Thread: I'm getting collagen injections...

I'm getting collagen injections...

and not in my lips! I switched to a new urologist (one that treats a lot of SCIs) last week and he thinks collagen injections (Contigen) in the urethal tissue will help me with my incontinence issues. I went in today to get the collagen allergy test. Kind of like getting a TB test. Hopefully I'll be all clear and will get the injections in January I have a very flaccid bladder and sphincter, so I am constantly leaking. Since I'm trying to get walking full-time, this is a big problem. I know there are a few people on CC with similar issues, so I'll let you know how the whole thing goes.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. -Mahatma Gandhi

Molly - you can be the guinea pig You can jump first and check how deep the water is.
    I think that is great that you are going to find out if you can quit leaking.
    Question: Does the collagen injection last for a few years and then you have to repeat the injections?
    Just for others information, I spoke to my Urologist and he said that the collagen shots are only successful in women and not men because of the anatomy of the urethra as it traverses the prostate is cavernous and it can't compress. I don't think I am using technical terms here.
    Still , if you are successful , Molly, I wouldn't mind the name of your urologist..
    Jon

Jon--Happy to be the guinea pig My uro told me that it should last 6+ months. Not very long, but the procedure is relatively non-invasive. The nurse said today that my appointment is one hour. I believe there is risk to develop allergy over time, but I don't necessarily mind 1-2 times a year if it will keep me dry. I'm pretty sure that my urologist thinks it would work on a man, something about more urethal tissue to work with (than on a woman). I'll confirm that with him when I talk to him again though.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. -Mahatma Gandhi

It helps some but does have to be repeated forever and if overweight or alot of abdominal pressure, it is somewhat limited.

CWO

Molly did it work?
    I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and
    hunger.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivyella View Post
    Molly did it work?
    Hasn't visited this site since 2011, so unlikely to get any answer.

(KLD)