Thread: How did I Miss This??

Unhappy How did I Miss This??

Although I am still dressing 2 of Bill's pressure sores from last year they are progressing and healing well .... the tunnels are almost gone. We bought the low air loss mattress and I thought our skin issues were behind us ! However .... he scraped his butt over an area where he had a flap done a couple of years ago ... I was concerned but not really worried .... I was keeping it clean and covered ...... I know what to do .... so I thought ....

Today I started to re-dress everything and I noticed the new scrape had some slough within the centre of the wound so I pulled it out .... and out .. and low and behold there's a friggin' tunnel about a half inch in depth.... I felt like I had stepped on rotten floor boards and sunk up to my knees ..... I can't believe it .... how did it break down that fast??? He hasn't been feeling so great the last couple of weeks so he hasn't been eating well .. but he was eating something. I feel bad because I should have noticed it was getting worse ...... I was using vinegar and water to wash the wound and I didn't notice any smell .... I know THAT smell ....

... how did I miss this ...

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Oh dear...don't blame yourself Obieone...I'm sorry to hear this and am sending healing prayers.

Vinegar (like 1% & water) can work against pseudomonas (that fruity smell of infection) ... it appears as greenish on dressings ... is that what you're talking about?

If he had a flap done, the scar tissue is double-prone to breaking down. I worry about the amount of paras/quads that are going to lack proper skin on their behinds in the future ... Juke spoke recently of having terribly prone skin as well.

The nurses don't recommend it, but I used betadine soaked gauze ... 'lightly' placed on the wound (notice I didn't say packed .. but I meant something like it). Betadine seems to kill everything ... BUT it can damage the good skin so a barrier spray like 3M would be needed. I know nothing medical nor am I trained ... but this is just what worked for me.

If he isn't eating much - I hope he's taking some supplements. Zinc, Iron & a multi-vitamin are a must! I had luck with horse chestnut too (can't hurt). And of course he needs to stay off it.

I feel bad for you Obie .. Bill needs to take more responsibility for himself so it doesn't steal your emotional strength every time something goes wrong (I know easy for me to say!) Did he scrape it on a tire while transferring with skin exposed? An easy way to avoid that in the future is to cover the tire with a shirt or towel or sheet, etc.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Vinegar (like 1% & water) can work against pseudomonas (that fruity smell of infection) ... it appears as greenish on dressings ... is that what you're talking about?

Yes it's exactly what I'm talking about! Lots of drainage but doesn't smell bad. I use a syringe to flush it clean ....

If he had a flap done, the scar tissue is double-prone to breaking down. I worry about the amount of paras/quads that are going to lack proper skin on their behinds in the future ... Juke spoke recently of having terribly prone skin as well.

I know it ....

The nurses don't recommend it, but I used betadine soaked gauze ... 'lightly' placed on the wound (notice I didn't say packed .. but I meant something like it). Betadine seems to kill everything ... BUT it can damage the good skin so a barrier spray like 3M would be needed. I know nothing medical nor am I trained ... but this is just what worked for me.

If he isn't eating much - I hope he's taking some supplements. Zinc, Iron & a multi-vitamin are a must! I had luck with horse chestnut too (can't hurt). And of course he needs to stay off it.

I know it ....

I feel bad for you Obie .. Bill needs to take more responsibility for himself so it doesn't steal your emotional strength every time something goes wrong (I know easy for me to say!) Did he scrape it on a tire while transferring with skin exposed? An easy way to avoid that in the future is to cover the tire with a shirt or towel or sheet, etc.

Yes ... on his tire transfering getting into the car ..... he doesn't have the stength to transfer he used to ....

Thanks .... after 10 years its wearing me down ... responsibility has always been an issue with him and I ...... he hasn't taken a good look at his behind in a mighty long time ...... if he wasn't the father of my kids I'd get tougher with him .... it's always been my weakness .... but for now I'm going to try the betadine solution .. thanks ...

I hate feeling so sad at xmas time .... again ...

Obie
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Oh Obie...I am so sorry you're havin' to go through this again...during the first weeks of my son being in the hospital, he developed one on his bottom and the wound nurse had him drink a product called Arginade, for the extra protein...maybe the nurse can explain it? It comes in lots of fruit flavors and he had it twice a day while it healed . Good to hear bill's sleeping on an airloss mattress...Obie, sending hugs and prayers and stop beating yourself up, you hear! judy

Oh Obie........I'm sorry. Not your fault. Sending love, love, love and hugs your way.

Shelley