Thread: A frazzled thread...

A frazzled thread...

My threads continue to unravel as I learn more and more about the affects of the spinal cord stroke. Every time, I pick myself up from one situation, another one hits. I'm overwhelmed and I could really use a word or two, wise or unwise, to let me know that I am not alone in this battle. If you're listening, please talk to me. This may not be the best place to start, but hey, I just jumped right in and thought I'd announce my raveled threads. By the way, I love the word, "thread" in this context. Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by domino View Post
    My threads continue to unravel as I learn more and more about the affects of the spinal cord stroke. Every time, I pick myself up from one situation, another one hits. I'm overwhelmed and I could really use a word or two, wise or unwise, to let me know that I am not alone in this battle. If you're listening, please talk to me. This may not be the best place to start, but hey, I just jumped right in and thought I'd announce my raveled threads. By the way, I love the word, "thread" in this context. Great job!
    Domino, give me a few days. I haven't written about spinal stroke for a long time and you have given me an idea about a topic. I will start one.

Wise.

You are not alone

I had my spinal infarction 8 yrs ago when I was 50.The hardest part of recovery had nothing to do with myself.It was my husband's re-training to do everything I used to do for him and doing it himself. Oh yeah,having to lift me onto the toilet and tub chair,getting used to those disgusting bowel accidents I had in the beginning,and having to go to the store(he hates being around masses of people).After 8 yrs its all worked out(so to speak).He is now on ssdi also,so the only problems we have now is the lack of a few million dollars.Haha.Oh yeah,and the awful weather here in the great northwest. So don't get discouraged.Like everything in life,time cures all.Have a happy holiday Domino

Domino and jm, what were the causes of your strokes? Mine was at C5-7 from ischemia in 1992, cause still unkown.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

If ischemia is the loss of blood flow to the spinal cord,that's me.A few years before the infarction,I had an aortic dissection.I lost my right kidney(it just died) I had numbness in my right thigh and increasing weakness in my legs.You'd think an internist,cardiologist and,especially,a vascular surgeon would have put 2+2 together. My attitude has always been "Hey,it happened,its not going to change,so get on with life! "Not that I haven't cried over the past 8 yrs. If I had been in my 20's I might have hoped for a cure,but being in my 50's,I knew there wouldn't be a cure in my lifetime.

cure?

dude, there isn't going to be a cure in anyone's lifetime. 20's-50's, what's the difference? At least you had better years than those like me who got wiped out by spinal infarction in their 20's. I don't know if you'd heard, but loss of blood flow to spinal cord, if long and severe enough wipes out gray matter severely!! Without that, it is end of story. Nobody can cure this, and nobody will in the next 30-50 years at the very least. i'm sick and tired of being called negative, a jerk, etc. I'm stating nothing but the facts.

oh yea, wise young ( god bless him ), will tell you that neurons aren't entirely wiped out, that you need only 10% of axons to improve, etc, etc, etc. It may sound good on paper, but if you're already a full blown paraplegic, it makes no difference, it cannot be reversed, and anyone who says it can is seriously living a lie!

cdurfee, was your ischemia from a traumatic injury? That kind of loss of oxygen and blood from the cord is very different from that lost during heart surgery or from an unknown cause through a very small artery to the cord above the T6 level.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

i had a misdiagnosed type 4 spinal av fistula on the anterior pial spinal cord just above the conus. no symptoms whatsoever until a doctor's spinal tap started my painful, terrible decline into a full blown paraplegic loser in the lottery of life. the pain is unbearable 10 years later, so hopefully you can understand my dark, cynical, realistic nature.

susan- am i mistaken or are you a hot babe?!