Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Condom cath problem. Considering indwelling cath

Condom cath problem. Considering indwelling cath

Hi,
    I am C5/6 complete for 12 years. I have used a condom cath with J&J elastic tape for more than 11 years without many problems.
    Recently, I moved to San Mateo, CA from UT. Here, I feel much humidity compare to UT and my condom cath is leaking very often. I noticed that the elastic tape is not as sticky as it used to be. I am not sure J&J changed how they make the tape, or the humidity changed the stickiness of the tape.

So, I am seriously considering an indwelling cath although I don't prefer it. Do you guys have any input about my condom cath problem, suggestion for the indwelling cath, and so on?

Thank you for any feedback.

Have you tried glue in place of tape?

I find the condom + glue + skin prep. wipe is the most secure combination although the ready glued condoms seem to be much better than they were.

This is a UK site but the information sheets and FAQs are very usefull......

www.manfredsauer.co.uk

What kind of glue are you talking about? Is it medical glue for skin?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JK View Post
    What kind of glue are you talking about? Is it medical glue for skin?
    Thanks.
    Yes, if you google the web site of your condom manufacturer I'm sure they will offer their own brand glue.

Here's the Manfred Sauer offerings.........

http://www.manfredsauer.co.uk/adhesives.asp
    Last edited by Timaru; 12-20-2008 at 03:20 PM. Reason: spelling

I know humidity since I live near Houston.Try the skin prep with catheters that have the adhesive on the inside. Ymake sure it is dry when applying then you have to hold it for a minute to activate with the heat of your hand. To see which works best contact the companies-Bard,Hoiser ec & get them to send you some free samples. They all have websites you can email or all.
    WO

CWO

Try the rochester wide-band. It is the best I've ever worn, by far. The only time the adhesive starts to lose its stickiness is when I have a UTI. And even then its just around the top.

Dave
    Dave

Thank you all.
    I went to a local medical supplies shop and bought a medical adhesive made by Holister. I will try it tomorrow morning and I really hope it works for me.
    The shop had a skip prep too, but I didn't feel it is sticky enough on my arm, so I bought the adhesive. $33. Oowaa... so expensive. I will order it on a web next time if this one works.
    I will also try skin-prep later. I will find rochester wide band from edgepark.com which has a contract with my insurance company.

JK, you wipe your penis with the skin prep. and allow it to dry before sticking on the condom, it's to protect your skin, it's not supposed to be sticky.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find the combo. that works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JK View Post
    Hi,
    I am C5/6 complete for 12 years. I have used a condom cath with J&J elastic tape for more than 11 years without many problems.
    Recently, I moved to San Mateo, CA from UT. Here, I feel much humidity compare to UT and my condom cath is leaking very often. I noticed that the elastic tape is not as sticky as it used to be. I am not sure J&J changed how they make the tape, or the humidity changed the stickiness of the tape.

So, I am seriously considering an indwelling cath although I don't prefer it. Do you guys have any input about my condom cath problem, suggestion for the indwelling cath, and so on?

Thank you for any feedback.
    If your attempts don't work for you living in California go for a suprapubic cathether. That's what I have. The surgery is a minor procedure. I've had mine since 2/05 & very little problems. Make sure you take Detrol LA every day w/it so your bladder doesn't spasm. The catheter goes directly in to my bladder thru the abdomen right above the pubic bone. I wear a leg bag during the day & use a bed bag when in bed. I wish you the best.
    I keep the catheter taped down to my abdomen with MEDIPORE Tape by 3M company. I use two sections of it. It's perforated between sections.
    I keep the pubic hair shaved on both sides of my abdomen above the pubic bone up to my belly button. Before I put the tape over the catheter to tape it to my abdomen I fold a little section of the tape on each corner that way it makes it easier when you go take the tape off to put on a clean piece. I also keep a folded 4 X 4 gauze under the catheter where it goes into my bladder to catch any drainage from the stoma site. For some reason I still have drainage from the stoma site after almost 4 yrs.
    Good luck ! I wish you well solving your problem.

JK,
    Welcome to northern California. I live in San Jose and am pretty familiar with San Mateo and hate to say that I don't believe humidity has anything to do with it. You want humidity? Go to Miami and then you'd know what it's really like.

Anyhow, I am assuming that you're using a condom with a leg bag. Though I seldom use a leg bag, when I do use one, I use a regular condom, roll it within an inch of the base of my penis, then use about an 8-inch strip of 3M Transpore tape (1-inch wide) to secure the condom against my penis with half the tape over the condom and the other half over the skin. I trim my bushes pretty good so that no hair interfers with the tape. I then give the area of taping a nice tight squeeze to ensure it's fully stuck.

At night time, I put on a drain bag and I do the same thing and rarely have I ever had a problem.

Here's a link to more info on the 3M tapes. They come in various widths:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beB385P3RT67gl