Thread: Excessive sweating

Excessive sweating

Hello everyone,
    C5/6 Complete here, I started sweating A little bit about two months ago but then I started sweating profusely about five days ago.
    I normally don't sweat at all, only when I have AD.
    I SWEAT ON MY NECK MY HEAD AND MY LEFT ARM. I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON,
    I had my blood work done and everything is fine, I also had my urine tested and it came back with no uti.
    I also went to the hospital two months ago for ulcerative colitis and I did not sweat in the hospital at all - I was given prednizone but I stop thinking that I'm going to go per Dr.'s orders since my symptoms subsided.
    I do have a pressure sore on my bottom but even if I stay off of it I still sweat.
    Also my spasms increased a few days ago, they are very bad. I guess my whole body is just fkd up...
    Did anyone experienced anything like this before?
    Last edited by Mac85; 07-24-2016 at 03:25 PM.
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

If your sweating is not related to a blood pressure elevation, it is not AD.

Have you been evaluated recently for a possible syrinx? These can be associated with inappropriate sweating, esp. if one side of the body only is effected.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    C5/6 Complete here, I started sweating A little bit about two months ago but then I started sweating profusely about five days ago.
    I normally don't sweat at all, only when I have AD.
    I SWEAT ON MY NECK MY HEAD AND MY LEFT ARM. I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON,
    I had my blood work done and everything is fine, I also had my urine tested and it came back with no uti.
    I also went to the hospital two months ago for ulcerative colitis and I did not sweat in the hospital at all - I was given prednizone but I stop thinking that I'm going to go per Dr.'s orders since my symptoms subsided.
    I do have a pressure sore on my bottom but even if I stay off of it I still sweat.
    Also my spasms increased a few days ago, they are very bad. I guess my whole body is just fkd up...
    Did anyone experienced anything like this before?
    Yes like you I had this start in the last few months, It's extremely annoying and inconvenient rather disgusting. like the nurse said it could be related to a synrix, and if your blood pressure isn't going up it's not AD. But according to my Physiatrist at the SCI rehab Center, this uncontrollable unreasonable sweating can be the result of something he referred to as progression of injury he describes only two patients he knows of that has it so it's extremely rare, and they know little to nothing about it. He briefly described it is basically a sympathic nerve that won't shut down and is in some kind of overdrive . Don't take my word on that, that is not a direct quote. Like the uncertainty with this phenomenon they don't have much of a treatment, he said that Anticholinergic drugs are the best option; but they have proven not to be that effective, ironically those drugs have been known to completely stop people's ability to sweat which can be dangerous. He also said that it can get a lot worse, but over time it can just completely stop or get better. I would be weary of starting those drugs, long-term use is proven to cause mental and physical decline sometimes very severe.

Interestingly like you, I have never sweat before even with various different things like stage III bedsores, kidney infection, going to septic etc. My spasms have been steadily increasing over the years for whatever reason, but recently since this whole sweated thing started to increase seems to have spiked more than usual. You are correct basically your body is completely fucked, and basically when it comes to quadriplegic injuries ( and it's secondary complications) you like myself drew the short straw, but at least we can breathe on our own right! Good luck .
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 07-25-2016 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If your sweating is not related to a blood pressure elevation, it is not AD.

Have you been evaluated recently for a possible syrinx? These can be associated with inappropriate sweating, esp. if one side of the body only is effected.

(KLD)
    Nurse, thank you so much for replying. This is not related to want that pressure, my blood pressure is mostly low. Yes I mostly sweat one my right side of the neck when sitting up and another side of the body when laying down on my side.

JamesMcM thanks a lot for the info, I will make an appointment with my neurologist

So it turned out that it was the protein shakes that made me sweat. I was taking about a 100 milligrams of protein a day