Thread: How Certain Vegetables Combat Cancer

How Certain Vegetables Combat Cancer

How Certain Vegetables Combat Cancer

ScienceDaily (Dec. 29, 2008) — Women should go for the broccoli when the relish tray comes around during holiday celebrations this season.

While it has been known for some time that eating cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage, can help prevent breast cancer, the mechanism by which the active substances in these vegetables inhibit cell proliferation was unknown — until now...

"Breast cancer, the second leading cause of cancer deaths in women, can be protected against by eating cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage and near relatives of cabbage such as broccoli and cauliflower," said first author Olga Azarenko, who is a graduate student at UCSB. "These vegetables contain compounds called isothiocyanates which we believe to be responsible for the cancer-preventive and anti-carcinogenic activities in these vegetables. Broccoli and broccoli sprouts have the highest amount of the isothiocyanates.

"Our paper focuses on the anti-cancer activity of one of these compounds, called sulforaphane, or SFN," Azarenko added. "It has already been shown to reduce the incidence and rate of chemically induced mammary tumors in animals. It inhibits the growth of cultured human breast cancer cells, leading to cell death..."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1223121135.htm

good article Antiquity but it doesn't say how much we need to reap the benefits. Should we eat these vegatables raw? I can't (don't like) eat them raw I have to eat them steamed.

Steamed with butter please!

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    good article Antiquity but it doesn't say how much we need to reap the benefits. Should we eat these vegatables raw? I can't (don't like) eat them raw I have to eat them steamed.
    I love broccoli and usually saute it with onions, garlic etc or steam it and have it over spicy rice with corn. i'm not a raw foodist and recent reports have indicated that cooking doesn't necessarily reduce nutritional content so no need to eat it raw.