Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Classical Music Fans/musicians?

Any Classical Music Fans/musicians?

I mostly listen to Classical, from Bach to Bartok.
    Play classical guitar ( I know Dale does too). But really trying to listen to chamber music rather than symphonic stuff. Anybody else out there with this affliction?
    Jon

Thou art not the only soul similarly afflicted.

*Don't mind me. The cabin and nature tend to do this to me.

Alright, LMChose.
    Here are a few pieces that make living worth while:
    all 16 Beethoven string quartets but especially the late ones.
    Goldman Piano Variations, Bach
    Samuel Barber - violin concerto
    Brahms - basically everything he has ever published and did not burn.
    Bartok - 6 string quartets
    Shostakovich - both violin concertos, cello concerto and let's throw in his 2 piano concertos
    When I was struggling with neuropathic pain and the meds could only do so much, these pieces helped me get through it all.
    Last edited by arndog; 12-28-2008 at 08:06 PM.

2 of my favorites that you didn't mention are Handel's Water Music and Vivaldi's Four Seasons. I swear John Williams got the Jaws theme from one of the movements.

Natalie A - if you like Vivaldi's 4 seasons, check out Vivaldi's 'guitar concerto' somehow. There is a classical guitarist with the name of John Williams (a different guy than the composer you mentioned) and he has an amazing version of Vivaldi's guitar concerto. It is pretty joyous.

Oh, I forgot one thing. Youtube is great for listening to (free) classical music. I just did a search on youtube of vivaldi guitar concerto and you can watch and listen to it.

Thanks I'll check it out I love guitar. From classical to SRV to Alexi Laiho. Not that many would know him. LOL

Claire de Lune & Moonlight Sonata! I love piano pieces.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Lynnifer ! - Debussy's Claire de Lune is too good for this earth. There is a lot of Debussy's piano music that is up to that quality. His 'Images' and book of Preludes. Really can't go wrong there.
    The Moonlight Sonata - okay, now you have to treat yourself to Big Beethoven's other 31 piano sonatas. While I was recovering from this last spine surgery this spring and I was in bed a lot, I did an internet, ipod lecture series on Beethoven's 32 piano sonatas - the group of them span his whole career and are a window into his creativity, the piano was his music laboratory.

Pachelbel's Canon. It's my absolute fave.

I once had a CD with nothing, but variations of it. That CD certainly got a workout. I would study by it as it seemed to provide an atmosphere conducive to preparation and thinking.