Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: soft roll casters 5"x1.5" in a tilite zr

  1. #11
    But in Invacare maybe it will be more expensive, because the wheelchairs are more sheap in Sportaid, I ask them first.

    O.K thanks for all and have a good 2009.

  2. #12
    Senior Member DaleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    5,408
    Digging deeper, Stephen, I think there may be a snag. I agree the chance of failure is very remote. However, reading the Tilite warranty it's pretty clear that unless Tilite gave writtern permission to modify the chair doing so voids the warranty. From Section C.2.d

    C. Limits and Exlcusions
    [...]
    2. This warranty is VOID if TiLite, in its sole discretion, determines that:
    [...]
    d. the wheelchair has been modified without TiLite’s express written consent, including, but not limited to, modification through the use of unauthorized parts or attachments.
    The moral of the story: Put the Tilite parts back on if you have to send the chair in for a warranty claim, for whatever reason. And, perhaps, refrain from posting pictures of your mod on the web, eta: if the warranty is of any concern to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Per SCI_OTR's experience and instructions, I made this identical modificacation to my ZR last spring (I posted pictures in the original thread -- do a search). The part of the stem bolt that secures to the frame is threaded, so it has to be "unscrewed" (or "backed out," as SCI_OTR puts it) a little bit to accommodate the Top End forks. You can't see the threaded part of the stem bolt when you pull off the Ti forks so you might at first think that you have to pull it out -- that's a mistake that my bike tech made at first.

    To your point: I suppose that if the stem bolt broke the warranty for that part would be void and TiLite would not be liable for any injury that might result. From my user's experience, however, the risk of damage is beyond remote. The stem bolt remains extremely secure; I've had no issues, it's required no maintenance whatsoever.

    And one last point . . . The difference in the sweep of the caster -- the Top End fork will result in the casters positioned a smidgen closer to the rear of the chair -- is also negligible. I suppose it changes the center of gravity, but I didn't feel the difference.

    Hope this puts some minds at ease. It's a very worthwhile modification IMO.
    Last edited by DaleB; 01-03-2009 at 09:22 PM.
    __________________

    He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

  3. #13
    I'm not sure Top End or Invacare will sell direct. With the introduction of the TA6, the forks are now available in different colors.


    The TiLite caster axles would also be too narrow for the wider forks, so you should get wider axles and new spacers for proper fit. Top End uses hex head bolts for axles and their own spacers on the Crossfire and Crossfire TA6. The folks at FrogLegs have a "wide axle kit", however, which I use on my ZRc. I don't have a specific part number, but they sent me a kit for free after I showed them my chair at Medtrade a couple of years ago. It looks a little cleaner and the fit is perfect. When I fully tighten the screws, the casters spin freely without any binding.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Digging deeper, Stephen, I think there may be a snag. I agree the chance of failure is very remote. However, reading the Tilite warranty it's pretty clear that unless Tilite gave writtern permission to modify the chair doing so voids the warranty. From Section C.2.d

    The moral of the story: Put the Tilite parts back on if you have to send the chair in for a warranty claim, for whatever reason. And, perhaps, refrain from posting pictures of your mod on the web.
    I should also give the disclaimer that I can not guarantee it would work in all possible configurations. The main reason I say this is I noticed that there are spacers which are used to extend the fork stem in the parts manual for the ZR. I've never seen them on a new chair, and I suspect they are available to raise the front STF height on an existing chair. I do not know this for certain, however, hence my disclaimer.

    In addition to my posts on CC, I have been trying to persuade TiLite to widen their forks for some time, so several of their managers/engineers have seen my chair. They haven't expressed any concern about my mod, but they could definitely void my warranty if they chose to do so. Of course they could also "technically" void it because I've modified my back upholstery, installed another manufacturer's wheel locks, and clamped on my own custom push handles.

  5. #15
    according to the latest Tilite "Eye on Ti" email 1.5" wide casters are available on all chairs now. You can also order Frog Legs "Unitine" forks for Tilites now at sportaid.
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
    -Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieG11 View Post
    according to the latest Tilite "Eye on Ti" email 1.5" wide casters are available on all chairs now. You can also order Frog Legs "Unitine" forks for Tilites now at sportaid.
    The 4" X1.5" and 5" X1.5" wide casters listed on the new order forms are for poly tires, not soft-roll casters.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieG11 View Post
    according to the latest Tilite "Eye on Ti" email 1.5" wide casters are available on all chairs now. You can also order Frog Legs "Unitine" forks for Tilites now at sportaid.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    The 4" X1.5" and 5" X1.5" wide casters listed on the new order forms are for poly tires, not soft-roll casters.
    VICTORY!!!

    Although they would never admit it, my guess is that they finally listened to their end users (BTW: They do monitor CareCure). The FrogLegs soft rollls really do transform the ZR/ZRa. They make the chair more-comfortable and safer over a variety of surfaces. Despite these benefits, they are a much better value than TiLite's soft rolls.

    Even though you can't get the FrogLegs aluminum soft rolls directly from TiLite, I am suspecting they will phase out their own soft rolls and begin offering them soon. Why else would they go through the expense of developing a wider fork simply to offer a cheap 1.5" wide poly caster?

    As for myself, I'm not sold on the Unitine forks yet. Call me "old school", but I think both ends of the axle should secured inside the fork.

    totoL1,

    Please ignore all the previous posts regarding the fork modification, you should be able to do a simple swap if you order the 5x1.5 poly tire on your ZR.

    EddieG,

    I hope you haven't been sitting back watching all of us post to this thread knowing the whole time that TiLite was offering a 1.5" wide caster!

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    VICTORY!!!


    totoL1,

    Please ignore all the previous posts regarding the fork modification, you should be able to do a simple swap if you order the 5x1.5 poly tire on your ZR.

    Hello, yes I just see it this morning, tilite post me their new order form, and now we only have to change the caster to a solt roll one.
    That`s great

  9. #19
    Senior Member DaleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    5,408
    Given your relationship with them, and your technical capability, I'd be surprised if you would have any problems from them. Your mod is certainly a 'perfectory modification', for sure, and one well worth doing if achieving the 'ultimate roll' is the goal. The only warranty claim I'd personally be remotely worried about is a frame defect, which are few and very far between on Tilite rides! And that's just because it's so expensive to replace.

    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I should also give the disclaimer that I can not guarantee it would work in all possible configurations. The main reason I say this is I noticed that there are spacers which are used to extend the fork stem in the parts manual for the ZR. I've never seen them on a new chair, and I suspect they are available to raise the front STF height on an existing chair. I do not know this for certain, however, hence my disclaimer.

    In addition to my posts on CC, I have been trying to persuade TiLite to widen their forks for some time, so several of their managers/engineers have seen my chair. They haven't expressed any concern about my mod, but they could definitely void my warranty if they chose to do so. Of course they could also "technically" void it because I've modified my back upholstery, installed another manufacturer's wheel locks, and clamped on my own custom push handles.
    __________________

    He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

  10. #20
    Senior Member DaleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    5,408
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    VICTORY!!!
    This is fantastic! Just goes to show the folks at Tilite give a hoot and aren't in love with their own reflection. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out your influence (and the folks you've influenced here!) helped to prod them along. Awesome. I guess with the fork now available, any 1.5" caster can be used and quite easily swapped back, if needed, for a warranty claim.
    __________________

    He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Similar Threads

  1. Billet Wheels W/ Soft Roll Tires vs. Frog Legs
    By charvine in forum Equipment
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-05-2010, 07:53 PM
  2. Replies: 136
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 05:37 PM
  3. Soft roll vs firm roll
    By 24/7 Quad in forum Equipment
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-01-2008, 02:34 PM
  4. frogs legs soft roll casters
    By amyk in forum Equipment
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 01:11 PM
  5. soft roll casters
    By rollin64 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-12-2006, 01:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •