Thread: Question about SSI income

Question about SSI income

I Live in NYC, and wanted to know what is the amount of income recieved for a person like myself who lives on his own. i was recieving $660 but as you all know they raised the amount of income. So now i will be recieving $694 i believed. wanted to know if that is in the normal range for someone who lives on his own.

yes thats about it.

Is a person able to get SSI if they received a settlement??
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

New York is one of a few states that gives an additonal supplement to Federal Benefit rate for SSI. So, SSI check includes Fedreal Benefit and state supplement.

paragraph 4, "What is SSI?"
    "The state of New York adds money to the federal payment. The single payment you get in the beginning of each month includes both the federal SSI payment and your supplement from New York."

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/11146.html

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

Question Is a person able to get SSI if they received a settlement?

"Question about SSI income"

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    Mostly all settlements (for a Personal Injury Case) would place SSI out of reach for an Individual (exterior of a Special Needs Trust).

If you receive a settlement for your injury and does stop SSI then SSDI could replace your SSI if you have enough work credits. Some times if you do not have enough work history you can draw on your parent's in certain cases.

In short SSI is welfare (Tax payer funded) and SSDI is Title II (FICA earned) benefits.

SSI= Supplemental Security Income
    SSDI= Social Security Disability Insurance

Even The Social Security Administration gets the Definitions; Mixedup, Confused, and Ambiguous.

Wait until you get involved with Advocacy Groups, you might witness first hand the under belly of "Disability".

Quote Originally Posted by ColonusFan View Post
    "Question about SSI income"

Mostly all settlements (for a Personal Injury Case) would place SSI out of reach for an Individual (exterior of a Special Needs Trust).

If you receive a settlement for your injury and does stop SSI then SSDI could replace your SSI if you have enough work credits. Some times if you do not have enough work history you can draw on your parent's in certain cases.

In short SSI is welfare (Tax payer funded) and SSDI is Title II (FICA earned) benefits.

SSI= Supplemental Security Income
    SSDI= Social Security Disability Insurance

Even The Social Security Administration gets the Definitions; Mixedup, Confused, and Ambiguous.

Wait until you get involved with Advocacy Groups, you might witness first hand the under belly of "Disability".
    i believe your info is incorrect. a settlement would likely nullify SSI but have no impact on SSDI. SSDI is based on work history, not affected by any settlement or loss, thereof, of SSI.

if one qualifies for SSDI in the first place, SSI is not in the picture. where do you get the idea SSDI will kick in if a settlement is obtained?? either you qualified for SSDI at the time of injury or you went back to work after and yrs later earned the credits.
    Last edited by cass; 12-24-2008 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    Probably not until you spent the settlement gurly. I think SSI has an asset limit of just $2,000...and if you have one you can keep your vehicle. I believe that's how it works, based on people I've known on SSI. You may be able to create a trust that can work within their rules, I'm not sure.

SSDI is different, based on how many quarters you've been employed, and how much you payed in. There is no asset limit that I know of, and I'd imagine you can be a millionaire and still collect SSDI if you qualify as disabled.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!