Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loss of Appetite?

I have the cuff down most of the time but when I eat it is up so that makes sense. I had a swallow study last when I was in rehab. Can it improve or can I do things to help it improve so I can get to a point when I can have it down when I eat to perhaps enjoy food more?
    I lost a lot of weight initally but it's leveled off after gaining a few pounds back. We are watching the calories carefully. Something I always did but just at a greater number. I am taking a multi and eating very healthy as I always did. Thanks for replying everyone.

I was also thinking, maybe my mom is just a poor cook? LOL Could be.

Yes, it is possible that your swallow has improved. Discuss getting another swallow study with your SCI physician to determine if you need the cuff up for meals. Some people actually are able to change to an uncuffed trach if they can learn to sleep with their mouth shut (otherwise is can be a problem with alarms).

(KLD)

appetite

My sister's situation is a little different, but she had absolutely no appetite and wouldn't/couldn't eat. (she drank three ensure+ a day with extra protien powder added) She was given an appetite stimulant "Megase" (sp?) and it really seemed to work well after a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaA View Post
    My sister's situation is a little different, but she had absolutely no appetite and wouldn't/couldn't eat. (she drank three ensure+ a day with extra protien powder added) She was given an appetite stimulant "Megase" (sp?) and it really seemed to work well after a few weeks.
    That all sounds good getting more protein in my diet from shakes. The concern I have is how it might effect my bowel program and regularity. Worried about accidents. I know from before they go through me a lot quicker.

I had the same thing
    I still don't really get hungry...
    I used to run cross country and track...
    so i used to eat all day long..
    but it gets better as far as the taste goes
    atleast

Hey Nat, I know exactly what you mean too. I am now 2+ yrs. post and still not eating like I used to. Lack of calorie burning activity, depression, vent, meds...all have to do with lack of appetite. I went thru the taste thing too. I can't remember what med I dropped or changed, but my taste buds reacted almost immwdiatly. It's 1:30 in the AM so I won't wake my wife up to find out. She will remember, but it's kinda a self preservation thing right now! PM me tomorrow and I will set that info and you can see if it's a med you are on. It was if I remember, a common med for us SCI folks. ttys Dave
    Dave E. C6-7 Incomp. Quad 9-06

"NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF YOUR DREAMS!"
    "THERE IS NOTHING BETTER FOR THE INSIDE OF A MAN / WOMAN THAN THE OUTSIDE OF A HORSE"

MY BAD!

"THERE IS NOTHING BETTER FOR THE INSIDE OF A MAN / WOMAN THAN THE OUTSIDE OF A HORSE"

Your mom just called and she is PISSED OFF! Not the kind of "pissed" you Canadians think of (drunk), the American version, MAD! LOL :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie_A View Post
    Recently injured here, quadriplegic as of March 2008 and since I have had no appetite to speak of. I don't feel hungry at all and have no desire to eat. This is a huge change from before when I ate multiple meals each day, I was an athlete. Adding to this not only do I not feel hungry food doesn't taste the same at all. It's all pretty bland now. I would forget to eat or just not eat at all now if it wasn't for my family and caregivers. Just concerned now for a few reasons. Is it just a result of the spinal cord injury, might it be due to depression also or a combination of both? I would kind of like to know if it will change because I used to love food so much. Just hoping for some advice, answers on one of the many issues I'm having now. Thanks guys. Nat.
    I'm a T10 complete para and also have no appetite. Whenever I do have one it's very small, and I used to be able to EAT. I was the one that would always say, "You gonna' finish that?!" I guess it just comes with the territory, ya know? I force myself to eat at times and at times I'll go a few days without eating, because the thought of food makes my stomach hurt. Don't understand it, but that's why I lost 70lbs