us in the summer time have issues with heat rash. I have to worry about it year round so here is what I do. I use a paste mixture of Desitin
    and Caldesene powder. Both of these contain zinc oxide and after applying to groin, I put some extra powder on top. No issues, no problems.

In the summer I use Zeasorb (anti-fungal) powder ONLY (no paste) which apparently gives cancer to mice in California. (I'm a man in New Jersey so I should be fine)
    I do not use a paste because it just gets swampy.

There is another powder on the market that I have not tried. Anti-Monkeybutt (I shit you not) It is a Calamine lotion powder that race car drivers use. It is a little pricey so until it comes down a little, I'll skip it.

SUPPLEMENTS THAT MAY HELP PREVENT/TREAT SORES

Besides pressure reliefs, diet is key. When I was at Magee, I met their Nutritionist who worked on the team to develop specific supplements
    to treat and prevent pressure sores.

Pro-source plus (packet or liquid) provides 15 grams of gluten and lactose free protein per two tablespoons. It isn't cheap, 4 32oz bottles cost me $113 but only $4 shipping. As long as your diet allows, you could save more money by going with a weight trainers protein mix (Muscle Milk etc) that would taste better and put some weight on you if at high risk. (I have a gluten issue so I need to get my protein from Hemp, Milk,[lactose free] Meat or Eggs.)

Other products helped develop at Magee are Vitament, ArgiMent and Argiten
    these are often combined and as far as I know, used at every stage of sore.

Here is the best priced website I have found that would give more info.

http://www.activehomenutrition.com/

LETS MAKE THIS THREAD A KEEPER!
    Last edited by NoDecafPlz; 01-08-2009 at 12:00 AM.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Excellent idea Joe ...... you're stuck ...... now carry on everyone !!

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Thank ya sweetie!!! ((MUAH))

Well, maybe ya better unlock this sweetie.

Last shot, Proshield cream was the topical used each morning to assist skin
    in sore prevention when skin was clear.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    Well, maybe ya better unlock this sweetie.
    opps! Sorry Joe!

Back to topic .....

Pressure releases like religion !!
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

i apply lantiseptic cream to my butt every other night to keep skin from getting dry and at the top of butt crack to avoid shear crack/tears.

high protein diet is key, i dont recommend muscle milk to much fat, i prefer a blended protein powder like bsn syntha 6.

cushions-----rohos' and jays' arent worth shit imo, old outdated technology, and high maintenance. explore your options just because the idiot pt/ot/dme say they are best doesnt mean shit......
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i apply lantiseptic cream to my butt every other night to keep skin from getting dry and at the top of butt crack to avoid shear crack/tears.

high protein diet is key, i dont recommend muscle milk to much fat, i prefer a blended protein powder like bsn syntha 6.

cushions-----rohos' and jays' arent worth shit imo, old outdated technology, and high maintenance. explore your options just because the idiot pt/ot/dme say they are best doesnt mean shit......
    Thanks man! it's super dry ( 10% humidity ) here in OKieland right now and i've got for my first chafe of the season dammit, right at the top of the crack.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Brock

Hey Fuentejps ... What kind of lantiseptic cream do you use? I googled it and there are a lot of options . Would it be just the "skin protectant " type? Do you also use this is the crack gets red or sore ? THANKS !

Awesome idea, NoDecafPlz! Thanks for getting this going.

For heat rash, I use plain creamy Desitin in the groin area and underneath my breasts.

To prevent dryness on my backside, I use a moisturizing cream called Udderly Smooth (known around our house simply as Moo Cream) after every shower. It protects from chafing, flaking and cracking as well as Bag Balm but without all of the greasiness.

At the first sign of problems on my butt (welts, red spots or other irritation), I cover the area with some Duoderm Extra Thin and leave it on for at least three days -- some need to remain covered for as long as seven days before they resolve themselves. In the ten years I've been in my chair, I've never had a sore spot advance beyond Stage I.

--THC

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    I've been a quad for 30 years and in all that time had very limited skin issues, and I sit ALL day (Roho). My secret recipe for prevention is Bag Balm massaged into by butt every morning. The key to stopping sore is to promote bloodflow for which we also use massage and a TENS unit...4 electrodes around the sore for about 20 minutes, 3-4 times a day until the skin is red and slightly puffed up i.e.: engorged with blood.