Thread: Our unconscious brain makes the best decisions possible

Our unconscious brain makes the best decisions possible

http://science24x7.com/2008/12/25/ou...ions-possible/

Our unconscious brain makes the best decisions possible

Researchers at the University of Rochester have shown that the human brain—once thought to be a seriously flawed decision maker—is actually hard-wired to allow us to make the best decisions possible with the information we are given. The findings are published in today’s issue of the journal Neuron.
    Neuroscientists Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky received a [...]

DR. YOUNG
    WHEN YOU SAY "BEST DECISIONS" WHO ARE THESE DECISIONS BEST FOR. ARE THEY BEST FOR US INDIVIDUALLY OR BEST FOR THE PEOPLE AROUND US. ALSO, HOW DO YOU GAUGE WHETHER ONE DECISION IS BETTER THAN ANOTHER? I DON'T KNOW IF YOU CAN CALL IT HAPPENSTANCE BUT I HAVE SEEN SO MANY INSTANCES IN LIFE WHERE DECISIONS MADE BY PEOPLE, MYSELF INCLUDED, THAT SEEMED TO BE THE BEST POSSIBLE DECISION AT THAT MOMENT, BUT IN THE LONG RUN ENDED UP BEING THE WORST DECISION THAT COULD HAVE BEEN MADE. ON THE FLIP SIDE, I'VE SEEN DECISIONS MADE THAT APPEARED TO BE THE WORST POSSIBLE DECISION THAT COULD HAVE BEEN MADE AT THAT TIME, BUT IN HINDSIGHT TURNED OUT TO BE THE BEST DECISION THAT COULD HAVE BEEN MADE. DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE? I SAY THIS TO SAY HOW DO THEY ASCERTAIN WHICH DECISIONS ARE THE BEST AND WORST DECISION IN ANY GIVEN SCENARIO, AND DO THEY TAKE INTO EFFECT THE LONG TERM RAMIFICATIONS OF SUCH DECISIONS. THANK YOU DR. WISE FOR EVERYTHING YOU'VE DONE AND CONTINUE TO DO FOR SCIs. YOU ARE A BEACON OF LIGHT.