Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Here

BTW, welcome. I have found out a lot of info here

Thank you! I have already learned so much here and it is a privilege to meet people who deal with these issues so courageously and helpfully.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 12-26-2008 at 06:48 PM.

Welcome Bonnette!

Welcome Bonnette,

I'm in that "maybe/possibly" MS category, but I also have an SCI. Just wanted to welcome you!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Quote Originally Posted by Danine View Post
    Welcome Bonnette,

I'm in that "maybe/possibly" MS category, but I also have an SCI.
    Thanks, Mona and Danine!

That "maybe/possibly" category is hard to live with. By the time my neuro had finally concluded that MS was the most likely cause of my worst symptoms, I was psychologically ready for closure - but when other factors enter in, the picture can remain confusing. It's rough.

Welcome Bonette. RSD from a ganglion cyst? Yikes! I had one on my strong arm wrist below the inside of the thumb. It was stuck in between an artery and a major nerve. The two hand surgeons at Walter Reed both agreed that fear of infection might cost me the nerve and use of my hand if they did an open excision. Finally did a needle aspiration because of the pain. Amazingly it went really well and haven't had a problem since. How are they treating your RSD pain and have you decided how you'll treat your MS?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Hi Sue. The surgeon told me that the cyst would only fill up again if it was drained, and he warned me that if I didn't have it removed I would suffer damage to the ulnar nerve, which the cyst was compressing. (I later learned from another doctor that this wasn't so.) Ironically, I sustained damage to the ulnar nerve from the surgery itself, beginning with an inexperienced anesthesiologist who fumbled an axillary block; then the surgeon left the tourniquet on too long, causing further trouble. An EMG years later showed damage along the entire length of the nerve. The back of my left hand and ring and little fingers are numb and the hand is clawed. This happened in 1994, and the pain and temperature changes can be intense - my outer forearm, wrist and hand get very cold, like blocks of ice and it helps to wrap them in an Elasto-Gel bandage heated in the microwave. I have something similar to a TENS unit for pain, but mostly I've just learned to live with it.

It's really wonderful that your cyst was drained successfully and that you've had no further problems from it. Those hand surgeons at Walter Reed were spot-on with their advice, what a blessing!

For MS, I am in the secondary progressive phase and am handling it with an anti-inflammatory diet known in England as the Best-Bet diet, and in Canada as the MS-Direct diet. I began having symptoms in 1998, but with MS it's hard to put two and two together for a long time and things were pretty far along by the time I saw a neurologist. There is so much going on in my spine and cord that the neuro joked that she would be able to give me a comprehensive diagnosis at autopsy, how's that for a bedside manner! Fortunately, I don't get offended by that kind of humor.

Welcome, late getting here actually spent a Christmas sick as a dog. hope yours was good. Enjoy the room.

Hi fishin'guy, sorry you were sick for Christmas, what a way to spend a holiday! Thanks for the welcome, and hope you feel lots better in time for New Years.

I've heard great things of the MS-Direct diet. Hope you see a holding pattern soon on it.

I was told the cyst might refill but concensus was that as long as my husband, who knows my spaze triggers, held me several drains were less likely to create infectious conditions than the surgery. Now if I spazed at the wrong moment my nerve, at least in the hand, would be like yours. I did have like 9 different cuts viewed and filmed by MRI before they coughed up opinions. But yea, I have seen a lot of docs at Walter Reed and only one that I wouldn't rcommend 100%. The stories over out buildings had nothing to do with the medical staff.

I hear ya on gallow's humor. Much worse is the 'no opinion' docs. Like why are we paying them if not for their opinions?

Bummer Fishin' Guy. Feeling better now?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.