Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Pictures - Show your "Stuff" - Hunting stuff that is...

Nevada, we've tried several different blinds over the years and settled on the Ameristep Penthouse. They also have given me a great discount in the past since they support NWTF and Wheelin' Sportsmen. They allow enough room for a wheelchair hunter, an assistant and a videographer. http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/penthouse.html

Of course we don't have the cold to deal with that you do, but it was 6 degrees at one of our last hunts. If you keep only a small amount of the windows that you need open, dress properly and use on of the propane heaters we have, you'll be fine.

The blinds you two mention are great blinds IF they are permanently located. We have a hunt in one part of the state one weekend, load the blinds in the back of my van or into our trailer, and take them to the next hunt site which may be 1-200 miles away. No way could you have that type of flexibility with those blinds.

A couple years ago, I made a 6x6 blind mounted on a 6x10 trailer. Even though that blind is portable I find that I rarely move it off the farm. I found that for me in my powerchair, a 5x5 wasn't big enough. Lots of blinds discussed in this thread.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=79148
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Hey Deadeye. When they list wheelchair accessible on the Ameristep Penthouse, WHat do they mean. How do you get in and out of it? All the blinds I have the door is not big enough for my scooter to fit through so I have to lift them up and drive under. Unfrotunately this means I have to undo the tiedowns each time. In high winds it's a problem. With a big enough zipper door I could leave it tied down.
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

The door opening is plenty big to roll my powerchair thru without a problem(and we've also had several scooters use them too). I just roll up, unzip it, roll inside and then zip it back. The zippers are sometimes hard to reach so I put strong zip-ties on the zippers to make a bigger loop. If I can't reach the zip with my hand, I'll pull out my knife with the gut hook(It's purposely dull), and hook the zipper that way. Normal hands shouldn't have a problem.

We will also put a sheet or half sheet of plywood down for the wheelchair to sit on. This just makes turning and maneuvering around a lot easier. Often times the ground will be rock-solid frozen when we go in only to have it thaw and get mushy/muddy. Having the plywood in there solves that problem.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

The Penthouse is the same blind im looking at getting...id planned on getting a few of them so i would have one in different areas but these look pretty easy to move around.

Shaun, they're good quality, affordable blinds and work great with chairs. Nothing worse than being in a blind and not being to turn without jacking your chair back and forth. Like I said before, be sure to throw down a 1/2 sheet of plywood under your chair. They even come with shoot-thru mesh window screens that you can use for archery. With the screens zipped up tight it has zero effect on the arrow flight.(Don't use expandables tho!)

If you leave them out very long, the sun can bleach them, and trhe weather will take a toll on them over time. I'm not sure how they will hold up to all the snow you guys get.

What kind of propane heater do you use,just out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    What kind of propane heater do you use,just out of curiosity?
    I personally have this one...

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetai...catid=41&id=24

and we also bought 10 to use on our hunts. Very few problems. Also if you have a permanent blind you can just use a propane tank(with an adapter line).

They're on sale at most places now, Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. I've seen them as cheap as $65US.

My 14 year old son missed one of the shooter bucks we have on our lease yesterday. Nice 8 point with a wide and tall rack. We have plenty of trail cam pictures so he recognized him. Shot at him three times. Missed all three. He is usually a pretty good shot so we went to the range today. His gun was shooting 12 inches high at 100 yards. It was about that time that he shared with me that he had dropped his gun on the last hunt. The shot he missed was 130+. He was very upset. Lessons learned the hard way sometime have the most lasting effect. We are going in the morning and I could not convince him to swap stands with me. I wonder why?????

Oh well it gave me an opportunity to put my new scope on my 30.06 and sight it in. I got one of the Nikon Prostaff 3-9 40mm. It's not the best or most expensive scope out there by far but it is pretty good for the money.

Wish us luck. We won't be needing any heaters in the morning. Right now it is 59 degrees F at 12:45 EST. Only suppose to get into the hiugh 40's tonight. Where is all the cold weather?

here is my hunting rig.... Went threw 4" of snow last night... Also put a winch on it so my 6 yr old can hook me up to a tree when I get stuck... works great..........

Torque is unreal... pulled out an ATV yesterday....

I cant belive every para does not have a great power chair around... I got this one for free from a dead guy and put snow blower tires I had laying around.........

Hey OU812... Tell us some more about the rig you showed in the pictures. I have an old power chair I bought from a guy for $50 bucks. runs great. I have often wondered if it would do better than the Bruno scooter I have in the woods with some modification. Did you build the frame? etc.

Also the thiings my Bruno lacks is torque and suspension. It has plenty of speed. In fact too much. Once I get of the smooth world of concrete anything faster than half speeds bounces so much it is uncomfortable.

Does anybody know of a way or source to get the electric motor in my Bruno rewound to make it more powerful? Or maybe I need to look into modifying the gearbox. Anybody got any suggestions. I just want a little more POWER!!!! ARGH, ARGH, ARGH!!!!!