Thread: Success story

Success story

Okay, this is second hand, but I have a great success story for ya'll (I live in NC now folks). My youngest daughter played on the varsity tennis team. She had a coach who was interning for school, getting her degree in physical education. She had been playing college soccer and was an Olympic hopeful when she got hit from behind on the soccer field, breaking her back. She was a para, had no return for four months, zilch. It was four years later when I met her, and I had no idea there was anything wrong with her. The only reason the subject came up was because she approached me, being able to tell there was something wrong with me (am a walking quad), and I have an excellent eye for "gimps" between being in the medical profession, training horses pre-SCI and dealing with their often subtle gimpy issues that would translate into training problems, etc. I had watched her play tennis with the kids a couple weeks before she told me about the accident and had talked with her then. She had told me she had never played tennis until a couple of months previously, and I had marvelled at how she was already what one would consider a solid recreational player. I thought it most unfair that she could accomplish in two months the same level of skill that had taken me several years to accomplish, having grown up spending my days at the tennis courts and taking weekly lessons (from Chris Evert's dad, no less, unfortunately never even close to being as talented as she was, sigh).

Anyhows, she did say she was not 100%, in that she would never be able to play soccer at a professional level as she once did. She had lost the quickness, the sharp edge that was required. But otherwise, she had enough recovery to be able to fully participate in all sports at a reasonable amateur level. From what I could tell, she was still a natural athlete. Over the years, I have watched a lot of people try to pick up tennis and I had never seen anybody who could play as well as she did after only two months. And she was an incomplete para. She is one person I will never forget. She will always remind me of how unpredictable recovery can be and what might be possible.

We all know how amazingly lucky/blessed she is to have had the recovery she's had. But for newly injured (incomplete) people, I would think that is encouraging to know (what might be possible).

Good story. You write well, but I'm a little confused as to how it is second hand if you met her four years later. You're saying it's second hand because it wasn't your recovery?

My confusion aside, it's still an impressive recovery story after she had no returns for four months. Do you know if, after four months, her returns came relatively quickly, or were they gradual over months or perhaps years?

Just curious, thanks in advance if you reply.

- Bill :-)
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Sorry for the confusion, Bill. You are right, I used the term "second-hand" because it didn't happen to me personally. And unfortunately, while I want to say that most of her recovery was in terms of months, I didn't mention it in my story because I don't recall well enough to be able to say with great confidence. In any case, I met her four years post-injury, so the timetable could not have been too terribly long.

Hope ...... where there is breathe there is hope!!!! What a great story dunwawry !

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I like stories like that. I like to know I am not the only, lucky one. LOL, maybe not so lucky anymore, but still I feel lucky.
    TH 12, 43 years post

wow!!! what a great story. we need more stories like this to keep our hopes alive.Like Dr. Yonug keeps saying that recovery is the norm and not the exception. Any more stories like these out there ?

Lakboy, hopefully working on one now. July '07 diagnose complete C6/7 ASIA A. Now walking. One crutch since Sept '08, 'bout ready to drop it. Not so pretty though, one can only hope. Don't wanna seem like I'm braggin'. You did ask. I hope the same for all of you as well.

IMC,
    You aren't working on a success story, you already are one! You've earned those bragging rights, so please don't apologize. May your recovery continue and that forearm crutch soon be a distant memory!