Thread: balancing dependable care givers with flexible care givers to get increased freedom

balancing dependable care givers with flexible care givers to get increased freedom

how do you balance your needs regarding aides without frustrating/possibly losing them?
    I'm trying to maximize my life... meaning I've got quite a bit of flexibility with what I can do activity wise & find myself limited by my ability to hire people that can get me where I want to go... don't get me wrong, I've a number of people working for me, but none of them can do everything
    1.I need people to get me up:
    this is really quite simple except for the bowel program... I need someone to do this at least 1/2 a dozen times before I'm comfortable that they really know what they're doing
    2. Driving:
    I've a number of potential drivers with varying amounts of availability again very simple except for scheduling... I can't do random things... going places on someone else's schedule (if they have 4 hours to take me somewhere, then that's all I've got)... sometimes every one of these people is busy & I'm screwed
    3. Night shift:
    I live with my parents & this is a problem I've not solved... can't stay alone at night so if they leave I have had general success at finding people to spend the night for short periods, but it worries me
    ***4. Travel:*
    and this is the big one... took my first real trip in August & want to travel alot more but in order to travel someone must work for me for awhile, know the bowel program, be patient enough to deal with some of the difficulties that arise when traveling with a disabled person and possibly be willing to wander around with me at our destination
    here's my catch 22: example: I have one nurse who's worked for me for six years, can't do work as a driver & can't travel... in order to find people to travel, train them & develop a trust/comfort factor I have to take fairly significant hours away from her, but this new person may only work for 7/8 months for all I know & so I've substituted hours away from my regular person, then when the new person leaves the main person comes back, hopefully... I feel like a dick, basically taking hours away from very dependable people with less flexibility (I wind up manipulating their schedules like a yo-yo)
    hope this makes sense... curious what others do... to find aides that meet all their needs
    thanks

Unfortunately it's a crap shoot. Your situation sounds a lot like what I went through for a long time. Now I have found people that can fill those needs although through trial and error. It relly sucks but until you find those people that is about all you can do. Good luck, and once you find a good one hold on to them.

wchair, what is your level of injury? It would help if you filled out your profile which is blank.

Why do you need someone with you 24/7? Are you on a vent?

Are you actually using nurses (RNs or LVNs/LPNs) for your care or are they nursing assistants (HHA or CNA)? From an agency or private hire?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    wchair, what is your level of injury? It would help if you filled out your profile which is blank.

Why do you need someone with you 24/7? Are you on a vent?

Are you actually using nurses (RNs or LVNs/LPNs) for your care or are they nursing assistants (HHA or CNA)? From an agency or private hire?

(KLD)
    I'm c-5, very weak c-5 though, some people actually guess that I'm c-4, didn't mean to imply I need someone with me 24/7... I do need someone here at night if that's what gave you the 24-7 notion, I've thought about spending nights alone & the pitfalls seem too dangerous (also, my parents will simply refuse to leave at night if I don't have someone here).

My real question went to balancing regular dependable people with people who have the flexibility to do things like travel... there are fifteen bowel days in a month & 2 become comfortable enough with someone to travel I need to give them a decent chunk of those for several months... which risks alienating the dependable person who has less flexibility... I use everything from RN's to students, to occasional agency people-all private pay
    best

Around some therapy centers you can find PTs or OTs that may need a place to stay.... rent for help, they can be more sympathetic to your daily living. Unfortunately you have to be in a symbiotic relationship, money for time---yada yada.... but someone in the medical therapy field may be a better alternative--- usually younger people just learning the ropes, both of you could benifit....

jm2c

maybe in your job posts you could list the various hours and shifts you are looking for with the statement, "including, but not limited to" or, "and/or". Dont stop looking after 1 good prospect, keep an eye out fore more leads.

Quote Originally Posted by hubofagreatwife View Post
    Around some therapy centers you can find PTs or OTs that may need a place to stay.... rent for help, they can be more sympathetic to your daily living. Unfortunately you have to be in a symbiotic relationship, money for time---yada yada.... but someone in the medical therapy field may be a better alternative--- usually younger people just learning the ropes, both of you could benifit....

jm2c

yes, this is the conundrum, it seems like you basically have the ability to hire & fire, but punitive measures in between don't seem to work very well, you can cut back on people's hours etc., but once you start taking hours away that trust factor kinda sinks (wondering if they value the job period) & they eventually realize that if you fire them it creates a large pain for you (I fired an aide recently & there were at least 1/2 a dozen things I wound up not doing simply because I didn't have anyone to fill that role)

odd thing about people justt starting in the medical field... I've found that nursing students are some of the most unsympathetic people I've hired (just my experience with a few... I'm not trying to paint with a broad brush)

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbv View Post
    maybe in your job posts you could list the various hours and shifts you are looking for with the statement, "including, but not limited to" or, "and/or". Dont stop looking after 1 good prospect, keep an eye out fore more leads.
    yes, this is what I do, the balancing act comes in when I try to mingle them all together... winding up with a bunch of half trained people

Quote Originally Posted by wchair View Post
    yes, this is what I do, the balancing act comes in when I try to mingle them all together... winding up with a bunch of half trained people
    I think that it's important to evaluate where their strengths and weaknesses are once they have started with you. I understand it's not easy trust me. I have found good people on Craig's list and care.com recently. The good ones haven't come all at once and I have interviewed several, but I have been continually looking. Just trying to keep an eye out on what/who I want in the long term, while focusing on who/what I have at the present time with my help.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbv View Post
    I think that it's important to evaluate where their strengths and weaknesses are once they have started with you. I understand it's not easy trust me. I have found good people on Craig's list and care.com recently. The good ones haven't come all at once and I have interviewed several, but I have been continually looking. Just trying to keep an eye out on what/who I want in the long term, while focusing on who/what I have at the present time with my help.
    thanks Liz, that's essentially what I've been trying to do... there are different aides for different tasks... & I've always got flyers up at two local schools & hospitals... seems like they come in bunches & then everything goes dead for awhile... trying to teach them, to see who's good at what & that perpetual fear that I may miss a good one just because I didn't recognize their competency quick enough... also tremendous disappointed when you think you've got a good one, you've given them hours to the detriment of other workers, and they let you down