Thread: Question Regarding Drug Testing and Prescription Pain Med's

Question Regarding Drug Testing and Prescription Pain Med's

I'm not sure the "Work, School, & Money" forum is the best place to post this question, but I will have to take a drug test soon for an internship I'm completing in the spring.

I'm on a variety of medications for various types of pain. The only ones I take on a regular basis are the ones I use for neuropathic pain--Gabapentin and Klonapine. But I occasionally take Ultram or Darvocet for arthritis pain; and Zanaflex or Flexeril for muscle spasms.

Should I be worried about any of these showing up in the test? If so, how should I address this with the agency for which I want to intern? I wouldn't imagine that they could descriminate against me for medications I have prescriptions for, right???
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Disclose the drugs you are taking prior to getting the drug test done. This should include any prescription controlled drugs that you have taken in the last 30 days. Depending on what tests they do, these meds may not even show up, but if they do, then you should be prepared with evidence that they are prescribed (ie, copy of the prescription, the label on the meds, or a letter from your physician). It should not be a problem.

(KLD)

Thanks, KLD!

Agencies that require polygraphs can also adjust machines and questions when they are aware of pain meds you're currently on. Be upfront with all of them. You'll do great Danine.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Agencies that require polygraphs can also adjust machines and questions when they are aware of pain meds you're currently on. Be upfront with all of them. You'll do great Danine.
    Thanks for the encouragement, Sue. I'm nervous (not just about the drug testing and my pain med's) but in general. This 10 hour/week internship will be my first "baby step" back into the world of work. I haven't worked with clients since my SCI 18 months ago. I know I'm still grieving and will have to keep those emotions in check. Also, I'll have to figure out how to manage the physical pain without becoming my usual cranky self...LOL...

I find pain goes way down when my mind is totally on something else. I'd hate to be a counselor to a whiney type who is very AB. Now that would make me cranky.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Danine View Post
    I'm not sure the "Work, School, & Money" forum is the best place to post this question, but I will have to take a drug test soon for an internship I'm completing in the spring.

I'm on a variety of medications for various types of pain. The only ones I take on a regular basis are the ones I use for neuropathic pain--Gabapentin and Klonapine. But I occasionally take Ultram or Darvocet for arthritis pain; and Zanaflex or Flexeril for muscle spasms.

Should I be worried about any of these showing up in the test? If so, how should I address this with the agency for which I want to intern? I wouldn't imagine that they could descriminate against me for medications I have prescriptions for, right???
    They don't test for much except weed and cocaine and crack, that kind of thing, bad stuff. I was hired by a major DC and acquired and still have a security clearance, even though I stopped smoking weed only 2 weeks before the test. I was taking no other pain meds or illicit drugs, but I did sweat the MJ results. No matter, it didn't show up. I'm not overweight, and they say people who are heavy carry the remnants of drugs much longer than those not heavy.

Not that I'm saying you'rve heavy Danine, I don't know you. But don't sweat it. If you're taking pain meds, list them before you take the test (but truth be told, I doubt they even check for those) More than likely, they'll just shuffle the papers and test as they always do, for the hard-core, illicit, street drugs.

Good luck, you'll do well

btw - I had a wild youth, and had many arrests for misdemeanors going back to before I turned 23 or so. The FBI found em all out, considered them, and said hell, it ain't not big deal. I still got my clearance. They were for fighting, DUIs, inciting to riot (I had to explain that one), and a few other similar offenses. But they were 20 years in the past, and we all grow up sooner or later.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

This is great that you are moving forward. I wouldn't worry about the drug test at all. Mostly they test for barbituates, THC (marijuana), Benzodiazepams, and Opium. Just bring your prescribed meds with you as proof they are not illicit.