Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 12/19/08 Dr. Phil show

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Veteran Advisor,
    Actually. Here is an article our chief of our military forces posted in one of our biggest newspapers the other day. I believe he is addressing some of you’re questions here (at least the first part). I believe he calls for a military with more “unit belonging” (like the USMC). This due to the operations of the military forces has changed. He calls for the public and our political leaders to recognise this. I have only translated this article by Google translation, but I believe you will get the grasp of it.
    Leif,

Are there any sort of "core values" and/or leadership tenets that the Norwegian military relies upon to build a moral-warrior mentality as well as unit cohesion? It gets touched on in parts of the document you posted, but how are they taught to new members?

Quote Originally Posted by Veteran Advisor View Post
    Leif,

Are there any sort of "core values" and/or leadership tenets that the Norwegian military relies upon to build a moral-warrior mentality as well as unit cohesion? It gets touched on in parts of the document you posted, but how are they taught to new members?
    VA. There are core values, and those are written down in documents. But what Diesen above illustrated in the article is maybe illustrated by some slogans. Like the Army has this “Army – for peace and freedom” and the Navy “For the King, country and the honour of the flag”. Then one have some units slogans, like “Lead, don’t follow”, “Communiter Victor”, “Robur et fidelis” and so on. The latter here more shows building of unit cohesion. And I believe that Diesen was after that in his article, which basically was addressing politicians and also the public. As for how new members are taught these days with this new reorganized military I am not quite sure of, it’s soon thirty years since I was in the military. Have a nice holiday.

Show revisited

I forced myself to watch this show again. Yes, it was sensationalism, and even worse, commercialization at the expense of service members. I have vehemently opposed that here on CareCure, some will remember. The show made several valid points, I'll leave it at that.

On this Skippy...
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    One resource gleaned from the show is an organization in Illinois designed to assist returning vets from that state. It is paid for by the State of Illinois and run by a wounded vet by the name of Ms. Tammy Duckworth. Ms Duckworth is a former helicopter pilot. Check out the site www.illinoiswarrior.com.
    Yes, and you'll see Ms. Duckworth alongside Veteran Adviser in his profile pictures. In him, I believe we have an outstanding resource and advocate. Just saying thanks, Gunner.

Quote Originally Posted by quadvet View Post
    Yes, and you'll see Ms. Duckworth alongside Veteran Adviser in his profile pictures. In him, I believe we have an outstanding resource and advocate. Just saying thanks, Gunner.
    Thanks, QV. But it'll take the whole team here to make this forum great. I'm just a small part. You guys keep the good info and discussions coming because the new guys badly need it.

BTW, I did get to meet Major Duckworth. If you've never heard her story, you should. She's as tough and courageous as any Marine or soldier I've known. I hope she rises to the highest tiers of leadership in our country because we need more like her.

Quote Originally Posted by Veteran Advisor View Post
    Thanks, QV. But it'll take the whole team here to make this forum great. I'm just a small part. You guys keep the good info and discussions coming because the new guys badly need it.

BTW, I did get to meet Major Duckworth. If you've never heard her story, you should. She's as tough and courageous as any Marine or soldier I've known. I hope she rises to the highest tiers of leadership in our country because we need more like her.
    No pressure intended. It just feels great to finally have a veterans forum aimed specifically at those with spinal cord injury, with authoritative members as yourself and SCI-Nurse KLD with inside experience in the VA system to help eliminate disinformation.

Now we need to figure out how to get veterans to feel safe and open up.

I took a look at the good Major's story and what she's been up to. Yes, we need more like her. I'm surprised I'd not seen her before, or maybe I didn't make the connection.