Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: What do you live in?? apartment/house/condo & with whom?

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    dumb question, but why only bed baths that cant be very clean
    In 23 years of quadness, I've only been in a tub maybe six times. With the vent, it's usually quite a hassle to try a tub, but I would like one that's accessible someday.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

dumb question, but why only bed baths that cant be very clean
    I only get bed baths as well, sometimes we do what we must. I live at home with my mom, it's not ideal but it works. For a few years I was married and we had a 1st floor apt., no roll in shower there either.
    Dave
    C5/C6 complete
    http://www.davegrotzinger.com
    http://www.daves-webdesign.com

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me guaranteed..." - Eddie Vedder

C6/7. New home that I bought about 6mos post, 12/00. Originally it was my wife and I plus three dogs. Then I kicked her out and kept the dogs . Lived alone albeit with the temporary girlfriends for about 2yrs. Currently live with my gf. We're at the base of the mntns in SW Denver, about 15 mi from downtown. The house is ranch style with a finished basement. I did a ton of custom work on it the first couple of years, master bathroom re-model, hardwood floors throughout (basement as well), hot-tub, deck, elevator, etc. The basic most necessary mods were the master bath - tore out tub, widen doorways, put in roll-in shower plus tile. Another biggie was getting rid of wall-to-wall carpet. My chair made it filthy with tire tracks, etc. Also added french doors (wide) off the master bedroom and took out the sliding glass door out to the deck for access. No ramps visible to any neighbors but a ramp in the garage and on side of house. Grass, trees, sprinklers, deck, dogs, etc., lots of work! House = lots of maintenance.

Bottom line. I love my house, big, beautiful, accessible, custom, close to everything including Craig hospital. I'm getting a little tired of the maintenance though which is perpetual. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go condo in the mountains. I would truly miss the space but not the headaches. If you do decide to buy a house there are three critical things: 1. Access (in/out). 2. Bathroom. 3. Kitchen. Everything else can be adjusted / modified. Good luck with whatever you decide

inc c4/5. we live in a condo, although they look like single family homes. i built it, lived alone for a year then my gf now wife moved in. if u can building is best and most inexpensive way to go accesibility wise. i needed very little done all doorways 36, roll in shower, handicapped height toilet and grab bars, shut off valves w/in reach, breaker box lower, outlets a bit higher, kitch counter a bit lower w/ nooks on each end for cutting etc, and ramp in garage. thats it........much easier to build acces rather than retro it, and hell of alot cheaper
    I agree.

My house is 3 years old bought it used lady only lived in it for 6 months, and I really lucked out that it was completely wheelchair accessible already with roll in shower. The only thing that isn't accessible is my basement, but I'll eventually get a lift for that. It's perfect 3 bedroom, 2 bath so big enough if I want to start a family.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    I agree.

My house is 3 years old bought it used lady only lived in it for 6 months, and I really lucked out that it was completely wheelchair accessible already with roll in shower. The only thing that isn't accessible is my basement, but I'll eventually get a lift for that. It's perfect 3 bedroom, 2 bath so big enough if I want to start a family.
    Sounds perfect and you did luck out a bit. Some one else doing a lot of the work. And how did you mange to get a house so young, that's awesome, bravo. I was paying rent through the roof before I had to move back home. Real Estate here is crazy.

Housing

Currently live in a 2400 square foot home that has undergone a few modification to meet my needs. However, my wife and I are getting old and cannot maintain the home and property ourselves. We are seriously considering a townhouse constructed with accessibility to all rooms, including bathrooms.

The community we are contemplating provides all outside maintenance and insurance for exterior. There is a club house with a workout room, meeting room, and outdoor pool. It's still a buyer's market for homes, but we must sell our present place to make a buy, alas.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie_A View Post
    Sounds perfect and you did luck out a bit. Some one else doing a lot of the work. And how did you mange to get a house so young, that's awesome, bravo. I was paying rent through the roof before I had to move back home. Real Estate here is crazy.
    I wasn't really planning on moving out when I did, but I couldn't pass up the house. The lady that lived here was a double amputee & right when the house was done being built her husband died & her family tried letting her live here on her own, but she went down hill health wise after her husband. I basically stole the house. The family just needed to get out of it for the state to pay for the nursing home or something?! It was something like they weren't looking to make money on it, cuz it was all going to be going to the state anyways so they just wanted to get rid of it. It's a very nice home with a fenced in yard for my pooch & was all professionally landscaped before I got it! I've added some of my touches to the place, but I still came out ahead!
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

A shithole, but I'm out on my nonexistent ass in six weeks so who knows?
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Recently moved back to a townhouse complex with the accessible units that I helped design 25 years ago. Moved away 23 years ago but always remembered the great accessibility, backyard, and neighbours. It is nice having my own front door again, and not depending on elevators. The first tenants wanted a tub, so the wheel in shower needs to be redone properly. Converting from tub to wheel in shower is not as easy to do in a condo, unless you get in early pre-build.
    Rebuilt the patio last summer and tiled it with the wooden IKEA tiles so that the transition through the patio doors is level. This summer I'm building an outdoor kitchen in my backyard, and finishing my propane fire pit. CC party on August 5.
    C4-5 living alone (but contemplating moving in with gurly2356 )

living with my roommates (parents ) because it's cheaper while i'm in school. our house is split level, but the main level was originally pretty spacious w/ hardwood floors. we added a stair lift for me to get upstairs to my bedroom and had a roll in shower put in my bathroom. my laundry room isnt accessible which is my only annoyance but everything else is liveable.
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson