Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Heart Broken Daughter Recent T12

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Heart Broken Daughter Recent T12

My daughter (10 years old) fell out of her 2nd story window 11-9-2008. Please spread the word that windows screens give you a false sense of security. My daughter leaned on the screen by standing on the bed when the screen came loose and she fell with it.

She is at Barrows in Phoenix and expected to be released 12-23-2008. So far we know it is a T12 spinal injury. They haven't yet determined if it is complete or incomplete. They did mention it was one of the worst they have seen and at some point I understood it was completely severed, but after talking with the surgeon again he said it was hard to tell. She is getting pain in her left hip and in her left leg and can feel cold hands on her upper thigh. No movement, but pain and sensations. She can tell when her bladders is full and has experienced pain (spasms?) in her bladder. I guess the more she can feel the better.

It has been a very difficult time since the accident, trying to be with her at rehab and put time in at work etc etc. I wish we could turn back time or wake up from this nightmare.

We are looking to get a chair lift for our stairs. I was hoping to find something that could just take the wheelchair up. An elevator is too expensive and the platform for a wheelchair won't work on our stairs. Any thoughts on chair lifts? We will need a wheelchair upstairs and down stairs that she can transfer to. We are going to the vendor this week to see if she can even transfer to the chair (might be too high).

CXL
    Last edited by gcblarsen; 12-16-2008 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gcblarsen View Post
    My daughter (10 years old) fell out of her 2nd story window 11-9-2008. Please spread the word that windows screens give you a false sense of security. My daughter leaned on the screen by standing on the bed when the screen came loose and she fell with it.

She is at Barrows in Phoenix and expected to be released 12-23-2008. So far we know it is a T12 spinal injury. They haven't yet determined if it is complete or incomplete. They did mention it was one of the worst they have seen and at some point I understood it was completely severed, but after talking with the surgeon again he said it was hard to tell. She is getting pain in her left hip and in her left leg and can feel cold hands on her upper thigh. No movement, but pain and sensations. She can tell when her bladders is full and has experienced pain (spasms?) in her bladder. I guess the more she can feel the better.

It has been a very difficult time since the accident, trying to be with her at rehab and put time in at work etc etc. I wish we could turn back time or wake up from this nightmare.

We are looking to get a chair lift for our chairs. I was hoping to find something that could just take the wheelchair up. An elevator is too expensive and the platform for a wheelchair won't work on our stairs. Any thoughts on chair lifts? We will need a wheelchair upstairs and down stairs that she can transfer to. We are going to the vendor this week to see if she can even transfer to the chair (might be too high).

CXL
    My heart goes out to you. Just wanted tell you I am saying a prayer for you and your daughter.

So sorry.Hope we can be of help. You might try the Equipment section forum to see if they know how to acquire the stair lift and also the social worker at the facility.

CWO

Welcome to CC. Very sorry to hear about your daughter.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Sending thoughts your way.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

I regret to say that I know exactly how you feel, I just joined the forum today as well. My son's injury was 11/22. He was on a trampoline with his girlfriend, did a back flip and shattered his t12. The odd thing is that he didn't fall off or hit the railing. My husband and I have been here around the clock since the accident. Unfortunately, my husband was informed 2 weeks before the accident that was being layed off. However, God works in ways we do not understand and that was just part of His plan.

Like you, we are still very emotional, have tons of questions and would give anything to turn back time. We are near Houston and they say that we are in the #4 rehab center in the nation, but I can't help but to feel that it isn't enough. There is so much information out there regarding therapies, treatments, etc.. but of course, as we are all told, "no two SCI's are alike".

As far as the housing issues, our son's room is also upstairs. We decided because of the stairs and the danger in lifting him up and down and an elevator is impractical that we would turn my downstairs office into his room for now. The only problem with that is that the bathroom downstairs is only partial. However, a friend contacted a home builder and they are going to do the entire rennovations complimentary! SUCH A BLESSING FOR US!!! Have you talked to some builders or contractors, many are willing to help if you let them know what you need. That's been one of the harder things for me, so I'm not real good at it.

I can tell you that my faith and God's love has kept our family strong.
    This is one of my favorite scriptures and it's posted in my son's room:
    Hebrew: 11:1 - Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

PM me if you would like to talk mom to mom!
    I'll be praying for you and your family!
    Last edited by akeleshian; 12-16-2008 at 11:59 PM. Reason: spelling

I am sending u and your family a big hug.
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

It's been a couple of years since I'd been down the Barrows rehab, maybe this week I'll stop by and say hi. I wish your daughter well and maybe I'll be down to see her soon
    Last edited by rybread; 12-17-2008 at 03:00 AM.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

My son got injury on July 26th at C6/7...and we are still adjusting our life. Read as much as you can, this web site is filled with informations and knowledgable people. SCI is not just affect the patient, it affects the whole family.
    I hope you can balance your time well, it is tough to try to do everything but don't forget to take care of yourself. That's the most important part.
    About the lift and wheelchairs, please talk to the PT at the rehab. center. They have the most experience and they know what your daughter will fix.

Take care
    Tim's mom

Omg you folks, how horible, kids, it's not fair, but then ask any of us, we'll agree with that statemant.But kids should get a chance to grow up.
    Yhis is a wonderful place for you to find. The information hiway here is a freeway. God bless your families and many prayers to all of you especially duringthis holy season of Christmas Love and prayers.