Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Classical Music Fans/musicians?

I listened to those lectures (Teaching Company) on the way to & from work a few months ago. Very interesting and enjoyable. The lectures on Mozart's operas were also excellent.
    - Richard
    Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    ...I did an internet, ipod lecture series on Beethoven's 32 piano sonatas - the group of them span his whole career and are a window into his creativity, the piano was his music laboratory.

Ah, chamber music.....

Some day when I'm rich and famous (or old and retired) I will have a grand piano in my living room and I will spend my saturdays surrounded by friends, good food and drink, playing music......

Arndog, you have quite a list of wonderful music there. Impressive.

I'll have a go - a few listening favorites (although I would prefer to play them.....!)

Beethoven opus 132 string quartet - 3rd movement is my favorite single movement.
    But opus 131 is the greatest of them all.
    The piano quintets - Brahms, Schuman, Dvorak.
    Yes, I agree... all Brahms chamber music - especially the piano quartets.
    Certainly some pure, beautiful Mozart - how about the string quintets.
    Schubert's 2 cello quintet
    Schubert songs (An die musik...)
    Messaien - Quartet for the End of Time - devastating
    Shostakovich's piano trio is so wonderful. And the string quartets are fun.
    Bartok string quartets - esp. #1, 2, and 4
    Schoenberg's Verklarte Nacht

And I would have to add a few other favorites, that could be played in a chamber ...

Bach unaccompanied cello suites
    Schubert impromptus for piano
    Beethoven's late piano sonatas. The last 3.
    Arvo Part - Fratres
    Ives - the Unanswered question
    And then which Gould recording of Bach's Goldberg's Variations.... It depends...

there's no end, really....

I am so glad there are others classical music fans.
    Richard - I am a teach12.com junkie and have done tons of the Robert Greenberg musicology lectures. Bach, Haydn, Mozart Operas that you mentioned, His intro to opera which is how I got started with those. I am 50 (old and retired) and I should know something about opera. Then Beethoven 32 piano sonatas, Tchiakovsky (interesting life),etc.
    What others have you listened to?

hlh - I can't believe you mentioned Op 132 3rd movement. It speaks to me so much - I already have dibs on it for playing at my funeral

Op 131(#14) is great but I like #15, 16 as much. I am taken 'em all with me on that desert island.
    Gould Goldman Variations- I have both the '71 and his later version and favor the later mainly cause the sound quality is better. How about you?
    You must be a pianist I would guess.....
    Funny you mention Brahms piano quartets. One hour ago I just saw a concert here in Reno of Op 26 very well done. We have a chamber festival for the next 4 days.
    They also played the amazing Ravel's Trio - have you heard this one? The cellist from the Tokyo Quartet is in town for our festival and he was great.
    I have Shosti's Piano Trio - great piece. I also like his 15 quartets although they start to sound the same after a while.
    LIEDER - Schubert, Brahms , Schumann both Clara and Robert.
    I admit I have a crush on Barbara Bonney and her voice.
    HLH, Anyone who likes Bartok's SQs is okay in my book.
    I have the Emerson Quartet's Bartok cycle.
    Mozarts String quartets dedicated to Haydn , op. 76 I think. Good stuff.
    You are right , the list goes on and on and on.....

LaMeme - Pachelbel's Canon. Nice.

arndog -
    I started with the History of Human Language, then the English language; Mozart's operas, Beethoven's piano sonatas, western literature, the short story, history of Asia Minor, the Metropolitan Museum, will start Great Masters of Music in the New Year. I may have missed 1 or 2!
    - Richard
    Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    ...I am a teach12.com junkie and have done tons of the Robert Greenberg musicology lectures. Bach, Haydn, Mozart Operas that you mentioned, His intro to opera which is how I got started with those. I am 50 (old and retired) and I should know something about opera. Then Beethoven 32 piano sonatas, Tchiakovsky (interesting life),etc.
    What others have you listened to?...

Does Charlotte Church or Josh Groban count? I've enjoyed Charlotte's music for quite a while now, and I'm just beginning to listen to and enjoy Josh's stuff.

Richard - I have had my eye on the history of human language but haven't gotten it. That is cool that you did the 32 beeth piano sonatas - that really opened my eyes.
    Non musical courses I did: US History, Modern European History, Great Ideas in Philosophy , buddhism (not good), greek tragedies, homer iliad, virgil aeniad. I studied science and pre med in college and missed out on a real education, so I am trying to get a liberal arts education now that I am 'down' with SCI.
    We should make this a separate thread to talk more and possibly get others to get 'hooked' on Teach12. I think a lot of folks here would dig it. Beats watching sitcoms !

As a child, I recall my mom listening to classical music. It many times soothes my soul/spirit and takes me back to that time. I recall one time when we went to a city on the other side of the border in Mexico. We were passing a plaza and there were a lot people gathered. Apparently something was being awaited on. Sure enough, I saw a dark limo arrive and then a most amazing looking man came out of it. As the door opened, they began to play Ravel's Bolero. Wow! I was hypnotized by the music and what took place then. They had a sort of glass room close to the kiosk. He was to be locked into that room and stay for certain number of days without eating, drinking or getting out of there. I can't recall the number of days since I was a little child. It all impressed me so much that I have written a poem about it. Everytime I hear Bolero, my mind goes back to that day. Going back in time now as I listen to this again.

Btw, later on I heard my mom saying that he would do this throughout many other cities in Mexico. Also she said that he later died after one of them. I guess it was too much to ask from his body.

Raven
    Last edited by Raven; 12-29-2008 at 03:50 PM.

Raven, that reminds me of Franz Kafka's short story "The Hunger Artist," but that was supposed to be bizarre fiction!
    - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf View Post
    Raven, that reminds me of Franz Kafka's short story "The Hunger Artist," but that was supposed to be bizarre fiction!
    - Richard
    Incredible eh? I never read that story, I'm sorry to say Richard. Now I want to read it though. This though was a true event. It impressed me so much that I can still remember the man's name. I think he was of Indian descent. His name was Faquier Saroq or something that sounds like that. He was a very impressive looking man. As I said, I never forgot him, the music and my feelings for it all.

Raven

Edited to add: This gentleman had a box where people would drop money for him, i saw some people put coins on that occasion. I think he did this to support himself. Sad that it ended this way.
    Last edited by Raven; 12-29-2008 at 04:24 PM.

Raven -

What an image Bolero conjures for you! Isn't it amazing how just a few notes of a melody can bring back such vivid memories? Just like a smell can sometimes bring you back in an instant to your mother baking your favorite desert in the kitchen during childhood.....

If you appreciate Bolero, and quirky things, then one day you should rent the unusual movie Allegro non Troppo - an Italian movie (from the ?70's). When I hear Bolero, I immediately return to this movie. It is an Italian "Fantasia", of sorts. You begin observing a somewhat dysfunctional Italian orchestra, warming up before a rehearsal. Seated beside them is a gentleman with a large pad of paper. Finally, when they all quiet down, the music starts and the cartoonist begins to draw. What follows are a series of classical pieces - all wonderful - and the "cartoons" that spring from the music. "Bolero" begins with the primordial soup and shows the birth of life and evolution of man over time........

I must rent that movie again.

Richard - my father is also a huge fan of those courses, although he has focused on the sciences (biology/biology of human behavior/human biology - how we heal), statistics and a few scattered history ones.

Arndog -

Beethoven, Opus 132.

sigh.....

The 3rd movement is one of the greatest movements in all of chamber music and is the heart of Opus 132. What a lovely old recording you found. My string quartet was taught the piece by my Hungarian violin teacher, so the Budapest String Quartet's interpretation was familiar in some ways!

But no - you cannot use the slow movement for your funeral, because it represents the essence of recovery/hope/life! It is the perfect music to listen to during a tumultuous time, so I am happy you found it. Beethoven himself gave it a special title, which roughly translated is "a hymn of thanksgiving from a convalescent" to God..... He is thankful because while composing Op. 132 when became quite ill and there was a thought he might die. This turmoil is represented in the 1st movement. And as he recovered, then came the 3rd movement..... surviving, giving thanks, feeling new strength. A simplistic interpretation, but lovely nonetheless.

I have been partial to the Cavatina from Op. 130 for my funeral, I must admit.

Glenn Gould's recordings of the Goldberg variations are stunningly different, and both spectacular. When I listen to his early breakthrough recording, I am awed by his technique and perfection. When I listen to his later performance, I am hit with a brick in the first measure, as we stagger so slowly through the theme. Can it work? Yes.... and it is a wonderful torture. He was a tortured genius, wasn't he.

I hope you can enjoy more concerts at the chamber music festival. It sounds wonderful, and you saw a great assortment of pieces last night. Yes, I know the Ravel piano trio well, having performed it many years ago, as well as the Brahms piano quartet in A major. However, my favorite Brahms is the piano quartet in g minor. Perhaps I will go listen to it now...