Thread: Computer Crash

Computer Crash

I have been using computers for years and this is really unusual. I received a microsoft windows update this morning and started the installation process. When it rebooted. instead of going back to windows, it requested that I insert my Windows CD and it proceeded to resinstall windows and it the process deleted many of my applications files and other settings. Has this happened to anyone else?
    mike

No, never even heard of this happening before. What was the message(s) when it asked for the CD?
    Please visit my blog at Said Khorramshahgol

It did not go that far this morning but after an update it did disable my voice recognition and that had to be repaired before I could use it. That happens every so often with the updates but I am no help as to what causes it.

The message I received was a standard Windows message you get when Windows cannot access the software. Basically the message states, "please insert your Windows CD to finish the installation". I doubt that the message was the problem. I think the announcement of the Windows Update might have been the problem. It would not surprise me if the icon for the security update might be sent by a hacker and that releases a virus that destroys the operating system. Fortunately I backed up the entire drive and I was able to reinstall my data. In any case it is something to be wary of.
    mike

This sounds so much like a hacker virus attack, and it would be almost easy to jump to that conclusion, but it's entirely impossible to say what it is with 100% certainty. Anyways, good that you have a backup!
    Please visit my blog at Said Khorramshahgol

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    It would not surprise me if the icon for the security update might be sent by a hacker and that releases a virus that destroys the operating system.
    The virus authors today are not really out to destroy your operating system. They want to turn your computer into a zombie machine (without you knowing) to become part of their botnet. I'm not really sure what happened with your Windows machine and this Microsoft update. I have heard of some problems when updating to Windows XP SP3.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

After restoring my C drive, I reinstalled the Microsoft update and it went well.
    mike

What version of Windows do you have?
    T6 complete

I have windows xp professional.
    mike

I think you still have the previous application on your hdd...see in Program Files....

Tell us if you have them there, and maybe a good option is to try a system restore.
    This signature left intentionally blank.