Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Pictures - Show your "Stuff" - Hunting stuff that is...

Grange, how does that doghouse blind work for you? I use a powerchair and I sit way too tall to use them. I have to lean over to peek ot the window and doing that in teen temp weather makes for a long day and killer neck pains

We have 10-12 Penthouse (bigger version of the doghouse) that we use in our program here in Va. I need that extra window height. Of course, folding up a Penthouse would be a bit tougher for you than the smaller doghouse.

I've about given up on being able to have a wallhanger to post this year. I've passed on several small bucks, 2 basket rack 8's, and missed, or couldn't find a nice 8 pointer with my ML. I've taken 6 does and I guess my "trophy" for the year was a big doe I shot at 339 yds two weeks ago. 243 wssm
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Grange,
    Nice set up up and you make it look easy too. I have a Permobil power chair that I'm going to try hunting Turkey's in the Spring. I use a manual most of the time, I think I will get spoiled with the power chair.

Have you ever moved around short distances with the Blind assembled and you in it?

Hey Deadeye... The doghouse blind works pretty good with the Bruno I am on. I do have to hook the front side up on the front bumper to get the windows up higher so I don't have to lean over to see out. I usually use the Doghouse when I am hunting new spots or trying to get in just the right spot to ambush "Brutus" the 13 pointer. I have several of the larger tents that I leave in place for the whole season on our food plots so the deer get used to them. I stake them down using bungee cords so I can undo them easily to lift them up and drive under. The only problem is the occasional really big wind event. I have arrived to hunt and found my tent gone for an excursion in the woods. I have luckily been able to find all that have done that with minimal damage. I am in the process of building some more permanent shooting houses to put on those plots. I have set up the larger tents by myself but it is hard and I can't be very stealthy.

Hey Wheels4One... I haven't tried driving around with it set-up. It would probably be possible but not worth the aggravation. I suppose if I am looking for material for America's Funniest Videos I could try it. I can set that blind up in practically no time. Taking it down is pretty easy too. I normally use a manual chair also but the Bruno opens up a whole lot more opportunity for me in the woods. It's a pretty good little unit.

Here in Georgia we get to hunt well into Mid January. I'm still hoping for a shot at the "Big One". I am really trying to get my 14 year old son looking down the barrel at one. He had to sit and watch the aforementioned 13 pointer at about 200 yards lift his head up and down feeding just over the crest of a hill. His head would come up and go down then it would pop up about ten feet to the right. Then ten feet back to the left. He watched it do this for 20 minutes. It never crested the hill. He didn't want to try a head shot. He was a very mad young man.

I have not tried turkey hunting yet since my airplane accident in March 2006. I am hoping to try it this spring. The new place I am hunting has more access than my previous lease. I miss hear "Old Tom" firing gobbles into a misty spring Georgia morn. Few things can send chills up a mans back and bring a smile to his face like a Tom double clutching as he comes in to your call. At least few things that don't involve taking your clothes off.

Hey Dead Eye my dad was born and raised in Staunton, VA. That is some beautiful country up there. I've always wondered what it was like to hunt there. Lots more open space than here in Georgia.

Let's keep telling lies and talking hunting guys. Thanks for responding.
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

We went out the past 2 weekends for 2nd season shot gun season. I shoot out of my truck window, and just drive around since we party hunt. Cuz no way would I want to deal with 0* weather 10mph winds and 6"+ of snow. Plus our group loves me when I come pick them up at the end of the drive after they've walked a mile up and down ravines, through multiflowera rose bushes, creeks, fences all while trudging through the snow.

I wish I had a camera to take a pic of the pile of empty shells from this past Saturday. I shot 15 times at a group of 9 does that were about 100 yards away. Didn't hit a one of them. They just stood there too!! My buddies were posted to the east about 150 yards, and the walkers were 300 yards or so to the west. We chased about 15 or so out of that nursery/timber. We didn't get any.

The week before we walked through a corn field that hadn't been picked yet. I was on the road because I couldn't get into a field because it was to muddy, and I didn't wanna get stuck. Anyways, my buddy called me and said that there were 2 does that ran up in the middle of the next field, so I take off up the road to check it out. I see the 2 does and am ready to go into chase mode. But they start trotting back towards all of my buddies, anyways I then throw the truck into reverse, and the next thing you know, I'm doing 40mph in reverse right along side of these 2 does chasing them down the road back towards the hunters. I get about 50 yards from my buddies, I slam on the brakes and then they unload on the 2 does. My chair in the box of the truck slams into the tailgaid and almost flips out of the box. But the best thing was.... we got both does!! Even though they turned out to be bambi's baby sisters...

T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

Hey RSieck,
    I haven't been on a good deer drive like that in a long time. There is a dog season in several counties here in Georgia. Mostly south of where I live. I used to know some guys with dogs years ago but have lost touch with them. Your story brings back memories though. Those running shots can be a challenge for sure.

Thanks for sharing. The next best thing to being there hunting is talking about it and sharing it with buddies.

I'm looking forward to getting back out in the blind Christmas afternoon. I'll probably fall asleep in the blind after eating a big old CHristmas day meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Hey Dead Eye my dad was born and raised in Staunton, VA. That is some beautiful country up there. I've always wondered what it was like to hunt there. Lots more open space than here in Georgia.

Let's keep telling lies and talking hunting guys. Thanks for responding.
    Staunton is 35 miles west of me, just the other side of the Blue Ridge Mountains(hills to you boys out west). There's some awesome hunting in that area with lots of public land available too. We have a Wheelin' Sportsmen archery hunt just outside the city limits and it's always successful and a lot of fun. We have a hunt planned next weekend 6-7 miles east of Staunton in Fishersville. I have 10-12 wheelchair hunters per day coming in for that.

I've hunted FL to the south and SC on the GA line(near Estill) but never across the line into GA. I love the long season you guys have.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

I love the Staunton area. My father's relatives still live in the area. I go there every two years to a family reunion in the summer. I look forward to the rolling hills and Blue Ridge mountains coming across Fancy Gap. Good stuff.... It has been a long time since I have been up there during the winter. When is the hunintg season in VA. My dad was an outdoorsman but mostly fishing and hunting groundhogs. He didn't big game hunt or bird hunt as far as I know. He died when I was 18 back in 1974. He taught me to fish and shoot a .22 at targets but I really started hunting after his death.

Yeah it is nice having a long season. If you really take advantage of it the difference between Sept. when it starts and Jan. when it closes is dramatic. Bow season is done in short sleeve t-shirts trying to keep the no-seeums and skeeters away from your skin without stinkin the place up. All the leaves on the trees make for some close in hunting. In my part of the state the rut usually gets really good about the 2nd week in Nov. when the mornings and afternoons are nice and cool. Dec. can be cold one day then hot the next but all the leaves are off the trees and the big boys are getting very wary. Then Jan. is usually cold as a well diggers a_s but still lots of fun.

I have given some thought in trying to put together some Accessible hunts. I need to talk to the land owner where I hunt and see what he thinks. Have you organized wheelchair hunts (Deadeye).

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I have given some thought in trying to put together some Accessible hunts. I need to talk to the land owner where I hunt and see what he thinks. Have you organized wheelchair hunts (Deadeye).
    Ummm just a few. I've been coordinating deer/turkey hunts for about 10 years with both Buckmasters and NWTF. I run the Wheelin' Sportsmen program here in Va and we had 17 deer hunts this fall all over the state. Last weekend was my first weekend home since Oct. 10.

Our archery season runs from 1st Sat in Oct to 1st Sat in Nov, then ML for 2 weeks, then general firearms until 1st Sat in Jan. I have a 2-day hunt next weekend, Jan 2-3 near Staunton. They just instituted a late-season doe-only season for the northern counties in the state due to the high deer population, so I'll wrap up this season with a doe-only at the 4200 acre Marriott Ranch in No. Va.

I remember hunting SC in Sept. skeeters as big as yellow jackets! I rolled up on a rattlesnake sunning on a logging road the 3rd day of my hunt. I got back to camp, told them about my encounter and they replied "Oh, the place is full of rattlers!" Why the hell they didn't tell me that BEFORE I'd spent 3 days rolling around in brush up to my knees I'll never know!!

Deadeye
    Was wondering what type of blinds you hunt out of? I have helped organize and hunted in a special handicap deer hunt here in North Dakota for the last six years. We started out using hay bales and have worked our way up the ladder so to speak to using some homemade wooden framed and plastic tarp types the last two years. November weather in North Dakota can be brutal. This year was a prime example with 10 inches of snow and a high temperature of 10⁰ f. We had four hunters this year including me and I was the only one who was able to stay out the entire day; as the others just could not cope with the cold. I have set my goal on getting some Texas style types for the next year so we can use heaters and try and let all the hunters spend as much time in the blind as possible. I have located one for a fair price (http://www.shadowhunterllc.com/content/view/5/5/ ) Now I just have to find the money to pay for them. Grange I have posted these pictures of some of my hunts before but what the heck.

Hey Nevada,

I found a site that makes great hunting blinds from scratch and will build them to what would work best for you. They have a 6 x 8 hunting trailer with a ramp that goes underneath or folds up the back, they also have 6 x 6 wich you can pull called a ATV blind. I have looked long time and these look like the best blind that I have found so far, they are expensive but you get what you pay for. They are 100% guaranteed for 10 years. I have a brother who lives in Dallas and he went down to wear they make them, a little town right below Ft. Worth he said they were really built well and didn't see where I could go wrong with them. I am saving up for the 6 x 8 trailer and hopefully will be putting my order in soon. WWW.RANCHKINGBLINDS.COM , Phone 1-800-763-7320