Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The nostalgia is making me cry my eyes out.

The nostalgia is making me cry my eyes out.

This movie has been in production Hell the past 5 years but it's finally coming out in October. The rush of memories, having it read to me as a child, being sent to my room, full of 5 year old rage, creating my own imaginary world, reading it to my own children in my previous life as a non-disabled person... I think Hollywood got this one right. So without further ado,

LET THE WILD RUMPUS START!

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    . . . I think Hollywood got this one right. So without further ado,

LET THE WILD RUMPUS START!
    I agree, Christopher, I think this might be a very good movie, keeping in spirit with the amazing book but being its own thing at the same time. I haven't gotten teary (yet) watching the trailers, but I do get all warm and fuzzy and feel that inner child getting excited inside. I'm looking forward to sitting in the theater with my big popcorn and soda and twizzlers and feeling 7 years old again.

Where the Wild Things Are and The Giving Tree are my favorite children's books.

You're not the only grown man to tear up watching this trailer, by the way. I've heard of at least couple others doing that.

PS - I have these awesome figures on my bookshelf...

I'm so excited for this movie too! The trailer gives off such good vibes. I can't wait to to lose track of time and escape into my childhood again.

Years ago I picked up the greatest gift card with a picture of Max and and the Wild Things so I framed it and put it on my bookshelf with the book (and my Calvin and Hobbes collection).

My other favourite children's book is Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. Pure sweetness.

Quote Originally Posted by loreo View Post
    Years ago I picked up the greatest gift card with a picture of Max and and the Wild Things so I framed it and put it on my bookshelf with the book (and my Calvin and Hobbes collection).
    That's cool! I have a C&H collection of books, too.

I'll have to check out Love You Forever.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 09-26-2009 at 02:19 AM.

My other favourite children's book is Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. Pure sweetness.
    I met Robert Munsch's daughter at a party once. She really took a shining to my boy and sent us the whole Munsch collection. I love that story too.

Love you Forever is sweet but kind of creepy when she's sneaking in his room when he's grown...
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

We were never "read" these books as children (or any children books for that matter), so really just found out about them only recently. Scorp, who couldn't believe I never read it, got me the book, to try making up (a little) for what he thinks was a deprived childhood. It's also my sister's fiancee's favorite book as a kid, and he was totally flabbergasted she didn't know anything about it. Pretty funny.

No nostalgic memories of nestling under warm covers and falling asleep to sweet bedtime stories. Oh well. But the movie does look cool!

Robert Munsch actually lives in my city. He is a super guy. We had field trips every year when I was a kid to hear him read to us from his newest book. For me, it all started with The Paper Bag Princess.

Scorpion: Here is the link to an audiofile of Love You Forever http://www.robertmunsch.com/playstory.cfm?bookid=40. Listening to the version he reads to the audience takes me back.

Grow up, you assholes! (just teasing)

I'm aware of the book, but I don't remember it that vividly. I did see the trailer for the film on television the other night. Sadly, CK, that link no longer works due to copyright infringement.