Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Managing iPod Touch without iTunes?

Managing iPod Touch without iTunes?

Does anybody know of a Windows program that will allow you to manage video and music on an iPod Touch without using iTunes? Or alternatively, is there a way you can do this in iTunes if you are using a machine that doesn't have the iPod's current library loaded on it? I am guessing the answer is no on the second question but am asking in case somebody knows an obscure iTunes setting I am missing.

Basically I am looking for a method that will allow my Dad to add some video files to his iPod Touch without doing a full sync. His laptop is away at a repair depot and he wants to add some video files without wiping off the library currently on the iPod--which is what iTunes will do if we try to add the video files off my laptop.

Any ideas? So far I have tried CopyTrans Manager, which I found with Google, and it didn't work. Thanks in advance if anybody can help.

Edit to add: One thought I had was to copy his library on to my laptop and just reload everything with a new iTunes sync. However unlike the video and classic iPods that have hard drives that can be accessed through Windows, I just discovered the Touch doesn't. So I can't even find a way to pull his files off it. Both of my laptops just recognized the Touch as a camera device with no hard drive. Any ideas if it there might be another way to hack into the Touch's memory?

I love iPods, hate iTunes
    Last edited by orangejello; 12-30-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello View Post
    Does anybody know of a Windows program that will allow you to manage video and music on an iPod Touch without using iTunes? Or alternatively, is there a way you can do this in iTunes if you are using a machine that doesn't have the iPod's current library loaded on it? I am guessing the answer is no on the second question but am asking in case somebody knows an obscure iTunes setting I am missing.

Basically I am looking for a method that will allow my Dad to add some video files to his iPod Touch without doing a full sync. His laptop is away at a repair depot and he wants to add some video files without wiping off the library currently on the iPod--which is what iTunes will do if we try to add the video files off my laptop.

Any ideas? So far I have tried CopyTrans Manager, which I found with Google, and it didn't work. Thanks in advance if anybody can help.

Edit to add: One thought I had was to copy his library on to my laptop and just reload everything with a new iTunes sync. However unlike the video and classic iPods that have hard drives that can be accessed through Windows, I just discovered the Touch doesn't. So I can't even find a way to pull his files off it. Both of my laptops just recognized the Touch as a camera device with no hard drive. Any ideas if it there might be another way to hack into the Touch's memory?

I love iPods, hate iTunes
    OJ,

I am afraid that what you are asking for is specifically what Apple does not want people to do. The ipod software is designed to play music or video from iTune files that are invisible to a computer (Apple or Windows) if you connect up to the iPod in disc mode. To reduce piracy of music of video (which was necessary in order for Apple to convince music publishers to release their music to iTunes, an iPod is supposed to receive music and video only from an iTunes and only in a unidirectional flow (computer to iPod). This is to prevent the iPod from being a portable delivery device for copyrighted music and movies.

So, here is what one article on the subject says:
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...computers.html

How can I transfer or copy music from my computer to my iPod?

In the official company FAQ, Apple explains that:

iPod offers three ways to transfer music from your computer. You can select one of the following update modes from the iPod Preferences menu in iTunes:

1. Automatically update all songs and playlists. This is the default mode, in which your entire music library, including playlists, is automatically synched to your iPod. If the music library on your computer exceeds the iPod storage capacity, iTunes will offer to choose a selection of songs to sync to iPod.

2. Automatically update selected playlists. With this option, iTunes automatically copies only the playlists you have selected to iPod when you connect it to the computer. This option can be selected by accessing the Music tab of the iPod settings.

3. Manually manage music. You can also choose to transfer music to iPod manually. This allows you to drag and drop individual songs and playlists from iTunes to iPod. You can find this option by accessing the Summmary tab of the iPod settings.

If the number of songs on your computer exceeds the capacity of the iPod, Apple's "AutoFill" feature within iTunes will select the number of songs, audiobooks, and podcasts that fit on the iPod as directed by the user or at random.

You can also configure your iPod to appear as a hard drive on the desktop -- with the exception of the iPod touch models (although third-party software is available) -- and manually drag files of any type to the iPod. Music files copied to the iPod in this way won't play on the iPod, without first copying them to a computer and importing them into iTunes, but this is useful for backing up or transporting any type of file. Please refer to "Using Your iPod as a Storage Drive" and "Putting iPod Into Disk Mode" from the Apple Support Site for more information.

Also see: How can I transfer or copy music from my iPod to my computer?

How can I transfer music or files between computers using the iPod? How can I move my iTunes music from my old computer to my new one using the iPod?

To transfer music or files between computers, you will need to use your iPod as a hard disk (please note that the iPod touch models officially do not support disk mode, although third-party software is available). In disk mode, you can effectively drag any file to the iPod, disconnect the iPod, connect it to another computer, and drag the file from the iPod to the second computer.

Please refer to "Using Your iPod as a Storage Disk" from the Apple Support Site for detailed instructions on how to copy legally acquired music from one computer to another using the iPod. For moving music to a new computer specifically, please refer to "Moving Music to a New Computer".

Also see:

* How can I transfer or copy music from my iPod to my computer?
    * How can I transfer or copy music from my computer to my iPod?
    * Can I directly connect two iPods to each other and transfer music?
    There are of course third party programs for Mac that allow you to tap into the iTunes database and transfer music to and from the iPod. I don't know whether such programs are available for Windows, however.

Wise.

...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Thanks Pinky and Wise. I meant to come back to this thread sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    OJ,

I am afraid that what you are asking for is specifically what Apple does not want people to do. The ipod software is designed to play music or video from iTune files that are invisible to a computer (Apple or Windows) if you connect up to the iPod in disc mode. To reduce piracy of music of video (which was necessary in order for Apple to convince music publishers to release their music to iTunes, an iPod is supposed to receive music and video only from an iTunes and only in a unidirectional flow (computer to iPod). This is to prevent the iPod from being a portable delivery device for copyrighted music and movies.
    Wise.
    I agree with what you have written here but unfortunately I don't think forcing the use of iTunes actually does cut down on theft and copyright violations as any mp3 and mp4 file (even those illegally downloaded) can be successfully played on iPods--as long as the user is willing to use iTunes to put the files on the iPod. Not that I am advocating illegal downloading, I just find iTunes very frustrating and Apple's reasoning for forcing it on users somewhat misguided. However I will save my anti-iTunes rant for another day

I am not sure about Macs but on Windows machines it is very easy to gain access to the invisible music files on an iPod by simply turning on the "show hidden files" option in Windows Explorer and then copying the files elsewhere. No hacks or special programs are needed. Although I think that only allows the removal of music from an iPod without iTunes. I am not sure if music can be put onto the iPod the same way as I have never tried to do that. Anyways, unlike the video and classic iPods, you can't do this with an iPod Touch as it seems to have a different memory set up than the other models. Unlike other iPods, you also can't use the touch as an external storage device. I guess that was more what my question was asking, if anybody knew a way to gain access to the Touch memory since it differs from the other models. So far the consensus online seems to be there is no good way to do this out there yet.

Pinky thanks for the link. That program did work beautifully with my iPod Video to transfer music and video without iTunes. Thanks as it will help get rid of one small headache (iTunes) in my life. Unfortunately it doesn't work with a Touch. But oh well. My solution to the problem was to just convince my dad he really didn't need the video files on his iPod anyway. That worked

Thanks Pinky and Wise. I meant to come back to this thread sooner.

I agree with what you have written here but unfortunately I don't think forcing the use of iTunes actually does cut down on theft and copyright violations as any mp3 and mp4 file (even those illegally downloaded) can be successfully played on iPods--as long as the user is willing to use iTunes to put the files on the iPod. Not that I am advocating illegal downloading, I just find iTunes very frustrating and Apple's reasoning for forcing it on users somewhat misguided. However I will save my anti-iTunes rant for another day

I am not sure about Macs but on Windows machines it is very easy to gain access to the invisible music files on an iPod by simply turning on the "show hidden files" option in Windows Explorer and then copying the files elsewhere. No hacks or special programs are needed. Although I think that only allows the removal of music from an iPod without iTunes. I am not sure if music can be put onto the iPod the same way as I have never tried to do that. Anyways, unlike the video and classic iPods, you can't do this with an iPod Touch as it seems to have a different memory set up than the other models. Unlike other iPods, you also can't use the touch as an external storage device. I guess that was more what my question was asking, if anybody knew a way to gain access to the Touch memory since it differs from the other models. So far the consensus online seems to be there is no good way to do this out there yet.

Pinky thanks for the link. That program did work beautifully with my iPod Video to transfer music and video without iTunes. Thanks as it will help get rid of one small headache (iTunes) in my life. Unfortunately it doesn't work with a Touch. But oh well. My solution to the problem was to just convince my dad he really didn't need the video files on his iPod anyway. That worked
    OJ,

Apparently, Apple itunes music store will be going DRM free. Steven Jobs agrees with you concerning all these protections. Apple was obliged to protect the material. They managed to get the big four music labels to agree to take the DRM protection away, which allows itunes to put the songs on devices other than iPod and without limitation on the number of copies. In exchange, Apple allowed them to charge different prices for the music.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...ion=E-Business

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Apparently, Apple itunes music store will be going DRM free.
    I wonder if it'll be retroactive to all the stuff I've already bought through the iTunes store. As it is, the iTunes store is losing money from me because I buy my music through Amazon now, avoiding the DRM headaches. I imagine a lot of others are doing the same.

Does anybody know of a Windows program that will allow you to manage video and music on an iPod Touch without using iTunes?
    Hi there

just try:
    4Media iPod to PC Transfer
    and
    4Media iPod Video Converter

I've tried the first one and is good.
    This signature left intentionally blank.

Managing iPod Touch without iTunes

I have found this another interesting way of using the iPod Touch without iTunes. You can use Winamp to transfer music or you can use iPod Touch as a USB Drive. This can be accomplished by using mlipod. A software developed by developers at SourceForge. The detailed instructions can be found at these two sites.

http://mlipod.sourceforge.net/

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...ing_itunes.cfm

That is good news about Apple stopping the DRM protection. I may actually start buying music from the iTunes store again. Like Scorpion I have been getting my music elsewhere, just too many headaches with iTunes and DRM--especially when you have paid for music you can't use on any other device.

Quote Originally Posted by cypresss View Post
    Hi there

just try:
    4Media iPod to PC Transfer
    and
    4Media iPod Video Converter

I've tried the first one and is good.
    Hey cy Thanks a bunch. I got a copy of the transfer program and it does exactly what I was looking for. And works with the Touch! I tried the converter as well and like it even better than Cucusoft, which is what I was using up to now. Both are great programs. You are the best!

Is it worth it? Apple sw won't let me either.
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!