Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "How bad R U from 1 to 10?" arrrrrrrgh!!!!

Here's my theory on the pain scale. It doesn't say 1 to 9 it says 1 through 10. I agree with what a spinal PM told me. Anything past 10 is unconscious or dead. If you are at a 10, then use it! And I have been at a 10 before. Nowdays, I am more like 5ish or 6ish. The thing is many people have said they "save the 10". Why? That is not what the thing asks. If it is the absolute worst pain you have ever had, then that is a 10 in my opinion. As someone else said when you are laying there, and in my case, wanting my head blown off...then that is a 10. I asked my spinal PM once what levels his patients usually report. He told me that by the time they reach him for treatment (cervicogenic/occipital) they are usually at 9+ but he did add, "...you might as well call it a 10 because I have it myself."

And I know the feeling of feet and hands feeling like they have been dipped in acid.

So, through the years and being that I CANNOT take the SSRI's NOR the typical nerve meds. And it has to do with the way I metabolize meds or the CYP450 deal. I just treat it with Vicodin and Klonopin. Trust me, I have tried everything out there except for Topomax over a period of now 9 years. I also get spinal injections and an occasional Dosepak. If it weren't for the injections I think I would be taking handfuls of meds. I just thank God for an excellent spinal PM and try to treat this stuff in other ways. Heat, ice and exercise...in particular aqua therapy. The two cervical fusions have also helped quite dramatically but there is the ongoing neuropathic pain or Central Pain Syndrome. And I also think so far anyway, that there comes a point where distractions really DO help a great deal. I have just found if I am engrossed in something the pain is in the background and not in the forefront. All I am really saying is that everyone is unique and what might work for one might not work for the other. It is all in finding the right combination...at least that is what I have found to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Danine View Post
    ....like birthing a porcupine out my ass.
    :
    Danine, I think that is a great description.

My take on the pain scale is that it is useful in describing acute pain, not chronic pain, pain that you know won't go away.
    So at any given time, it can give you an instantaneous snapshot of pain but doesn't come close to describing chronic pain.
    So , if asked what number I would ascribe to my pain, I try to remember what it is like to not be in some pain 24/7. That alone is hard for me because it has been 7 years ago. Then, I try to imagine what I would call this current feeling. It usually is a number much much higher than how I would describe it without this mental exercise since I live with it like an unwelcome friend staying at my house and who won't leave.....
    My arndog pain scale is simple. How much is this current pain/ feeling affecting how well you can engage in life at this moment. When the pain is bad, I can't concentrate on other things, I withdraw, I am not 'here'. Don't know if this simple question gets to the root of it, curious what others think...
    Jon
    Last edited by arndog; 01-02-2009 at 09:43 AM.

I agree Arndog, Danine's description is one of the best I've seen.

The problem of chronic pain versus current accute pain, is it the same but different? Or, are they completely seperate and to be treated seperate? I never know how to approach the doctor regarding the pain I have. You get a med and are told to take say 1 - 3 x's a day. What about the days it does'nt even come close for any relief? They don't give any extra meds for those days.

I wonder if they actually realize the pain NEVER stops. I don't remember what it feels like anymore not to hurt. Sometimes I try to remember when I see someone griping about some small ache or pain. Lord I'll trade you! My family does'nt get it. I don't think anyone does unless they have it. Not even those that are educated about it can truly know unless they've experienced it.

My eight year old grandson is the only one that remembers to NOT touch the top of my right hand, it's like burning or stabbing me.

Quote Originally Posted by dgrotz View Post
    I'm not saying I feel suicidal right now but many times in my life I have and yeah the truck has crossed my mind a lot but it's ify, I don't need another injury. I was just saying the train would be a lot of temptation for me.
    yeah, man - i think everyone here has been there....good luck....steve.

Quote Originally Posted by bdvaneven View Post
    God bless you Steve,

Your pain sounds undescribable. I believe you are in 10/10 pain levels. What you said at the end about exercising, building bikes, reading, etc.. Those activities at least you enjoy doing and they do take some pain away from that massive pain cycle you have but I can't image it takes away a lot of pain. Take one day at a time guy, that's all you can do. Is there anything else they can do for your pain right now? I know you've taken very heavy pain medication(s). Have they ever sent you to a pain management doctor? It sounds like most of your pain is neuropathic in nature. Have they tried an internal baclofen pump w/some morphine in it? Enjoy the small pleasure daily and take one day at a time. God Bless You and God Speed!
    thanks for your concern, man. i appreciate it. i'm doing OK. i can't do the narcotics. i spent almost a year on them 24/7 while to re-assembled me. the dude abides........steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi49 View Post
    Here's my theory on the pain scale. It doesn't say 1 to 9 it says 1 through 10. I agree with what a spinal PM told me. Anything past 10 is unconscious or dead. If you are at a 10, then use it! And I have been at a 10 before. Nowdays, I am more like 5ish or 6ish. The thing is many people have said they "save the 10". Why? That is not what the thing asks. If it is the absolute worst pain you have ever had, then that is a 10 in my opinion. As someone else said when you are laying there, and in my case, wanting my head blown off...then that is a 10. I asked my spinal PM once what levels his patients usually report. He told me that by the time they reach him for treatment (cervicogenic/occipital) they are usually at 9+ but he did add, "...you might as well call it a 10 because I have it myself."

And I know the feeling of feet and hands feeling like they have been dipped in acid.

So, through the years and being that I CANNOT take the SSRI's NOR the typical nerve meds. And it has to do with the way I metabolize meds or the CYP450 deal. I just treat it with Vicodin and Klonopin. Trust me, I have tried everything out there except for Topomax over a period of now 9 years. I also get spinal injections and an occasional Dosepak. If it weren't for the injections I think I would be taking handfuls of meds. I just thank God for an excellent spinal PM and try to treat this stuff in other ways. Heat, ice and exercise...in particular aqua therapy. The two cervical fusions have also helped quite dramatically but there is the ongoing neuropathic pain or Central Pain Syndrome. And I also think so far anyway, that there comes a point where distractions really DO help a great deal. I have just found if I am engrossed in something the pain is in the background and not in the forefront. All I am really saying is that everyone is unique and what might work for one might not work for the other. It is all in finding the right combination...at least that is what I have found to be true.
    Could you tell me please what is an occassional Dosepak? I've never heard of that before. I know what your talking about when you say spinal injections help. I havn't had one in years because the Dr. that is in charge now of the Anesthesia pain clinic at the hospital I go to for my care says that my BMI (body mass index) is to high. I don't agree w/her rationale.
    I know what the injections use to do for me when another doctor was in charge of the clinic. The relief I got from the injections use to last a long time. My former primary care doctor that I use to have before being transferred over to the SCI Center at the hospital had gone to the patient advocate for another one of her patients because the anesthesia pain clinic wouldn't inject her patient & Anesthesia Pain Clinic stood their ground & still refused to do injections on the other guy so her hands were tied. I wish the doctor in charge now would change her rationale or protocol or what ever you want to call it. She even told me I don't qualify for a pump either. I think I will just have to file an appeal some how to get what I want.
    Happy New Year every one !

Hi RAFS,

Sure, it is Methylprednisolone (Prednisone). It's the pack that you use for about 6 days and usually 4mg. So, on the first day you take the 6 tablets, next day 5 and goes down to the last day...just one. The only thing is...take with food!!! Otherwise it can really rip your stomach. And when I said occasional it was because when my arms were ripping from the pain (from my cervical spine) it was on a weekend. So, my PM would just phone in a script for me. I just recently took a Dosepak though from my ortho doc to get the shoulder inflammation down and to start in on PT. It did help! But keep in mind...I have probably been on these packs about 3 or 4 times throughout the years. In other words...not a monthly or even a yearly thing although some people do take them more frequently. This is potent stuff and the SE's can be bad if taken all the time.

I am sorry to hear you can no longer get the injections. When you spoke of the BMI, I immediately thought of diabetes. Could that be the doc's rationale? And I know what you mean by certain clinics. The first one I went to years ago was a Pain Clinic and they did the spinal injections. However, I had Residents doing them with the oversight of the Director. Talk about torture! It was pretty darn painful! But to be fair, they were doing their best. It was explained to me a lot later that the Residents just take twice as long so I suppose that is why it hurt so bad. In any case, the injections they gave me did not work and I have my theories as to why besides not getting at the right level. Then a friend of mine at work told me about the Indiana Spine Group. I read the credentials of the PM there and the NS and was thrilled to read that the PM's expertise was headaches coming from the cervical spine. He gave me an injection at the C3/C4 and for the first time in 3 years I had relief. Fast forward to today and I am still with him. He moved and became the Director at a spine clinic at another hospital. Oh, I should add that when he gave me that first injection, it did NOT hurt at all! He is that good! Anyway, I have followed him because I just do not trust anyone else. And I should clarify and say that these injections are NOT all the time. I think I pretty much average 6 months to a year depending on the level or what activities I do. And I just saw him about 3 months ago for an RF in the lumbar which is still giving me relief. Oh, and he is NOT a "needle jockey" lol. Trust me, he prescribes PT, meds, etc. What do they call it? Interventional I think. So, no, he is not all about injections at all. It is just that when I have them, they do help.

Okay, sorry for rambling. What I know for a fact is that without the injections I would be eating meds like candy as I had to do many years ago. So, they do help. I think too some docs find some of the injections to be controversial and even RF's. But I am one where these procedures have helped quite a bit. I know for some they haven't worked.

I wish you luck in getting this all resolved.
    Last edited by Kathi49; 01-03-2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Added More

Scale I always went by was the Comparison Pain Scale. 0-10 subjective pain scale. I don't like it and now use more of a functional pain scale. That way individuals don't focus in on their pain but rather what they can do.

1-3 minimal pain-You know it's there but it doesn't affect your life. You learn to adapt.

4-6- Moderate pain- You definitely know it's there. It affects most activity of daily living and employment skills. Most people think about the pain all the time. Cannot adapt to the pain.

7-10-Severe pain-There all the time. You cannot barely do anything. Cannot adapt to the pain. a ten is comparable to throat cancer. You care passing out because the pain is so bad. You need to call 911 immediately.

Not the greatest pain scale in the world but helps some people because pain is so subjective. Rather use a more functional based pain scale. Less focus on the pain and more focus on function and what you can actually do.

Hope everyone had a happy new year and that 2009 brings positive things for all of us...
    Brian

"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, The courage to change the things we can, And the wisdom to know the difference."

Serenity Prayer

that point when your feet fall asleep, and it is agony to move them. that is what I feel in my feet legs and butt. its more fire than pain. its the same as the needles pins, only I call it needles and steaknives. its not always terrible. that pain doesnt go away,but the bone and belly pain is cared for by duragesic. the only time I became suicidal is when taking neurontin. which did help with the neuro pain, but messed up my head. I had some bubbly on new years eve. I dont drink often, but I noticed, though I could not balance at all, the pain was gone. drinking is not a option though. im wondering why my pain doc wants to cut the duragesic in half and add dilaudid for break through, when I only need breakthrough meds when I need a new patch. hate the on a scale of 1-10 thing, but wacha gonna do?

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    that point when your feet fall asleep, and it is agony to move them. that is what I feel in my feet legs and butt. its more fire than pain. its the same as the needles pins, only I call it needles and steaknives. its not always terrible. that pain doesnt go away,but the bone and belly pain is cared for by duragesic. the only time I became suicidal is when taking neurontin. which did help with the neuro pain, but messed up my head. I had some bubbly on new years eve. I dont drink often, but I noticed, though I could not balance at all, the pain was gone. drinking is not a option though. im wondering why my pain doc wants to cut the duragesic in half and add dilaudid for break through, when I only need breakthrough meds when I need a new patch. hate the on a scale of 1-10 thing, but wacha gonna do?

Insurance company's like it... I'm sorry about your pain. I do have the "burning" pain in my back and legs but probably not to the extend that you do. I have no knife like pains. It's hard to describe one's own pain, isn't it? I'm not a doctor and don't know why he/she wants to cut the duragesics. Your pain most be very severe if he/she wants you on diladudid? Anyways my friend, I hope 2009 finds you well.
    Brian

"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, The courage to change the things we can, And the wisdom to know the difference."

Serenity Prayer