Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D-Mannose for bladder infections?

D-Mannose for bladder infections?

Pure cranberry juice works well for me in keeping bladder infections away, but I’ve heard D-Mannose is even better. Does anyone here use D-Mannose? What brand is best? Manno Max? ClearTract?…

"Let your food be your medicine" - Hippocrates

Hi,

If you search this product on carecure, you will find alot of information and experiences. I have not had much experience with this product and cannot give a recommendation.

AAD

Thanks goat and SCI-Nurse.

I did the search. Was hoping for conclusive info, but many say it works so I’ll give it a try.

Since beginning intermittent self-catheterizing 4 years ago my experience has been:

• Take no preventative measures = bladder infection approx every 2 months.

• Wash hands etc, with soap & water = bladder infection approx every 2 months.

• Wash hands etc, with soap & water, and use a new sterile catheter each time = bladder infection approx every 2 months.

• Don’t bother washing hands etc, reuse catheters (after washing them with soap and water), take cranberry pills several times daily = bladder infection approx every 3 months. (note slight improvement)

• Don’t bother washing hands etc, reuse catheters, drink 3 oz pure cranberry juice (not cocktail junk) morning, and 2 oz at bedtime = went 7 months without an infection. (note huge improvement!)

• Don’t bother washing hands etc, reuse catheters, and drink 4 oz pure cranberry juice morning, and 3 oz at bedtime = 8 months and counting without an infection.

This is crazy Fugitive. Why would you cath without washing your hands first? Are you trying to get bacteria in your bladder? Do you think by not washing your hands that you're building up an immunity? It doesn't work that way with a bladder.

Stuff like cranberry and D-mannose have some, but not much effect in preventing UTIs. They may help a little bit but only against E.coli. The theory is that a chemical in cranberry (perhaps tenacin??) helps prevent the E.coli bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall. It doesn't kill it. I think D-mannose works in the same manner but I'm not sure.

Hey, why not just shove the catheter up your butt before using it to cath with and see how long you can go without an infection!? About a day!

Seriously, your train of thought is way off the tracks. Be as clean as you can when you cath.

Most or many UTIs are caused in this way: Bacteria gets in the urethra through the meatus. Then it incubates and multiplies in the outer part of the urethra... say the first inch. Then the colony grows there and begins working its way inward. The teeming bacteria is waiting there to be shoved into the bladder to infect it. If you can keep bacteria from gaining a foothold in your outer urethra you'll be on your way to a reliable cathing technique.

I don't recommend this but I squirt hydrogen peroxide inside my urethra. About 5 times per cath, hard enough to rinse out the outer inch or two. I haven't had a bacterial colonization or a UTI in 3 years and 3 months... and counting. My urine is crystal clear.... well urine colored but no cloudiness or foul odor whatsoever. In other words, normal uninfected urine. It's a great feeling knowing that my bladder isn't being used as a playground for billions perhaps trillions perhaps quadrillions perhaps.... hmmmm, what's next.... of bacteria. Bacteria grows at a phenominal rate. Like doubling the population every 20 minutes or so. It doesn't take long to create a cesspool of the stuff.

I gather your timeline is based on full blown UTIs. Gunky urine with a fever, spasms, aches and pains etc. I'd bet you're always colonized (unless you're actively treating it with effective antibiotics) and it's the line between a bacterial colonization and a bona fide UTI that's blurry. A colonization can/will still make you feel run down etc. And is usually a UTI in the making.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Bob,
    Just wondering on your "cure" for UTI's, how much peroxide do you squirt into your urethra at a time? Also what do you use to do this? I am currently fighting an UTI at the time and was just curious to try and see if it cured it and hopefully to keep it away in the future. Thanks Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by tylertinken View Post
    Bob,
    Just wondering on your "cure" for UTI's, how much peroxide do you squirt into your urethra at a time? Also what do you use to do this? I am currently fighting an UTI at the time and was just curious to try and see if it cured it and hopefully to keep it away in the future. Thanks Tyler
    Hi Tyler,

Damn, I already wrote a reply and lost it. Grrr...

I use a thoroughly cleaned out 13 ounce Palmolive dish detergent bottle. It has a rounded cap that I can place directly over my meatus without harming my "delicate" member. I first give my glans (penis head) a quick squirt to clean it off. Then I gently place the rounded cap over my meatus and give it a quick squirt. I squirt it then pull back quickly... I'm not trying to fill my bladder up! I'm trying to get the HP in there about an inch. Squirt then pull back quickly. About 5 times. Careful, it will squirt back. Before you insert the catheter you may need to squirt away any foam that may have formed while you were getting your catheter ready. It's fun to watch the foam egress!!!

Wash your hands well and only handle the catheter about 5 inches from the eyelet end.

Nurse KLD doesn't approve of using antiseptics in this way.

If you want, you can always cut the HP say 2/3rds HP - 1/3rd clean distilled water.

Or just try the HP for a month and see how you feel about it. I don't think you'll harm anything in just 30 days.

Or just use the HP every other time you cath. And use your clean method of cathing the other times.

Are you now "fighting" the UTI with antibiotics? If you are this is a good time to try something different. You'll have a "clean slate" to start with and you can see how long my technique keeps your urine uninfected. Like I said, I've been uninfected for over 3 years. Normal "sparkly" urine... woot-woot.

HP is safe to use in the mouth at a 50/50 ratio. That's 1.5%. It says so on the bottle. Both the lining of the mouth and the urethra are mucosal membranes. After 3 years I haven't found any harmful effects at the full 3% mixture using it everytime I cath. What long-term damage may be done I can't say. Perhaps (hopefully) none, but without test results, again, I can't say. But I got tired of always having UTIs so have accepted whatever risk there may be. There are risks associated with always being infected too, so it's a trade-off. A bit of a gamble.

We need an antiseptic that's clinically proven to be safe on the urethra lining but kick-ass on bacteria. Maybe someday.

Good luck.... let me know if you decide to try it and let me know how your urine looks and smells after awhile. I'm proud of my pee!

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Hp

Can you think of a way to do this with a suprapublic catheter - or would you still squirt it in the penis?

Bob, I did the same, putting 1% hydrogen peroxide inside in my bladder and I did not have an uti for 4 month. It burned like crazy and I was urinating for two days without control but I was without uti longer than I ever have been since.

If I don't find a solution for my uti I have had since August, I have plans to do it again. It is better for being crazy having uti all the time and now it is even multiresistant.
    TH 12, 43 years post

i agree i am at my wits end since sept 22 i am on my 4 uti yes the culture them before antibobies and i always take the whole dose i have a sp

so what am i doing wrong

i never had 1 till 5 yrs ago then they just getting worse. yes i am as clean as i can be. i drink a lot of coffee and water