Thread: What's the cost upgrade to titanium

What's the cost upgrade to titanium

My DME told me to upgrade my new TR from aluminum to titanium it was $1215 I might be missing something but, the order form reads $620. Any insight would be helpful.

Both numbers are in the right ballpark. On my quotes, the first number ($1,215) is close to TiLite's list charge and the second number ($620) is close to the Medicare allowable amount. If you have Medicare, the cost to you will be 20% of the Medicare allowable amount.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Both numbers are in the right ballpark. On my quotes, the first number ($1,215) is close to TiLite's list charge and the second number ($620) is close to the Medicare allowable amount. If you have Medicare, the cost to you will be 20% of the Medicare allowable amount.

You're saying the prices listed on TiLite's order forms are not their retail list prices?! So, if I ordered a chair from them they would double those prices?!

That doesn't sound right, at all.

It seems far more likely that both of your DME vendors providing the quotes are jacking the prices up on the options (and requiring an ABN form be signed so they can change whatever they want.)
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    You're saying the prices listed on TiLite's order forms are not their retail list prices?! So, if I ordered a chair from them they would double those prices?!

That doesn't sound right, at all.

It seems far more likely that both of your DME vendors providing the quotes are jacking the prices up on the options (and requiring an ABN form be signed so they can change whatever they want.)
    Here's the catch. When John wrote order form, you take that to mean TiLite's order form. I took it to mean the DME's order form, which often relfect Medicare allowable amounts.
    Last edited by August West; 09-22-2017 at 01:56 AM.

I looked into it some more. TiLite's 2017 order form lists the titanium frame upgrade to cost $1,350. TiLite's 2016 order form lists the titanium frame upgrade to cost $620. While the difference seems high, it's just on paper. In reality, who pays list price?

Here's the takeaway. Even though the titanium upgrade 2017 list price is more than twice 2016 list price, I was quoted a lower price for the total chair in 2017 than in 2016. So don't fret the details as long as you get a fair copay price for the total chair.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by August West; 09-22-2017 at 02:28 AM.

Blog Entries
    Ahhhhhhh. Cool, thanks for clearing that up. (Can't help but wonder what drove a doubling of the price. I'd be surprised if it were their costs doubling.)
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

What do they have to lose? Even if Medicare doesn't pay more, private payers may pay more. Even if private payers don't pay more, they get a bigger write-off. It's funny money.

Blog Entries
    They could lose customers. Like me. I don't reward companies that overcharge a captive customer base. Wheelchair related crap is already way more costly than it should be IMO. Probably because the market isn't terribly big, but as a consumer where I spend my dollars is my only power.

I agree. I would be outraged if I had to pay 2x for the same thing. But I'm not paying any more.