Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I really handicap?

Bethany
    I appreciate your comments. The reason for the caps lock is that I
    am in bed trying to type in an awkward position so it's a lot easier to just leave the caps lock on. I will however make the adjustment. Once again, thanks for the comments.

No problem semajh.

Have you tried using 'sticky keys' in Windows? Hit the shift key 5 times to enable it.

Once enabled you can cap up one handed by hitting shift, then the letter you want. It's for people who have trouble holding down a key and typing with the other hand.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Thanks RehabRhino.

Trying Sticky Keys. It works! How do I stop it making a bleep when I use the caps? Awesome thing to learn today!

semajh7,

If you're ever in a position where it's difficult to capitalize correctly, just make note that it's easier to read all lower-case than it is to read all caps. Most of the letters we read regularly are usually lower-case, so it's a strain on the eye to look at a fully capped message. This is the reason a fully capped message will cause ire among people because we're not adapted to it.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    Trying Sticky Keys. It works! How do I stop it making a bleep when I use the caps? Awesome thing to learn today!
    I'd go to your audio preferences and make your entire OS mute. That's my preference.

I don't have a handicap, but I know a lot of people who do, they're called golfers.
    "We're one but we're not the same. We get to carry each other" U2

Central California/ (the Republican side :)
    The caps did not bother-i must b weird. Typin is a challenge 4 me, I often have typos n grammatical errors. I think I'm doin good if I am on here, readin n replyin . I also enjoyed your story n I think u hav a great refreshin attitude
    Stay Strong man,

Evon
    I have a spinal cord injury...a spinal cord injury DOES NOT have me!

walking quad-Central Cord Syndrome

Jasper has a handicap - he takes it off with his paw

I think he looks pretty handy in this rasta cap.
    But seriously, I think you have a good attitude, but be sure to allow yourself to grieve at some point. I had/have to although I like to be how you put it 97.3 % of the time.

I did a 30 km nordic ski race - Tahoe - Truckee Great Ski Race, 800 people entered. There was 1700 ft of climbing and descending and they didn't segregate sitskiers from AB folks. I came in about 400th place just using my arms. I guess I can call the 400 slower than me handicapped....

Quote Originally Posted by semajh7 View Post
    LIFE IS ALL ABOUT PERCEPTION.
    Mostly. However, no matter how you attempt to "perceive" it, a bullet to the head or a knife in the heart is gonna do some damage.

I CHOOSE NOT TO CALL MYSELF HANDICAP
    So how do you refer to your physical condition? Refusing to reference your disability seems akin to refusing to acknowledge whether you are male or female or what age you are or even what state you live in. Why would you do that?

WOULD WE CONSIDER SOMEONE WHO LACKS AMBITION HANDICAP?
    My father might.

THE STATE OF BEING HANDICAP IS IN THE EYES OF THE BEHOLDER.
    Sorry, but that is semantic bullspit. Generally speaking, having a handicap is an indisputable fact. Not being able to walk is a handicap. Not being able to see is a handicap. Not being able to use one's hands is a handicap. None of those things are anything to be ashamed of or hidden. None of those physical disabilities makes one any less of a person or necessarily means that one's life will be less than any others, so there is no need to verbally white wash them.

ONE OF THE BEST PIECES OF ADVICE GIVEN TO ME WHEN I WAS FIRST INJURED WAS THAT I SHOULD LOOK AT MY INJURY AS AN OPPORTUNITY, AND THAT I SHOULD LOOK AT MY CURRENT SITUATION AS AN ADVENTURE.
    While I appreciate the basic premise behind those statements, my first reaction to them is still annoyance. Yes, every single thing that happens to one opens and closes some doors and changes the course of one's life. Every day is a new day, blah, blah, blah... That being said, opportunities and adventures are often things that one chooses to undertake. I don't know a single person that would choose a SCI, all other options being equal.

BEING PARALYZED IS NO EASY TASK BUT OUR MINDS ARE NOT PARALYZED.
    Some people's are. The head injury and mild brain damage that I received as a result of my accident are even more frustrating on some days than is my inability to walk.

I WAS IN A NURSING HOME/REHAB CENTER FOR 2 YEARS FOLLOWING MY INJURIES. INSIDE THIS NURSING HOME/ REHAB CENTER THERE WERE HUNDREDS OF YOUNG GUYS LIKE MYSELF WHO HAD SCI's. WE WERE ALL FOR THE MOST PART COMPLACENT AND COMFORTABLE WITH LIVING THERE AT THAT FACILITY BECAUSE WE HAD EACH OTHER. AFTER A WHILE, EVEN THOUGH I HAD EVERY THING I COULD OF WANTED THERE AT THAT FACILITY(INCLUDING SEVERAL GIRLFRIENDS), I DECIDED THAT I WANTED MORE OUT OF LIFE. I LEFT MY COMFORT ZONE AND MOVED FROM NEW YORK TO FLORIDA, GOT MY OWN PLACE, AND ENROLLED INTO FILM SCHOOL.
    I applaud your current drive and determination, but I have to say that I find your 2 year complacence to be extremely odd. I realize that everyone is different, but I found very little "comfort" in rehab. Some, yes, but not nearly enough to make me want to live there for years. It was reassuring to be in a situation where everyone knew what was up and could step in to help if needed, but overall, the people I've known who went through physical rehabilitation did it as quickly as possible and got back to their lives, altered though they were.

A STRONG WILL, WILL CONQUER ALL.
    Conquer "all" but your inability to walk, eh?

SO AGAIN I ASK YOU"AM I REALLY HANDICAP"
    Yes, but that's OK.

C.

On a side note: You have an adorable smile. Reminds me of a friend that I've lost touch with.
    Last edited by Tiger Racing; 12-29-2008 at 05:22 AM. Reason: To add personal note