Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IBOT closing down shop

Segway=$5K IBOT=$25K ...go figure.

Yeah, it cost more to get it 'certified' as a piece of medical equipment, but then again, it could be sold as the "LazyBoy Version" of the Segway for maybe $10K and I'm sure more buyers could be found...including me.

They hyped their super-duper claims running department, turns out some subcontractor paper pusher with no initiative was doing their insurance claims. I was left swinging in the wind when I played that game. I got much much better assistance ramming my mobile-equipped standing frame down my insurance companies throat from Apria. Maybe Apria in Chicago should have done the insurance claims for them? Hmmm.

Interesting machine nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
    Very sad. Another example of great technology that never found it's way to those that could use it. Price and the fact that J&J was never great at marketing chairs.

Be Big,
    Alan

One last time:

Now the Ibot is truly a "Unicorn"
    I'll fondly remember this "dually" pic. As far as "iBot memorabilia" goes, it is definitely a classic.

Thanks for posting it one final...

...Uh...I'm getting a little verklempt...

.......Talk amongst yourselves!

This hurts... I feel sorry for the people at Indy and hope they do not get hurt out of this as well. For us owners it is going to be tough changing life back to a different chair.

why does everything related to sci cost so dang much

I hope Johnson and Johnson sells the iBOT to some other company. Then the new company can shed all the multimillion dollar development cost and maybe make a profitable run of it.

The iBOT can sell, it just needs a bit more work. Like a car lock, for example.

iBot blues

My iBot had critcal errors from day one. I put it through it paces! It is 2 months old and is a great tool. I supervise homes being built and it is much needed as no one tends to buy flat lots anymore. They are picking the whole machine up this Thursday to get it fixed right. We are in luck for tech support, parts and on site help until the end of 2013. The factory will not build or sell anymore as of the last day of December. I will try to get parts wherever I can, but being the newest model with different arm rests, back and leg rests may prove challenging. There are plenty of machinests that can match everything, but it won't be cheap. I wanted the new docking for driving when I get older, but I'll have to build one of those too. As long as I have batteries and the software stays in tack it will last a long time! They sold the chair at a loss anyway and the extra strain put on the launch of the chair by the FDA was a huge hurdle. The stair climbing was the hold up. No deep pockets here to pick up the ball and run with it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ip View Post
    The iBOT can sell, it just needs a bit more work.
    Outside of the VA and possibly some worker's comp plans, no insurance will pay for it. Climbing stairs is NOT a medical necessity.
    With the price point for the chair where it is, the market is simply not there.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by jdoyle View Post
    Outside of the VA and possibly some worker's comp plans, no insurance will pay for it. Climbing stairs is NOT a medical necessity.
    With the price point for the chair where it is, the market is simply not there.

JD
    That's for sure! A friend of mine who has cerebral palsy has been wanting an IBOT ever since they came on the market, but Medicare and Medicaid refuse to pay for them because they are super expensive (heck, a standing power wheelchair is less expensive).

Jessie

I agree, should be $9,000. Maybe $12,000 or $15,000 max.

But it does also need work. No car lock [not ez-lock compatible]. Pretty wide footprint [drives like a zamboni, in my opinion.] Tires go flat, need solid inserts. Hard to plug in re-charger for quads [have to pull back a snap thing]. LOUD recharger. These things add up, and make it difficult to use. So I'm saying it wasn't ONLY the price.

well, i've been warning ppl about the Ibot for a long time. as an engineer, i could see service probs, but i didn't think the whole thing would go belly up. i sincerely hope some company picks it up and does it right.