Thread: Going to Maui. What should I do while I'm there?

Going to Maui. What should I do while I'm there?

Going for two weeks next week. Anyone have any fun ideas?

Take lots of pictures to show off to your friends freezing their butts off. HEHEHEHEHEHE

Sorry, letting the devil come out of me a little.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Went there years ago on a company paid trip. Since I wasn't paying for being there, we blew some bucks on a bus trip to, and helicopter ride back from, the Haleakala volcano. It was a very cool trip, the bus takes you thru a rain forest on the way, along with a bunch of other fine stuff. The helicopter gave us an aerial view of the volcano and area, very cool.

For a lot less, you can do the bus both ways, but since there's only one road, it's the same way back. This was pre-sci, not sure how accessible this trip might be.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I've never been to Maui, I'm so jealous. If it was me I'd be just relaxing on the beach and in the ocean. I used to SCUBA dive so I'd try for a bit of that. If you never have it's amazing, give it a go. Anyhow have a great trip! So lucky! :P

My wife just got back from Kona. do the scuba thing, she said it's amazing, also said the bus trip is great because you get nto see the different environments on the island as you go higher. And she said DO NOT MISS shopping for jewlery. great prices, she said???At least that's her story and she's sticking to it.Have a great time.( She also found the $3.00 bloody mary special.)

Do a search for Maui, a bunch of people have been there, many accessible things to do.

Drive the road to Hana. Pick a weekday for the least traffic, and go early as the round trip can take 8 hours easily, esp. if you stop and get out of the car to see the views or take photos. Very few restrooms on the way...use the ones you find. Stop first in Paia and get something for a picnic on the way as there are also no places to get anything to eat until you get to Hana.

Maui Ocean Center. This aquarium is fairly new, fully accessible, and in a beautiful location. Great exhibits, and the restaurant (not the snack bar) is a good choice for a elegant lunch with a view.

Go snorkeling. There are a number of companies out of Lahaina that can accomodate a manual wheelchair and will help you get in and out of the water, and provide you with a noodle if needed for floatation. Going to Molokini is not as great as it is cracked up to be, and can be very crowded. Find a company that tells you they can help you see green sea turtles.

Shop in Lahaina. Everything from souveniers to fine art. Even if you don't buy, it is fun to look.

Go to a luau. Yes, I know it is a cliche, but going once can be a lot of fun, and you have to try poi. Many of the large hotels in Lahaina or Kaanapali have these, and they can accommodate your mobility needs.

Drive up Haleakala. The classic way to do this is to drive up in the middle of the night so you are at the top for sunrise, but it is a wonderful drive regardless of the time of day you do it. There are a lot of tours that go up in the night and then people ride down on bikes, so if you drive yourself, it is actually better to plan to NOT do this due to some traffic and bike riders that are not necessarily skilled at staying out of your way. It can be cold on top...take a jacket.

Take a whale watching trip There should be tons of humpbacks around while you are there. You can see them easily from the viewpoints on the road from Lahaina just north of Maalaea , but there is nothing like seeing them much closer. Again, there are companies in Lahaina that can accommodate a manual wheelchair, so check around.

Drive to Io Valley State Park. There is a 1/2 mile paved path to see the Io Needle, which can be done in a wheelchair with some help.

Lots of beaches in Maui to both swim or just sit and look at the beautiful water. The best surfer watching will be on the north shore this time of year, but avoid the narrow windy road on the north west coast...in fact most rental companies will not allow you to take your car on this road.

(KLD)

take me
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

On our website for our accessible condo which is on Maui check out our accessible activities page and it'll give a good selection of accessible activities. Our website is www.mauiaccessiblecondo.com Have a great time and the whales are currently there so hopefully you get a good whale show during your stay. Aloha Bruce