Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 66

Thread: Wheelchairs and Snow How Do You Do It?

  1. #51
    I don't know how others do it but I am stuck and have to have someone take me places. I drive myself but if my chair hits snow I am done. So now that it started snowing I can't go by myself. You never know if a store is plowed or not. I have recently had to deal with my place of employment re this issue..I like the idea share about using bungi cords. Can't wait to try them. How did you do it?

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southwest, USA
    Posts
    251
    When I lived in NY, it was a pain in the neck getting around in the snow. If you have a manual chair, I would recommend thicker wheels for the winter. I had thin wheels (spinergy wheels, I believe) and it was hard to push through the snow.

  3. #53
    Senior Member StevieP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Winter Park / Fraser, CO
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by inez View Post
    I don't know how others do it but I am stuck and have to have someone take me places. I drive myself but if my chair hits snow I am done. So now that it started snowing I can't go by myself. You never know if a store is plowed or not. I have recently had to deal with my place of employment re this issue..I like the idea share about using bungi cords. Can't wait to try them. How did you do it?
    Whats your injury level Inez? That can really make a huge difference? What kind of equipment do you use to get around? Where do you live?

    I live in a ski town and for the most part I don't have much trouble.

    Stevie P

  4. #54
    I have surgical tubing wrapped around my rims, works ok until it gets packed with snow. Got an old plow truck about 10 years ago to clean out the driveway and at least can get the mail. Why do we live here, it makes for great hunting, other than that it's just plain crazy I guess.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

    All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

    Why be politically correct when you can be right!

  5. #55
    Senior Member StevieP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Winter Park / Fraser, CO
    Posts
    469
    I don't know why you live in MN? I live in the mountains of Colorado and I love the view, the air, the people, I better stop or I never will, but I love the summers the best.

    Stevie P

  6. #56
    I stay inside until the snow is gone. I don't have my new license yet and no winter wheels on the car either, so it is forbidden to use the car. It is no snow yet, happily.
    I can't change the wheels myself on the Van and I am not allowed to drive it anyplace either.
    TH 12, 43 years post

  7. #57
    Senior Member StevieP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Winter Park / Fraser, CO
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    I stay inside until the snow is gone. I don't have my new license yet and no winter wheels on the car either, so it is forbidden to use the car. It is no snow yet, happily.
    I can't change the wheels myself on the Van and I am not allowed to drive it anyplace either.
    I have had my snow tires on for a month already, we had 2 inches last night and they are predicting like 22 inches by tomorrow morning.

  8. #58
    Senior Member justadildo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    rocky mountain high
    Posts
    1,396
    i spent the last two winters in Steamboat (not this) and was only stuck inside if it was stormin or i decided to be in....i had my van if weather was nice and paratransit when is was snowing....i rarely used van, and Routt/SST Pratransit has to be best i've ever used

    when bad ice, i stud my pc tires with 3/4" hex screws..they dont tear up tires and aren't too hgard on floors...easy to put in or remove

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieP View Post
    I don't know why you live in MN? I live in the mountains of Colorado and I love the view, the air, the people, I better stop or I never will, but I love the summers the best.

    Stevie P
    Didn't say I like the winters, its where I was born and raised. Would love to have warmer weather year around.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

    All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

    Why be politically correct when you can be right!

  10. #60
    Senior Member Quimby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    116
    I HATE the snow! *makes 'mean' face*

    It snowed Sunday night and I did not go to work Monday or today. I live in a rural area and have to drive 5 miles into 'town' to work. I will NOT risk sliding off the road and being unable to get out to save myself for any job. To drive in the snow makes me fearful and very anxious.
    Did I mention I hate the snow?!

Similar Threads

  1. Snow and Manual Wheelchairs
    By Craig T in forum Life
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-26-2010, 10:17 AM
  2. I Need Snow
    By peapod in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 06:19 PM
  3. 4 x 4 all terrain power wheelchairs
    By Mary9 in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 12:48 AM
  4. rain, snow and wheelchairs
    By shelnj18 in forum Life
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-04-2005, 06:24 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2001, 11:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •