Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Wheelchairs and Snow How Do You Do It?

I am going to visit my dad in Northern Idaho for Christmas and will (most) likely face snow for the first time in my chair. What types of things do I need to do to prepare myself for this? I plan on changing my tires from the slick 1" tires to the 1 3/8" tires that came with my chair. Will these be wide enough and have enough grip to get through small amounts of snow that I would encounter in parking lots, etc? Should I change my casters from my Frog Legs soft rolls to the roller blade wheels I used to run to keep the soft rolls lasting longer? When I get back to So. Cal, what is the best way to rid my chair of salt that would corrode the chair?
    Any other advice for me?
    Thanks
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

I find these tires better than the one that I usually run. But if you just expect to deal with parking lots and sidewalks, you might do ol with the 1 3/8ths.

You will want to be sure you have side guards and some good gloves too. Cold slushy hands aren;t fun. Look for something that is waterproof, but still allows you to grip if you can. Otherwise be sure you have more than one pair.

But for the most part .... I stay inside when I can. (We had 6 inches last night, and while it is pretty, I am not ready for it yet!)

If you aren;t used to the cold, be aware that it can make a big difference for you as well.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=127764
    Last edited by sjean423; 12-09-2009 at 03:23 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I just shoveled my ramp, which is a long ramp. I'm in Iowa, and we had a blizzard pass through yesterday and last night, into this morning. It's pretty much stopped snowing, but it's still blowing. The drifts in my driveway are up to 4 feet high...they were only 2 feet high on my ramp, lucky me. Might have to call in the big guns and have someone with a plow on their pickup do my driveway. I've been doing it thus far, but only up to 6 inches or so. Don't know how long it'd take me to shovel 4 feet of snow from my driveway, and I don't think I'm itching to find out.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CurvySAT05 View Post
    I am going to visit my dad in Northern Idaho for Christmas and will (most) likely face snow for the first time in my chair. What types of things do I need to do to prepare myself for this? I plan on changing my tires from the slick 1" tires to the 1 3/8" tires that came with my chair. Will these be wide enough and have enough grip to get through small amounts of snow that I would encounter in parking lots, etc? Should I change my casters from my Frog Legs soft rolls to the roller blade wheels I used to run to keep the soft rolls lasting longer? When I get back to So. Cal, what is the best way to rid my chair of salt that would corrode the chair?
    Any other advice for me?
    Thanks
    WD-40 to force the salty moisture out of joints then roll it into the shower. Spray the lower third of the chair like mad. Then more WD-40.

WD-40 kept my old Everest and Jennings dive chair going for years.

wheelchair snowplow guy

This has been the most testing I have done with my snowplow attachment but I kid you not none of the deep snow has stopped me.The more I test this plow attachment the more I love it.Once I get this product on the market there is going to be some happy snow plowing wheelchair traveling handy capable stop me nots out there!

Banned

live in Minnesnowda also

am caregier to 85 pound grandaughter. She has SB and is pre-dialysis/transplant. They want her to go to an electric w/c but am afraid we will gt stuck in show. i like the big wheels you have and wonder if I can get them on a ped size chair. Until her bones got too bad she was in sled hockey. No idea how to follow rules but as only girl in group, she had fun knocking boys over and speeding
    she is adamant abut not starting.high school in an electric chair as they are for handicapped people and she is a "wheeler". Teen logic?