Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Gay penguins expelled from zoo colony for stealing eggs are given their own to look a

  1. #1
    Senior Member Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Montreal,Province of Quebec, CANADA
    Posts
    15,036

    Smile Gay penguins expelled from zoo colony for stealing eggs are given their own to look a

    Gay penguins expelled from zoo colony for stealing eggs are given their own to look after following animal rights protest


    By Caroline Graham
    Last updated at 4:13 PM on 15th December 2008

    A pair of gay penguins thrown out of their zoo colony for repeatedly stealing eggs have been given some of their own to look after following a protest by animal rights groups.
    Last month the birds were segregated after they were caught placing stones at the feet of parents before waddling away with their eggs.
    But angry visitors to Polar Land in Harbin, northern China, complained it wasn't fair to stop the couple from becoming surrogate fathers and urged zoo bosses to give them a chance.

    Enlarge
    Who's the daddy? The segregated penguin couple, right, are seen here in their own enclosure quarrelling with another male over stolen eggs
    In response, zookeepers gave the pair two eggs laid by an inexperienced first-time mother.
    'We decided to give them two eggs from another couple whose hatching ability had been poor and they've turned out to be the best parents in the whole zoo,' said one of the keepers.
    'It's very encouraging and if this works out well we will try to arrange for them to become real parents themselves with artificial insemination.'
    Wildlife experts at the park explain that despite being gay the three-year-old male birds are still driven by an urge to be fathers.
    'One of the responsibilities of being a male adult is looking after the eggs. Despite the fact that they can't have eggs naturally, it does not take away their biological drive to be a parent,' said one.

    One campaigner who did not want to be named welcomed the move and said: 'It wasn't fair to stop them becoming parents and keep them apart from all the other birds just because of the way nature has made them.'

    Last month zookeepers said the couple were removed from the group not because of discrimination, but so as not to disturb the colony during hatching time.





    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...s-protest.html

  2. #2
    Senior Member watchthisbaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Washington
    Posts
    588
    LMAO!! I guess it shows that it is biological.
    "We're one but we're not the same. We get to carry each other" U2

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthisbaby View Post
    LMAO!! I guess it shows that it is biological.
    Hell no! Discrimination and bigotry are so fun; we definitely choose it.


  4. #4
    Senior Member watchthisbaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Washington
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    Hell no! Discrimination and bigotry are so fun; we definitely choose it.
    And I love this chair stuck to my azz! I hope you knew I was being sarcastic Todd your my bff.


    Attachment 27069
    "We're one but we're not the same. We get to carry each other" U2

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthisbaby View Post
    And I love this chair stuck to my azz! I hope you knew I was being sarcastic Todd your my bff.


    Attachment 27069
    I don't get offended easily, sweets. Gracey!


  6. #6
    What a trip! How interesting, instinct kicks in huh? I think it's great they gave them eggs to tend so they can do what they are feel programmed to do. Very cool.

  7. #7
    thats crazy...LMAO thats cool they let them do their thing, and even cooler that their doing it right
    T6/T7 Incomplete Since June 7th 2008
    Walking part-time with KAFOs & Walker
    *Never Quit Pushing*

    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=20290962

  8. #8
    Senior Member SymKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    God's Universe
    Posts
    227
    Does anyone else have the idea that if the PEOPLE would get out of the way, the birds would be better off?
    I don't think the birds ever had a problem, only the human animals did.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SymKat View Post
    Does anyone else have the idea that if the PEOPLE would get out of the way, the birds would be better off?
    I don't think the birds ever had a problem, only the human animals did.
    Tell that to the birds who had their eggs stolen.

    I think it's wonderful that the zoo finally found a way to save some potential chicks and to provide these male penguins with their desire in life, but if they were humans, nobody would think this story was cute or wonderful or anything else. Stealing another couple's child just because you want to be a parent is generally frowned upon in modern society. Would anyone be talking about "instinct" if two, gay, human men kidnapped a baby and claimed they were doing it because their desire to raise a child was oh-so strong?

    C.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    last house on the left
    Posts
    9,791
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing View Post
    Tell that to the birds who had their eggs stolen.

    I think it's wonderful that the zoo finally found a way to save some potential chicks and to provide these male penguins with their desire in life, but if they were humans, nobody would think this story was cute or wonderful or anything else. Stealing another couple's child just because you want to be a parent is generally frowned upon in modern society. Would anyone be talking about "instinct" if two, gay, human men kidnapped a baby and claimed they were doing it because their desire to raise a child was oh-so strong?

    C.
    While I get your point, I think maybe you need to chill a bit on this one. There are plenty of enviornments where the whole point of stealing someone else's young (or potential young) is to provide the next meal in some gory cannabalistic frenzy. They just wanted to be papa's, not the penquin version of Hannibal Lechter.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •