Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tailbone is hurting

Thumbs down Tailbone is hurting

I got my new wheelchair in May & was upset as soon as I notiiced it had a full back. My old chair had a 8-12" gap open between the bottom pan & the bottom of the back. I asked for the DME to change it but he said it would ruin the warranty. I've been sitting in it and although I wasn't crazy about it, I made do with it.
    But last week my tailbone started getting pink & hurting really bad! It would get red & I'd stay in bed 1 day. Next day up. Get red. Next day stay in bed. So on,,,, It hurt yesterday but didn't get pink But it makes my legs tingle like they're asleep. I have a sway back. I have a large dip in my back and the bone sticks out real pointed. My pca said it was the bone 4-5" above the crack. Even when it doesn't get pink it hurts awful! I don't know why after 6 months it started getting pink & hurting, but it's killing me!
    I tried putting memory foam on it. But that just put pressure furthur down.
    I can't keep sitting with it hurting & getting red. What should I do?
    If I tell my DME he'll remind me it will ruin the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
    I got my new wheelchair in May & was upset as soon as I notiiced it had a full back. My old chair had a 8-12" gap open between the bottom pan & the bottom of the back. I asked for the DME to change it but he said it would ruin the warranty. I've been sitting in it and although I wasn't crazy about it, I made do with it.
    But last week my tailbone started getting pink & hurting really bad! It would get red & I'd stay in bed 1 day. Next day up. Get red. Next day stay in bed. So on,,,, It hurt yesterday but didn't get pink But it makes my legs tingle like they're asleep. I have a sway back. I have a large dip in my back and the bone sticks out real pointed. My pca said it was the bone 4-5" above the crack. Even when it doesn't get pink it hurts awful! I don't know why after 6 months it started getting pink & hurting, but it's killing me!
    I tried putting memory foam on it. But that just put pressure furthur down.
    I can't keep sitting with it hurting & getting red. What should I do?
    If I tell my DME he'll remind me it will ruin the warranty.

Tell them since you fitted me for this chair and am getting a sore because of the back you....the DME will be sued for the pressure sore and bills.
    That should get there attention.
    I had the back changed on mine and it was no problem.
    Needed a higher back for the tilt so it would not make my back sore.

Art
    Art

By the way the new roho cushion covers sux.....so I bought 2 way strech material and had a Seamstress replace it. Cost me 20 bucks....but my ass don't get red no more.
    I called ROHO and complain about it......with no results.....lol
    Sometimes u just have to take matters in your own hands.

Art
    Art

Cool dude! Art do you slide out the opening at the bottom of the back when you tilt back all the way? They said I might. Thanks for all the info! I'm not looking forward yo my new roho.

I bought a net flap that hooks at the top of my seatback, goes down the back, behind the seat and hooks the underneath of the front of my seat. Keeps my cushion from sliding out the gap between cushion and back, if that makes sense? Maybe that could help you Mona, not sure though. It even has a pocket in the back where I keep my hotflash fan handy.

If you need, I'll try to source it for you. My cushion was always sliding back on me, it was a constant battle.

That sounds great Bethany.
    I could say I have a plan, something to keep the cushion in.

Thanks!

Mona, my sons cushion has 3 big pieces of velcro (large) across the front and sides and it never slips...I wish you well, and hope it gets resolved soon...and you don't have to wait long...don't understand the warranty excuse, think he was just being a lazy ass...to a healthier and happier New Year! judy

Both my Roho's have velcro on the bottom, came like that. You should only need to match that on the base of the chair and it ain't goin' nowhere.

I too am confused about that "void the warranty" crap, WTH is he talking about? It should be a matter of adjustment to get your gap back I would think.

Whatever; they need to do something because it definitely is not working for you.

Good luck, and a better New Year.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Found it-A miracle! I was in the height of Graves' disease brain fog when I got this. I only know I ordered it b/c I remember opening the box LOL.

It is the roho cushion retainer-I think I got mine at Allegro. I also think I have it installed incorrectly!

Nylon mesh and webbing device fastened into existing wheelchair seat and back upholstery screw locations to keep cushion from sliding back on seat. Adds very little weight to chair. Designed to fit most standard size wheelchairs.

http://www.therohostore.com/Products...iner__CR1.aspx

"The ROHO Cushion Retainer is manufactured of sturdy webbing, to allow for air circulation, and will add very little additional weight to the chair. While all ROHO cushions have special non-skid backing, some cushions can move backward in the chair, causing improper sitting posture and weight distribution. In these cases, a ROHO Cushion Retainer should be used."

There is also 1 I haven't used called (according to AbleData):

Cushion Stop (Model 5035)

The Cushion Stop, model 5035, is a cushion retainer designed to prevent a cushion from sticking out the back of a wheelchair. The heavy cotton duck fabric insert attaches permanently to the seat and back of the wheelchair to prevent the cushion from sliding out. Grommets in the webbing straps attach to the upholstery screws on the back and seat. SIZE: For standard adult or narrow adult wheelchair.

LDB Medical, Inc.
    2909 Langford Road
    Suite 500-B
    Norcross, Georgia 30071
    United States
    Telephone: 800-243-2554 or 770-446-2554.
    Fax: 770-446-5229.
    Web: http://www.ldbmedical.com.
    Email: info@ldbmedical.com.

AWESOME! That'll do it!
    There's no reason for them to not change the back now.
    I thank you. My tailbone thanks you! lol
    Honestly I know it could only take this so long and I'd have a breakdown.
    I'm ordering it tonight!

Thanks sweetie.