Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: soft roll casters 5"x1.5" in a tilite zr

soft roll casters 5"x1.5" in a tilite zr

Hello, my name Is Antonio and I am from Spain, that`s because my english is not very good.
    Well, I`m writing here because I saw here a photo with a tilite zr with casters 1.5" and tilite haven`t got forks for put that casters, well, I`m going to order a tilite and I would like if some of you can help me with that question.

Thanks.

Last edited by totoL1; 01-04-2009 at 07:02 AM.

I was the first CC member to modify my ZR to use 4x1.5" FrogLegs aluminum soft roll casters. It requires forks from the Top End Crossfire or Crossfire TA6 (available for $52 per pair from Sportaid) and the caster stem stud needs to be backed out of the frame slightly to provide enough length to secure the locknut on the threads. I will be doing this conversion on a new ZRc I have coming in for a veteran in a few weeks and will post pics of the process.

Thank you for your answer, I want to put in my tilite zr a frogLeg aluminum soft roll 5" X 1.5" and I like that forks from the Top End Crossfire or Crossfire TA6, the blue distance that I write in your photo, are the same in the two forks?
    If they are the same, can you give me the address where can I by it?

I don`t understand this: and the caster stem stud needs to be backed out of the frame slightly to provide enough length to secure the locknut on the threads.

Where are you going to post pics of the process?, here?

Thanks for all.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=tZmOZXq3YHw
    Last edited by totoL1; 01-03-2009 at 06:38 AM.

I`ve got another question.
    Do you know the angle that Tilite ZR gives to the footrest when is not adjustable.
    I`ve got it in my Quickie GTX with a 15ยบ.

Do you know if this modification has any warranty implications? I have a friend who is interested in having me do this for him but he doesn't want to void his warranty. It's a new chair and he can't work on it by himself realistically.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I was the first CC member to modify my ZR to use 4x1.5" FrogLegs aluminum soft roll casters. It requires forks from the Top End Crossfire or Crossfire TA6 (available for $52 per pair from Sportaid) and the caster stem stud needs to be backed out of the frame slightly to provide enough length to secure the locknut on the threads. I will be doing this conversion on a new ZRc I have coming in for a veteran in a few weeks and will post pics of the process.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Do you know if this modification has any warranty implications? I have a friend who is interested in having me do this for him but he doesn't want to void his warranty. It's a new chair and he can't work on it by himself realistically.
    Per SCI_OTR's experience and instructions, I made this identical modificacation to my ZR last spring (I posted pictures in the original thread -- do a search). The part of the stem bolt that secures to the frame is threaded, so it has to be "unscrewed" (or "backed out," as SCI_OTR puts it) a little bit to accommodate the Top End forks. You can't see the threaded part of the stem bolt when you pull off the Ti forks so you might at first think that you have to pull it out -- that's a mistake that my bike tech made at first.

To your point: I suppose that if the stem bolt broke the warranty for that part would be void and TiLite would not be liable for any injury that might result. From my user's experience, however, the risk of damage is beyond remote. The stem bolt remains extremely secure; I've had no issues, it's required no maintenance whatsoever.

And one last point . . . The difference in the sweep of the caster -- the Top End fork will result in the casters positioned a smidgen closer to the rear of the chair -- is also negligible. I suppose it changes the center of gravity, but I didn't feel the difference.

Hope this puts some minds at ease. It's a very worthwhile modification IMO.

But you put the same stem bolt that you have in the tilite, or you put a stem bolt of a crosfire T6.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    But you put the same stem bolt that you have in the tilite, or you put a stem bolt of a crosfire T6.
    Use the original Ti stem bolt. It's just unscrewed a 1/4" or so.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Use the original Ti stem bolt. It's just unscrewed a 1/4" or so.

O.k
    Can you tell me the name in english of that thing I show you with my finger in the photo?

It`s because I`m going to order a pair of forks of a crosfire t6 and that thing that I show you in the photo.
    Here in Spain we`ve got distributors of tilite and frogLegs, but Invacare don`t sell here the crosfire top end T6 and it`s parts either, and I have to by this things in USA in Sportaid.

If you would be so kind put the words that I have to order to Sportaid here, and I`ll copy it and I put the same in the order.

Thanks.

Download the Invacare Crossfire Parts Book.

On page 4 of this PDF you will find the part numbers for the items you need.

The part you're pointing to is item #1139775 -- Front Caster Mounting Hardware. This includes the caster bolt and spacers.

Assuming that they ship internationally (a safe assumption), you can order these parts directly from Invacare.