Thread: I need advice on a Patient Lift.

I need advice on a Patient Lift.

I am going to get a Lift so my wife can pick me up when I fall or slip out of my chair or off the bed onto the floor. Twice now I have had to call for help just to get back up. I can no longer get myself up with out assistance. My leg's are no help and my upper body strength tires quickly.

My Insurance should cover the cost but I'm not sure on what type would be best. I've seen several online including ebay. Manual, Electric, and Battery powered ones, but I'm not sure which would be best.

Has anyone had a good or bad experience with these?

I have an Arjo Maxi Lite which does not work well for off the floor transfers.

They have a new one:http://www.arjohuntleigh.com/us/Prod...Category_Id=14

Looks like floor lifts are what it is designed for,

Check the care cure forums. One of the SCI nurses highly recommends one brand that she uses for her Mom but I cant remember which one.

To make it easier on your wife, I'd recommend a battery powered lift instead of the manual powered hyrdaulic.

Definitely get a power lift. Many studies have shown that manual crank or pump lifts cause repetitive stress injuries in caregivers over time. If you require a lot of manual lifting for your transfers, then your caregivers should be using a lift all of the time, not just when you fall.

If money is no object, then I would strongly recommend you look at a lift that is powered, that is compact, and can also be used for travel if possible. Of course a ceiling track lift is even easier to use, esp. if you have carpet, but cannot pick you up if you fall a long ways from where you have it installed.

The ones I would recommend include the Hoyer Advance (but no other Hoyer model), the Molift Smart, or the LikoLight. If you don't want the compact or travel feature, then look at the Liko Golvo and the Arjo Maxi Lite . Whatever you do, don't purchase without trying the lifts out with a local vendor, and be sure you get the correct type of sling that is easy to apply in a sitting or laying position. You should not sit in the sling in your wheelchair (it is bad for your skin).

An alternative to a lift for those who can stand or walk but can't get themselves off the floor is the Elk or Camel (battery powered as well). We have a couple of these to use in the parking lot with a back board for anyone who is injured and needs to be lifted from the floor to a gurney without using a lift sling around their legs.

(KLD)

Thank you cmoore & SCI-Nurse for your input. These are great to talk to my doctor about. I'm entering into a new stage in my life with my MS and I don't want to wear out our local Fire Department, calling them every time I slip. I called the 2 years ago and just the other day when I slipped of the bed.

SCI-Nurse I think you are right, the powered ones are the way to go, and I like the ones that can be rolled around.

Bob

I have been using a Liko lift.(LikoLight) I am very happy with the lift.
    http://www.liko.com/web/frameset.asp...03&menuid=1678
    Last edited by JK; 01-01-2009 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels4one View Post
    Thank you cmoore & SCI-Nurse for your input. These are great to talk to my doctor about. I'm entering into a new stage in my life with my MS and I don't want to wear out our local Fire Department, calling them every time I slip. I called the 2 years ago and just the other day when I slipped of the bed.

SCI-Nurse I think you are right, the powered ones are the way to go, and I like the ones that can be rolled around.

Bob
    Bob,
    Are you a Veteran? If you are & are not being treated under SCI service at a VA Hospital or Medical center you sign up immediatley. The VA supplies us Veterans w/some great equipment to use at home.
    I agree w/others that if I needed a lift I would go for one that is powered as it saves wear n tear on your loved ones & care givers.
    Sorry to hear that you have MS. My heart goes out to you.
    Happy New Year to you & every one else here on Care Cure. I hope 2009 is a great year for every one & for our great country that we all live in.

BOB S.
    Florida

Quote Originally Posted by wheels4one View Post
    My Insurance should cover the cost...
    I didn't have that option, so for a lot less $$ (if your bones are strong & your back can take it) I have barn door track mounted to the ceiling, with a 12volt winch mounted to the trolley & use a rescue sling (no fear of sitting on that!).
    "Let your food be your medicine" - Hippocrates

JK,
    I like the Liko also. I could take it with me if I traveled.

Bob,
    I was not in the Military so the VA is out. My Insurance is good and should cover the cost, but I still have to get it approved which should be no problem.

Goat,
    I've thought about the track system but my ceilings are high and pitched. Unless I move into a different house I think the portable ones will work for now.